Desktop - HDTV Connection

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
This really falls under several different topics but this seems the most relevant.

About a month ago I had my computer hooked up to a Samsung 37" LCD HDTV with no issues. The computers display settings even recognized the TV as a Samsung and everything worked soundly.

About two weeks ago I purchased a Vizio 47" LED-LCD HDTV and sold the 37" to a friend. Everything pretty much works as it did with the 37" though there are a couple things I was wondering if the community could help me with.

1. My computer no longer recognizes my HDTV by name but as "Display 1". This isn't a big issue but I was wondering if there are possible settings in Windows for setting it up to display my brand? Or are there added options upon just the standard display and Nvidia controls?

2. When my display is turned on while my computer is on the Windows 7 desktop, some of the windows will be blackened over until I open, move or close that window. I can move things in front of it and it acts much like the eraser in say Paint where it slowly gets rid of the black as I go over it. Would this be a computer or display setting?

HDTV: Vizio XVT473SV
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-xvt473sv/4505-6482_7-34122870.html

GPU: EVGA GTX 460 SC

Connected via HDMI

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Just to add a bit of detail, I'm basically asking whether there are any other drivers that would enhance the way my HDTV understands the signal from my computer or am I just stabbing in the dark?

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for the post. Not the answer I wanted but thanks all the same.

HikingGuy

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Have you loaded the lastest Drivers for you monitor? I've seen the situation where the Video Card won't recognize a specific monitor because the PC only has generic drivers loaded. After I loaded the latest Drivers from my Monitor manufacturer's website, the Video Card recognized the make and model of the Monitor. Hope this helps.

HikerGuy

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for the reply!

My question then is if there is a display driver from Vizio for my model? This had occurred to me that it could be a driver issue but Vizio's support page only offers downloads of the setup guide and nothing more. Lately , the TV has stopped doing that whole blackout thing yet I don't think I made any changes to it.