Diablo 3 Combat Will Be Lag-Free; PayPal Supported

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Lag free? But will average rigs be able to handle the data processing? some youtube vids are actually showing some in-game lags, probably due to video settings.. hmmm.. wondering..

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]tangkung[/nom]Lag free? But will average rigs be able to handle the data processing? some youtube vids are actually showing some in-game lags, probably due to video settings.. hmmm.. wondering..[/citation]

This kind of data processing will be trivial with pseudo-modern processors.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
So if the client is handling the game, why can there not be a local side single player game? Sorry, but I have a feeling that the lag free feel is due to the fact that it's a F&F beta, not because Blizzard has somehow done something no other company has been able to do and that's eliminate internet lag.

I think when a few million players are playing, the lag will rear it's ugly head.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I'm more worried about the penalty, getting kicked off the server.

I have a pretty crappy 3MB DSL connection. Actual speed is rather low because I have a noisy line. When I play TF2 every now and then the screen stutters and I end up dead somewhere I'm assuming because the server "reset me" to where I should have been. I'd rather see this happen then kicked and have to reload everything.

The calculator should be fun to play with. Is there a listing somewhere of all the skill and damage they can do?

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
well you cant change your own ping so the game can only be as close to your ping to the server client if you got 300ping to the server you got 300 ping and no less.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Being in F&F beta, FPS =/= Latency from some of the comments. The game has some fps issues which can be seen with a lot of action, at times it can be random but such is a BETA. The game latency wise seems to run fine, I get 60-70ms low end and 160ms on a high normal end. BUT, there are intermittent issues sometimes that cause the game to halt. You are able to run around but enemies don't react to you or skills and or arrows won't fire off but you melee attack for nothing. MS will spike 1600-3500-16000 nothing happens you can't exit the game or leave your current, forcing you to end the D3 client only to login again with no issues.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Seems to me this could only work with single-player games (which appears to be the case in the sample video). And lag in single-player is only an issue thanks to Blizzard for forcing people to play on Battle.Net, even during single-player campaigns. So thanks, Blizzard, for fixing an issue you introduced with your over-zealous efforts to curb piracy.

With multi-player, actions by each player must be arbitrated somehow, and that's usually done by the server. Otherwise, you might have one person killing a monster at the same time another person is getting killed (or in PVP, two players killing each other at the same time, how would that work?). Imagine if you make the killing blow to a monster on your computer, but on your friends computer, the monster casts some spell that kills you instead, how would this be resolved on the server? For that matter, how does each client end up fighting the same monster? If each client computer makes it's own decision, wouldn't you technically be fighting two different monsters, a copy for each person in the party? I don't think that could work, so I don't think this solves lag where it's traditionally most annoying, multi-player (traditionally, because traditionally, single-player don't got lag!!!).

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I have spent countless hours in both Diablo and Diablo II. I love both games and will always look back on them as great gaming experiences. However it saddens me to think that I may not even buy this one. I simply cannot support the auction house this game will have.

I know some people may read this and simply think that I could just choose not to use the auction house and therefor it has no effect on me. However this is not true. Other players that I play with will undoubtedly use it to gear themselves. If the game allows PVP in a similar fashion to Diablo II it surely will effect me as well. This is going to promote bots farming for unique items and give Blizzard a reason not to combat them. This is also going to promote players to cheat and use auto-loot grabs so all legit players playing with them will never get a quality drop because it's already looted before it even actually hits the floor.

Is this the Diablo any of us wants?

frederico

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I have spent countless hours in both Diablo and Diablo II. I love both games and will always look back on them as great gaming experiences. However it saddens me to think that I may not even buy this one. I simply cannot support the auction house this game will have. I know some people may read this and simply think that I could just choose not to use the auction house and therefor it has no effect on me. However this is not true. Other players that I play with will undoubtedly use it to gear themselves. If the game allows PVP in a similar fashion to Diablo II it surely will effect me as well. This is going to promote bots farming for unique items and give Blizzard a reason not to combat them. This is also going to promote players to cheat and use auto-loot grabs so all legit players playing with them will never get a quality drop because it's already looted before it even actually hits the floor. Is this the Diablo any of us wants?[/citation]

Blah, blah blah :)

Look, you can start your bitter little crusade - but you will never be happy.

When Starcraft 2 came out, there were those who said they would never play because there was no LAN and because it was coming out in three installments.

I play the game every second day versus someone who sits right beside me, I've never once had an "issue" with the non-LAN play.

These people are still going, endlessly, a tiny little crusade of bitter people. Most of whom probably have and play the game anyway.

Moral of the story? stop hypothesizing and building a case against something you know little or nothing about - shutup and deal with it :)

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I have spent countless hours in both Diablo and Diablo II. I love both games and will always look back on them as great gaming experiences. However it saddens me to think that I may not even buy this one. I simply cannot support the auction house this game will have. I know some people may read this and simply think that I could just choose not to use the auction house and therefor it has no effect on me. However this is not true. Other players that I play with will undoubtedly use it to gear themselves. If the game allows PVP in a similar fashion to Diablo II it surely will effect me as well. This is going to promote bots farming for unique items and give Blizzard a reason not to combat them. This is also going to promote players to cheat and use auto-loot grabs so all legit players playing with them will never get a quality drop because it's already looted before it even actually hits the floor. Is this the Diablo any of us wants?[/citation]
Not only do I believe you are right that Blizzard will not combat them, I believe if the items sold by the botters sell for enough where Blizz is making money on the sale, they will encourage such botters and farmers.

There is also the issue that Blizzard has already said if too many of an item appears on the AH, they will then nerf those items. I know they did this previously, but single player players didn't have to download the patches which nerfed items. For D3 they have no choice.

And I also agree with Hellwig that this seems like a fix designed only for the single player campaigns as it just wouldn't work well with multiplayer for the reasons he/she stated. Of course as they said, Blizz themselves created this problem and put all this work on themselves.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

1. If you spent countless hours in D1/D2 you're very well aware of the side-economy where it was possible to get anything you wanted for real money through ebay and whatnot. Especially D1 was a hackfest.

2. You haven't done your research on looting. When something drops its yours only, others can't see it. Essentially there's a round robin style built in so no, there won't be auto-grab bots and stuff.

3. PvP will be done in arenas. Not PKing in the open. So again, no one will grief you.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Harby[/nom]1. If you spent countless hours in D1/D2 you're very well aware of the side-economy where it was possible to get anything you wanted for real money through ebay and whatnot. Especially D1 was a hackfest. 2. You haven't done your research on looting. When something drops its yours only, others can't see it. Essentially there's a round robin style built in so no, there won't be auto-grab bots and stuff. 3. PvP will be done in arenas. Not PKing in the open. So again, no one will grief you.[/citation]
1. Yes, D2 had that. However, it was not sactioned by Blizzard. The activity in D3 will be, which means Blizzard (namely Bobby Kotick) will have incentive to allow the activity to occur. So just because it happened in D2 doesn't mean nothing will change with Blizzard getting involved. And since D3 must be played online even for single player, and since Blizzard has a financial stake in the auction sales, legitimate players will have to battle against botters and farmers for drops. They may be in seperate instances of the game, but the server will not allow too many of any particular item to drop so that it's price won't fall to the point where Blizz makes no money off it's potential sale.

2. That may be true that they are going to a Guild Wars style assigned looting still doesn't take away from the fact from the point in number 1, that even players in single player games will be affected by botters who are in their own seperate instance of the game.

3. You obviously did not understand the point Nuclear was making. Even if Nuclear does not participate in the AH, since the AH is now legitimatized, many many more people will buy items on it, thus making the characters more powerful, not through gameplay, but based on the amount of money in their wallet they are willing to spend on items. So yes, his gameplay will be affected, even if in an indirect way.

G

As a South African to me the proof will be in the pudding and I hope I get my hands on a beta to see it first hand before buying. Saying our networks is unstable is an understatement. Locally we get anything from 50-100ms on good days, the base to europe is 250ms, my average WoW lag was 750ms and when the birds hit the fan I got 900ms to a local Killing floor server while someone from the USA got constant 400ms. So the biggest question is what happens when you hit your infrastructure point where latency is anything between 500ms and 60k ms ?

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I totally aggree with Hellwig. Two computers in the same game with 200ms will handle things differently and... this just doesnt add up...

But well let's see what Blizzard has to offer, they are proffessionals and will struggle to support their system. I guess if it doesnt work they will patch the game after half a year making it playable for everyone.

When i am in my country (Greece) i have 200-250ms in WOW, when im in UK for my studies, I have 15-20ms and i can tell you makes a huge difference in PvP especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.