did someone create a user on my PC?

SANTELL

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
I was going into Users for some reason and I noticed a user called CATA-CATA.pc panicked and deleted it immediately tho I did go into the folder briefly and saw it was only two folders, roaming and something else. I should have gone in and seen what it contained. So with this small amount of information does anyone think I was hacked from outside? there was one instance last year of my work taking over my home computer to fix something, but supposedly all traces of that are removed when they are finished. However long it has been in the computer, at least I haven't had anything important like bank accounts or anything else compromised that I know of. thanks for any help

Solution
maybe solved. I did a number of internet searches to see if anyone else had something related to CATA-CATA then I finally tried CATA-CATA.pc. Came up with CaTa CaTa - PC Troubleshooting so maybe I used something of his/theirs at some point. I think I noticed the user profile was installed in 2017 and like I said no apparent damage to my life on any level since. Also after I deleted the user the computer is running the same and it didn't come back when I rebooted. So hopefully this is a just a big false alarm, doesn't seem like any steps I can really take from here anyway. Thanks for the advice!

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Also just remember many programs also create user accounts to run under. Examples of this is Veeam and Quickbooks etc... It will create a local user account to run services under.

Check to see if any programs you recently installed may have done this.

You can also go to c:\user and look at the modified date on the user profile. Then use that date to help you troubleshoot. Was anything installed recently or on that date? Check control panel uninstall programs list.

USAFRet

Illustrious
CATA

Capital Area Transportation Authority (Lansing MI)
Crawford Area Transit Authority
Central Academy of Technology and Arts (Union County)
Community Access to the Arts (Great Barrington MA)

Do you work for any of those, or similar?

SANTELL

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
maybe solved. I did a number of internet searches to see if anyone else had something related to CATA-CATA then I finally tried CATA-CATA.pc. Came up with CaTa CaTa - PC Troubleshooting so maybe I used something of his/theirs at some point. I think I noticed the user profile was installed in 2017 and like I said no apparent damage to my life on any level since. Also after I deleted the user the computer is running the same and it didn't come back when I rebooted. So hopefully this is a just a big false alarm, doesn't seem like any steps I can really take from here anyway. Thanks for the advice!

Solution