Different charger to charge laptop.

Cooneyboii

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
2
0
4,510
0
Hi guys,
Just wondering can anything bad happen if i use a 20v, 3.25A charger for a 19V, 3.42A laptop.
The wattage turns out the same for both (65W). The Laptop is a Toshiba Portege R830 also the polarities are the same on the charger and the laptop.
Thanks,
Eoin
 

the nerd 389

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
21
0
10,590
6
No, I would not use that power brick. The voltage is different.

Basically, the voltage rating determines compatibility, and the amperage rating determines capacity. Running a higher voltage than normal will subject the laptop to conditions it's not equipped to handle. If you give a device more voltage than it is designed for, but still low enough to use, it will burn the excess as heat to bring the voltage down to something it can use internally. It will not get extra power from the additional voltage.

A higher current rating means that the supply is capable of delivering more current, but it doesn't mean that it WILL deliver more current. The laptop controls how much current it draws, and it will not draw more than it needs.

Just some examples:
19V, 3.5A : compatible
19V, 25A : compatible
19V, 3A : not compatible, insufficient current
20V, 3.25A : not compatible, potentially excessive voltage, insufficient current
20V, 3.5A : potentially compatible (75% chance), potentially a fire hazard (25% chance)
21V, 3.5A : potentially compatible (50% chance), potentially a fire hazard (50% chance)
22V, 3.5A : potentially compatible (25% chance), potentially a fire hazard (75% chance)
 

the nerd 389

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
21
0
10,590
6
No, I would not use that power brick. The voltage is different.

Basically, the voltage rating determines compatibility, and the amperage rating determines capacity. Running a higher voltage than normal will subject the laptop to conditions it's not equipped to handle. If you give a device more voltage than it is designed for, but still low enough to use, it will burn the excess as heat to bring the voltage down to something it can use internally. It will not get extra power from the additional voltage.

A higher current rating means that the supply is capable of delivering more current, but it doesn't mean that it WILL deliver more current. The laptop controls how much current it draws, and it will not draw more than it needs.

Just some examples:
19V, 3.5A : compatible
19V, 25A : compatible
19V, 3A : not compatible, insufficient current
20V, 3.25A : not compatible, potentially excessive voltage, insufficient current
20V, 3.5A : potentially compatible (75% chance), potentially a fire hazard (25% chance)
21V, 3.5A : potentially compatible (50% chance), potentially a fire hazard (50% chance)
22V, 3.5A : potentially compatible (25% chance), potentially a fire hazard (75% chance)
 

the nerd 389

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
21
0
10,590
6


Over-currenting isn't really a thing...

Any battery management system will limit the current that's drawn to the appropriate levels. That's a requirement for using lithium based batteries, as charging those takes two phases. One is constant voltage for the upper 40% of charging, and the other is constant current for the lower 60%.
 

Cooneyboii

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
2
0
4,510
0


It would be over-volting but under-currenting.
 

Phillip Corcoran

Splendid
Moderator
Still not advisable due to the over-volting issue alone, irrespective of the amps rating.

You came here for advice, you got consistent advice from three of us out of four replies - Don't use it.

(Unless you don't care what damage it might cause to the laptop)

 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 0
AG95 Laptop Tech Support 5
maybeits_jack Laptop Tech Support 2
X Laptop Tech Support 5
K Laptop Tech Support 3
P Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 2
lgdragon040 Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
V Laptop Tech Support 5
O Laptop Tech Support 3
K Laptop Tech Support 7
C Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 7
J Laptop Tech Support 1
Similar threads
Question Toshiba Laptop charger connects and disconnects
Question Why is my laptop not acknowledging being plugged in sometimes?
Question Recently bought helios 300 predator laptop gtx 1050 ti. Problem is it charges upto 100% and when i remove the charger it drops down to 99% instantly
Question Huawei Matebook 13 Only Switching on when Charging
Question Laptop doesn't recognize AC Charger after Windows update
Laptop Charger charges and discharges
Dell Inspiron 15-7559 Charger Port Damaged
Solved! What to do when your laptop does not charge and the charger is plugged in?and it does not show "not charging"
Solved! So. Out of no whhere my charger stopped charging my laptop so I ordered a new one but it only charges sometimes. Like it would
Can I charge my 36 volt mower batteries with a 16.5 volt laptop charger
Laptop wont charge past 50% and dies 30seconds after being of charger.
Solved! Dell Inspiron 15 7579 2-in-1 AC Adapter Type Not Recognized
Using a different charger to charge my laptop
Laptop charging stopped working, but charger is ok
My Dell laptop Not charging. The charger is good. I replaced a new battery but it's still saying plug in not charging. What
Hi. I plugged my asus laptop, the charger is working but the laptop ain't charging.
Charge a 12v battery with a laptop charger
Laptop won’t charge or turn on, I’ve replaced the battery & charger but nothing happens
Laptop stops charging randomly when using a new charger.(Lenovo y50-70)
My toshiba c600 laptop dosent turn on. When pulg my charger at that time charging bulb also dosent work but charger is workin

ASK THE COMMUNITY