Question Laptop Power Supply

Aug 16, 2022
I have a work laptop with a power supply (the power supply's back reads 65w / Output 19.5V=3.34 A / Input 100-240v~1.7A 50-60Hz, and it has the polarity with the positive first, and the negative on the right).

I don't normally use that power supply anyway - I use the laptop plugged into a docking station, which has its own power supply (the back of which reads 130w / Output 19.5=6.7A / Input 100-240V~2.5A 50-60Hz, with the polarity negative first, positive on the right).

I just bought a new laptop which, of course, came with its own power supply (the back of which reads 90.0W / Output 19.5V=4.62A/90W / Input 100-240 V~1.5A 50-60Hz, with the polarity negative first, positive on the right).

My question is - can I use my new laptop in the docking station I already have safely? The docking station's power supply and my laptop's power supply have the same polarity, but with a different wattage (docking station 130, laptop 90) and a different amperage (is that the right word?) (docking station 6.7, laptop 4.62).

Thanks for any help/suggestions - as is probably apparent, I don't know much about this stuff.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
My question is - can I use my new laptop in the docking station I already have safely? The docking station's power supply and my laptop's power supply have the same polarity, but with a different wattage (docking station 130, laptop 90) and a different amperage (is that the right word?) (docking station 6.7, laptop 4.62).

Thanks for any help/suggestions - as is probably apparent, I don't know much about this stuff.

If they're both the same manufacturer (aka HP, Dell, etc) and they have the same plug size, then yes.

If they are different, then no.