Question Laptop Power Supply

Aug 16, 2022
I have a work laptop with a power supply (the power supply's back reads 65w / Output 19.5V=3.34 A / Input 100-240v~1.7A 50-60Hz, and it has the polarity with the positive first, and the negative on the right).

I don't normally use that power supply anyway - I use the laptop plugged into a docking station, which has its own power supply (the back of which reads 130w / Output 19.5=6.7A / Input 100-240V~2.5A 50-60Hz, with the polarity negative first, positive on the right).

I just bought a new laptop which, of course, came with its own power supply (the back of which reads 90.0W / Output 19.5V=4.62A/90W / Input 100-240 V~1.5A 50-60Hz, with the polarity negative first, positive on the right).

My question is - can I use my new laptop in the docking station I already have safely? The docking station's power supply and my laptop's power supply have the same polarity, but with a different wattage (docking station 130, laptop 90) and a different amperage (is that the right word?) (docking station 6.7, laptop 4.62).

Thanks for any help/suggestions - as is probably apparent, I don't know much about this stuff.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
My question is - can I use my new laptop in the docking station I already have safely? The docking station's power supply and my laptop's power supply have the same polarity, but with a different wattage (docking station 130, laptop 90) and a different amperage (is that the right word?) (docking station 6.7, laptop 4.62).

Thanks for any help/suggestions - as is probably apparent, I don't know much about this stuff.

If they're both the same manufacturer (aka HP, Dell, etc) and they have the same plug size, then yes.

If they are different, then no.

TRENDING THREADS