Direct tv in second home

Pittmancher

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
I have a second home that I visit on the weekends. The home is newly built and is wired for cable. The cable wire hangs outside the house. I have a direct tv dish on a tripod. When I hook up the dish to my DVR directly, I get service. When I hook the dish up to the outside cable and hook up the dvr to the inside cableconnectors, I get nothing. What is wrong?

Solution
how many cable outlets have been wired in the house? If there is more than one, you have a splitter somewhere to connect them all to the "future" cable service. Look in the power / fuse panel for the home.
1. There is a break from outside cable to inside.

2. There is no break but the extra cable weakens the signal where you need to insert a booster. Or even simpler, the outside cable currently goes into a passive splitter, taking the passive splitter off may restore signal strength.

Pittmancher

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Is YOUR home, I wouldn't know, there are no specific locations (unlikely in the bathroom that's all I got).

Google for pictures of TV splitters and see what they look like and take a tour of your own house, again! Check attic?

Pittmancher

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
how many cable outlets have been wired in the house? If there is more than one, you have a splitter somewhere to connect them all to the "future" cable service. Look in the power / fuse panel for the home.

Solution