disfunctional space bar

vivosonic

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
I have an Asus Model 501A laptop that has a space bar that does not consistently respond when initiated on the right side of the bar. Heavy tapping is required for response. The left hand side of the responds properly. This results in a lot of back up and correct work. This problem has existed since I purchased it. Best Buy says there is nothing wrong since they have put it through software diagnostics and found nothing wrong. Others who have used the computer also get similar response. Seems like a mechanical problem that can either be adjusted or solved by a keyboard replacement. Best Buy refuses to send the unit to ASUS for diagnostics for repair .

Any thoughts? Larry

tambeshakunt

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Seems like a faulty keyboard. First try with a USB desktop keyboard to make sure it IS a hardware problem.

If it is an issue with the built in keyboard, you could take it to your local laptop repair shop and get the keyboard replaced. It will be cheaper if you give them the keyboard yourself . Otherwise you can try replacing it yourself.

Here is one available. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ASUS-X501-X501A-X501U-X501EI-X501XE-X501XI-Laptop-US-Keyboard-Black-/271717327048?pt=UK_Computing_Laptop_Keyboards&hash=item3f439d60c8

tambeshakunt

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Seems like a faulty keyboard. First try with a USB desktop keyboard to make sure it IS a hardware problem.

If it is an issue with the built in keyboard, you could take it to your local laptop repair shop and get the keyboard replaced. It will be cheaper if you give them the keyboard yourself . Otherwise you can try replacing it yourself.

Here is one available. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ASUS-X501-X501A-X501U-X501EI-X501XE-X501XI-Laptop-US-Keyboard-Black-/271717327048?pt=UK_Computing_Laptop_Keyboards&hash=item3f439d60c8

dkjohnson21

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
But a new one on ebay less than 20 bucks go to youtube type "replace keyboard for your model laptop" it easy to do. You could try carefully pulling the space bar off and see whats under it then snap back in place

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crowley91 Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 1
X Laptop Tech Support 7
A Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 4
4 Laptop Tech Support 1