display driver crashed and failed to recover

May 10, 2018
hello
yesterday suddenly my labtop crashed with blue screen says that “attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed
stop 0x00000116
and when i restart the windows logo come and the stop in black screen with curser blinking.
i restart again with F8 go in safe mode delete driver intel HD 3000 and fix the problem but when i install it again the driver the problem came back and i dont want to use basic vga graphic .
thank for your time

system info
HP envy 17.3 3d 8 gb ram i7 64bit

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from koroush.pub : "blue screen display driver problem"

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from koroush.pub : "display driver crash and failed to recover"

For the driver issue/error, try following the steps listed in this thread... http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2857639/attempt-reset-display-driver-recover-timeout-failed.html Doesn't matter what kind of GPU you have, the steps would be the same.

Should that not work, and your integrated graphics work fine, then you could be looking at the GPU going bad. However, before jumping to get it replaced, try doing a full restore of the computer (as mentioned in the linked instructions). Just be sure you back up any personal data first.

Now as to the black screen, that would be a different issue. I am including the instructions for that below, but you may not need/want to use them until after the other is resolved. Plus they may no longer be needed after resolving the above.

Try these...

Option 1 ...

1. First, while the computer is off, connect an external monitor.
2. Next turn on the computer and allow it to fully load.
3. Once loaded, press the "Windows Key" + "P" to open the "Easy Display Switcher".
4. In here select "Computer only".
5. Now shut down the computer and disconnect the external monitor.
5. Disconnect the external monitor
6. And finally restart the computer.

Option 2 ...

Make sure you wait until the computer would be fully loaded before trying this, and not try it right away like you would to say get into BIOS. This needs you to actually be where you would be when Windows Explorer loads.

1. Press "Shift" repeatedly until the "sticky keys" window shows up.

2. Now click the the link there that will lead to the "Ease of Access Center".

3. Next click "Cancel" on the the bottom right corner of the "Set Up Sticky Keys" window.

4. From here you want to click "Control Panel" on the upper left corner (it should be right beside the "Make Your Computer Easier to Use" title.

5. Locate the "Computer Settings" menu and then choose the "Recovery" icon (make sure that your view of this is by either large or small icons for easier access).

6. Now click and open "System Restore".

7. Here you want to click next on the bottom right corner (a few times) until the button "Finish" shows up and then click it. (Just follow everything prompt that the window says which will lead you to recovering your previous system, in a certain time.

8. The computer will now do the work it needs to and then reboot.

If that doesn't work, you can try the following...

You can also try doing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete and see if you can get "Task Manager" to show.

If the "Task Manager" windows shows, then choose "New Task" and then type in EXPLORER. If the desktop shows up then you need to go into "Start", "Programs", then "Accessories" and finally "Command Prompt". (Or you can do a search for CMD.)

Make sure you load the "Command Prompt" with Administrator access. Then when it loads type in....

SFC /SCANNOW

It will do a file check.

To learn more about "SFC" visit this link at Microsoft... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

May 10, 2018
i followed your steps :
first i deleted all graphic drivers (intel hd 3000 and radeon hd 6800) then i install just intel driver and restart laptop up with no problem.
second : in install radeon hd 6800m while installing driver black screen with blinking curser come.
i restart and automaticly labtop deleted two graphic driver after installing drivers again i restart but just black screen with blinking curser.
after i try your 2 options:
option 1: after windows logo windows screen come just for 1 second and thenblack screen with curser for both labtop and external go on.
option 2 : same az option 1
i try cmd option az well and it said no problem with files so im going to restore my labtop

i have question if my graphic chip has hardware problem can i replace it or not?
many thanks for your answer and your time

If the GPU is going bad, then it should be able to be replaced, however, depending on how your device is set up, it may require the motherboard be replaced to resolve it.

You said you tried options 1 and 2 above, they didn't, however, allow you to get past the black screen with the cursor?

May 10, 2018
no i tried two options az i said but dont past the black screen i rest factory my labtop after that i try install radeon hd graphic and every time in the middle of installing the driver black screen come i then i reset the last good comfig to run windows again
i guss my graphic driver is death i even try it with linux mint and linux dont come after i disable radeon mudule.

thanks for your info and your support