Display driver has stopped responding

McShane

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
hello there,

I am having an issue where my display driver has stopped responding and has recovered. Now I have read a lot of forums and been having this issue for months, even gave up and moved back to my old computer for a bit and came back, that was where I discovered the odd thing about this.

So to start off I have completely uninstalled my driver with DDU reinstalled the latest and also tried stable drivers for my system. I have tried reformatting and doing the same, none of this fixed the issue, the thing that does fix it (temporarily) is to let my battery run flat then leave it off for about 10 minutes then turn it back on. From there is will take a day to 3 days before it happens again, lately it hasn't been telling me the driver has crashed I just get either a black screen or frozen game with static audio.

I am really hoping to solve the issue without having to buy new parts as I would like to upgrade to a whole new system when I can, anyway current specs are as follows:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: Alienware 17
BIOS: A14
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32692MB RAM
Page File: 4203MB used, 33351MB available
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 780M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Any help or insight as to why only letting the battery go flat helps, would be greatly appreciated.

Although it does sound like your graphics card is headed out, have you tried the following to see if it will resolve the issue?

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Leave everything out/unplugged for about 5 minutes.
5. Now reinsert the battery, reconnect the charger cord and turn on the laptop.

It should reset the BIOS, which may help.

McShane

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
New to posting here so I don't know if this is where I am meant to reply but it seems less confusing than where the reply to button takes me, I have just tried this and so far it feels the same as letting the battery run flat then recharging, only quicker. I will get back to you if the problem remains, that or will just conclude that the hardware has had it. Just don't want to replace hardware in this if I am getting a whole new system at some point