Do all LCD/LED TV'S SHOW 60HZ SIGNAL FROM A PC?

1stgamingpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hi All,

Would appreciate some help please......I've been looking at 32" lcd/led tv's (1080p) to use as a monitor and wanted to get a 120hz TV as hoping less blur/sharper picture when streaming/gaming from my pc but didnt know if this was pointless, as most lcd Tv's are locked at 60hz when showing a signal from a pc using hdmi?

Please can someone confirm if this is true? As I will start looking at just 60hz tv's and save myself some money!

Many thanks for any help

Solution
Going from 42 to 32 would definitely give a better image (since quality is relative to distance). The 120hz tv set is not actually 120hz. It uses a technology called interpolation (correct me if am wrong), where the tv doubles the frames. That gives a somewhat smoother media experience but in a pc gaming environment shouldn't make any serious difference.

And yes, probably the hdmi port that the tv won't support true 120hz. So eventually you would be running it at 60hz. I would urge to take a look at a 27'' 1080p monitor instead of a tv. The only you would need to do is to bring a bit closer. At around 2 feet.

Out of curiosity, what is your budget (also your location)?

CBender

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
First of all you should check the available connections on the tv. Generally most of the tv provide 60Hz. that of course means nothing. The problem with tv sets is that they tend to have pretty high lag and frame skips. Although it is good enough for the Xbox and the PS4 so what is the matter. Both consoles are a lot of times locked at 30 frames or less. An ideal scenario for the tv. Also the distance makes a world of difference when it comes to image quality and responsiveness.

I wouldn't buy a cheap tv as a monitor unless i used as a static display or a secondary monitor. For a tv to produce good image/motion/gaming experience you would need a good expensive one.

Also 1080p for monitor distance at 32 inches has a ridiculous ppi. Really low quality. The perception of quality depends on the distance and size.

1stgamingpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Hi, many thanks for your reply.....I've been looking at a samsung 32" j6300 (120hz) tv and a sony 32" w706 (60hz) and sit about 3 feet from my screen....the sony is about £70 less and both have pc input (via hdmi) so was starting to think, that if a tv can only receive a signal of 60hz from a pc using hdmi....that the 120hz tv would not be able to give me any improvement in picture as it will also be locked at 60hz because of the signal sent via the hmdi pc input?.......sorry if sound thick...appreciate the help!

Just wanted to add that I've been using a 42" lg lcd 1080p as a desktop monitor but felt moving to the smaller 32" at 1080p would give me a sharper picture as the image isnt getting stretched as much?....

CBender

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
Going from 42 to 32 would definitely give a better image (since quality is relative to distance). The 120hz tv set is not actually 120hz. It uses a technology called interpolation (correct me if am wrong), where the tv doubles the frames. That gives a somewhat smoother media experience but in a pc gaming environment shouldn't make any serious difference.

And yes, probably the hdmi port that the tv won't support true 120hz. So eventually you would be running it at 60hz. I would urge to take a look at a 27'' 1080p monitor instead of a tv. The only you would need to do is to bring a bit closer. At around 2 feet.

Out of curiosity, what is your budget (also your location)?

Solution

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
There are a handful of TVs that are true 120hz panels, but they are few and farbetween, I don't remember off hand which ones they were, but that point is moot anyhow cause as far as I know all the TVs are capped at 60hz for input. I might be wrong on that I'm not up to date on new TVs. I play on a 49in 4k tvmonitor that I got a while ago, I sit a couple feet away, it's HDMI 2.0 so it can accept a 4k picture at 60Hz, and at 4k it looks great, games look great, but there is some lag between what you see and what is happening, but I'm not FPS/Twitch gaming anyhow, so for me it's not a big deal. But I got my TV cheap, relatively, you might want to think of like a 39in 4k display, if you've got hardware to run it at a decent clip, it would be mainly games that look good, but I hear soon we'll start to see more 4k content for movies and TV shows and such.

1stgamingpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Hi, thanks again for your replies, they are a big help........My budget is around £250-£300 (I'm in Hertforshire, UK)....I purchased a AOC 1080P 27" (it cost around £200) a while back but could see the squares/pixels at 2 ft away and have found I could play with the settings on my current lg 42" (42lw550t) so I couldnt see any pixels but sadly the picture is stretched and fed up of having to look up to read text at the top of the screen, because I'm so close.....I do alot of streaming and watching video so 32" would still give me a good size screen to sit back and watch films.....The Sony is only £240 and the samsung is £299 (j6300) so would be within my budget, which is why I was thinking one of them might be a good option.....but as mentioned I'm not an expert so needed alittle advice....

Thanks again for any help....

1stgamingpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Hi Joss.....thanks for your comments! My setup is solid but I think 1080p is the best it could do ...(i5 4670k and r9 280x) but seem to use a ps4 for gaming these days and only play the odd FPS at my pc....Would love a 4k tv but not sure my budget would stretch that far at present.....;) thanks again for your comments

CBender

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
I don't know what to tell you. Samsung has some decent tv and the best software. I would recommend taking a look at Panasonic sets too. They don't spend billions in advertising but their panels seem to be quite good. Beyond that at 450 pounds in amazon there is a Ben Q monitor at 2560:1440 and is really good value.

1stgamingpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

thanks CBender....appreciate you taking the time to reply.....

1stgamingpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Hi CBender, All...

sorry to ask another question....I have seen a HP ENVY 32 34-Inch Quad-HD IPS Gaming Media Monitor and a Samsung LS32D850T 32-Inch WQHD PLS LED Monitor....Both 32" screen 60hz and 1440p...I dont play any 1440p games as my r9 280x would struggle with anything over 1080p but these are the same price as the 1080p lcd's I have been looking at...Would these monitors be able to play a signal at 720p/1080p (game/streaming movies etc)without any issues with upscaling or making image blurry? Just thinking it might be worth getting a monitor that could play 1080p now but also future proof me when I get a graphics card that can play 1440p in a couple of years time....or do you think it would be better getting a monitor/lcd that just plays 1080p?

Would appreciate any help and views on the monitors I've mentioned...

Many thanks again