Do i need amp/soundcard?, and should i get the M50x headset or DT990 Pro?

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Hello guys,
I'm going to build a pc and i need good audio with that.
I'm thinking about getting the
Audio Technica ATH-M50x
Or the
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm.
So what headset should i get?

And i also need help with getting a amp or soundcard if i need one, my mobo is going to be the
MAXIMUS VII HERO
So will i need a amp or soundcard
and will the audio be better if i use one?

Solution
The Aune T1 MK2 have an Edge over Bravo of course, and if you are interested of how your PC system sound with or without external DAC then the Aune T1 MK2 is the one that have that option. But if you just want to make sure your DT990 is handled right then Bravo V2 is capable of that.

If you get the Bravo V2 is then you'll probably want to add computer fan to help it cool a bit because class A tube gets really hot, it's good for winter though :) I would probably do the same anyway if it's me; and if you're thinking on adding an external DAC later then you could try a cheap DAC like those bellow first.

http://www.amazon.com/Orei-DA21-Optical-Converter-Headphone/dp/B008EPW7TA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1422635836&sr=8-12&keywords=DAC...

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
What soundcard do you think i should get?
I just saw this;
Creative Sound Blaster Zx
It comes with a card and a ACM but the ACM makes the audio worse as of many reviews said that the audio is better just plugging it in the card itsel BUT they also say the mic improves with the ACM so it maybe makes the at2020 i'm about to buy sound better?

My build is this;
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.99 @ Directron)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($207.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($133.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.65 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($609.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan ($19.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $1766.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-24 12:38 EST-0500

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You just need to remember that audio for gaming is totally the opposite of audio spectrum to listening to music. So what is your priority?

If game is your priority then get a Soundcard like the Soundblaster or Asus Xonar. Otherwise, save your cash and get something better for that headphone your list, like Aune T1 MK2 DAC+Amp or Aune Audio - X1 Pro.

Check the link below and that'll give you a bit more info about what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
For the m50x, no. For the DT 990 Pro 250 ohm you might need an amp since they require more juice to drive than the m50s. The onboard dac built in your motherboard should be fine.

Do you need open or closed back headphones?

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
I'm thinking about going with the dt990 pro because i like them very much.
I'm building a gaming pc so i'm going to be gaming most of the time, i'm only going to listen to mucis a littlebit like while playing a game or at random times, so should i get a amp or soundcard if i get a soundcard ill maybe go with the;
Creative Sound Blaster Z
And maybe if i go with a amp i would maybe go with the ;
Fio E11k/E10 or something else you guys recommend

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

As RazerZ said onboard sound is ok but it's inadequate performance of what the DT990 cando, Asus Xonar probably a better option than Soundblaster but that's up to you on what's your preference. I heard few people who does a lot of gaming and they bought into the idea of having 5.1 - 7.1 sound on headpone/headset until they started to explore of better sound quality, and could have sworn if they only knew from the start. But as most, it's a expensive lesson to learn and I'm one those who learned it the hard way. I game occasionally but my main use for my system is listening to music. One thing I found out is get a sound-card that has the best driver, or a complete hardware system.

I gather you didn't check the link provided from previous post.

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Yeah,
Ok so your saying i should get a asus xonar over a sound blaster because better audio.
What exact Asus Xonar do you think i should get?

The people you were talking about did you mean that they were shocked when switching from onboard mobo audio to a soundcard or something else?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
To hear a significant difference in audio quality you must have subpar or worse onboard audio before switching to a DAC or better sound card (I've had experience with this). I would think the Supreme FX (Asus's marketing for a realtek 1150) audio should work fine for both headphones.

I'd first buy the headphones and use them as is. If you can't bring them to the noise levels you favor, then you should start to look into an amp. With these headphones I would invest in a cmoy amp. They're easy to make (google it) or you can buy them cheap off ebay/amazon. You will have a better quality amp than a Fiio for cheap.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Actually, they started with amp then DAC after.

Like Razerz, I would not buy soundcard for now. The onboard have enough power to medium level maybe. If your hear your headphone sounds distorted then that's when you run out of power.

I would not try to stir you away for what you're doing as it is an experience for you. I use to be in the same boat of gaming rig 20 years ago, I upgrade my system ever so often until I probably spend more with my games and rig than I spend purchasing my sports car. In the end, a 10 year old upgraded system doesn't look the same as when it was first built. Until I stayed with a console as my gaming system. If I have known earlier then I would have afford the Von Schweikert VR4 i always wanted.

Sound preference varies from person to person, we can only direct you to what you want to know. As you can see, we all have our own opinion base on our own experience. And like RazerZ, stay with onboard for now and check how your DT990 Pro can do from there. Hope that'll help.

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
So i'm going to try without amp/soundcard
and try if it does good if it isnt good i should invest in a cmoy amp over a soundcard right?

So with a cmoy amp i would get better audio then a soundcard?

And with a cmoy amp you mean something like this ;
http://m.ebay.com/itm/131412428631?nav=SEARCH

Or this;
http://m.ebay.com/itm/251599560368?nav=SEARCH

Or this;

http://m.ebay.com/itm/251161778255?nav=SEARCH

So this is better then a soundcard ?
Ok so if these are the right amp's you were talking about which one should i take from the 3?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Does cmoy amp is better than a soundcard? - Not necessarily.

What is better audio to you, louder or cleaner sound? because they're two different thing. The amp is dependent of what your quality your source be.

Here is a brief explanation about how DAC and Amplifier comes into play. Remember - onboard DAC does convert the digital signal to audio signal inside your computer where it's the noisiest place due to other process being done. While external DAC isolate the conversion of your audio signal where is less noisy. So the process of external DAC is cleaner than the onboard DAC. Then you amplified where your headphone can deliver all the sound your DAC has process.

There's a reason why I would recommend the Aune T1 MK2 DAC+Amp, because you can change the tube and find the sound quality to your liking. So read more about it and don't just take my words from it and you'll be surprise what other users think about it too.

One thing I can say about all this is if you started a system that you think it's the great, an absolute best. Stop there and don't try to compare it anymore, because if you do, you will open pandoras box. And if you are curious about it though then read it first and educate yourself from the net what's DAC and amplifiers can do, and why other units are differently priced.

So before you start to wonder off about sound quality, bring your favorite tune and ask the sales person if you can listen to it on the products they have. Bring someone with you to compare what you hearing and what they're hearing. You will notice that both of you may actually NOT hearing the same from the same system. And that you're the only person who will think that it's sound excellent. If someone happened to hear the same thing you hear then it's wonderful. Remember, it's all what you want to hear not what we want to hear.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Onboard audio has come a long way which is why I recommend to hold off on the DAC until you buy the amp. When I had my ATH m50s they sounded horrible on the cheap Realtek ALC887-VD built into my motherboard. I went over to a friend's house on first tried it with his motherboard ( used Realtek ALC 892) and then his Audio Engine D1 and we both couldn't tell a difference between them. Again this is subjective to your own listening experience, but I just wanted to point out that the onboard DAC isn't bad at all.

However the onboard amp isn't quite up to par and had a hard time driving my 56 ohm Panasonics to a suitable listening level, at least for me.

Keep in mind an AMP and a DAC are two completely different equipment with different purposes as rexter mentioned. The ones you posted all look good to me. Just make sure you're buying from a trusted seller. Personally I'm a CMOY fan because you can get them dirt cheap and can compare to much more expensive "brand name" amps.

http://www.amazon.com/Audiophile-headphone-amplifier-quality-parts-Altoids/dp/B00GPV7AH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422317312&sr=8-1&keywords=cmoy+amp

Is what I would go with. AMPs are really subjective to personal preference like all audio equipment, but this unit should drive the DT 990 PRO 250ohm without a problem.

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
So i'm thinking about going with the cmoy amp,
But i'm wondering is the amazon product you gave me same as this ebay product;

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131412428631?nav=SEARCH

Or does the two have different parts / components or are they just the same with different descriptions and stuff?

So is the amazon and ebay cmoy amps the same or do they have different components/parts that dosen't make them the same?

I'm asking because amazon dosen't have internationall shipping on the cmoy amps,
so i got to get it on ebay where they ship it here to sweden or just look around and try to find it online somewhere.

And what cables do i need to get with the cmoy amp and how does it look hooked up,
so like where does the cables go.

jeezygy

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Actually i found the same item and seller i got linked to on amazon on ebay,
it's the same name and stuff just different numbers in the name and stuff,
It has got the same titel and pictures,
he just have added more information about himself and how he made the item because it's ebay,
The profile with the different boxed amps;

http://ebay.com/sch/123stevovee/m.html?isRefine=true

And one i'm maybe getting;

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321651554082?nav=SEARCH

so what do you think?

And when i buy it i'm going to ask him if he's the same on amazon and if it's the same item like that on amazon.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
He's the same person. The product having the same pictures and very similar description or the seller's name going by " 123stevovee" and " stevovee85" isn't a coincidence. They both use the same OP Amp, the brown burr 2134, and the rest of the parts are the exact same.

The $50 cmoy amp from ebay you mentioned earlier -> :http://www.ebay.com/itm/131412428631

Looks decent and seems to have options where you can customize it to suit your liking ( different OP amps, case, LED color, etc. )

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

CMOY_Headphone_Amp-_4-500x315.jpg

Note: this cmoy version uses a battery for portable use.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I have nothing against the cmoy amp but I have doubt of 9 volt battery to support 250 Ohms headphones. So for that price, I would go for Bravo V2 amp.

I was going to say the PA2V2 but Im not sure if that would support the DT990 Pro.