Do I need dedicated graphics for my Macbook Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam_61

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
I'm a web designer and I'm in the market for a refurb 2015 15" Retina Macbook Pro.

I mainly need it for the following:

• ■ UI design in Sketch
    ■ Photo retouching in Photoshop
    ■ Screencasts for my YouTube channel ( which the integrated graphics model is good enough for)

But I'm also planning on taking on some video projects this year (most likely 1080p, but maybe some 4k work), and I hear dedicated graphics might speed up my photoshop/sketch work as well

The drawback is that a MBPr with dedicated graphics paying around $500 more. So, it worth buying it or just going with the integrated graphics(Intel Iris Pro)?

Solution
Given that a mbp (and mac's in general) live a lot longer than their PC counterparts, i'd definitely spend the extra. In 2-3 years the extra power will be the difference between looking for a new one, or keeping it going for another 2-3 years.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
How much is your time worth?
If you work long hours, that $500 will cost you less than 20c/hour over 1 year.
I find nothing kills my creativity faster than a system that crashes or is slow.

Extra GFX (and CPU) power will definitely speed things up.

If you are doing anything with 4k, prepare for a hell of a long time to render anything.

Unless portability is essential, I'd consider a desktop.
I've had a 27" since 2009, and upgraded to a 5K when they came out. Even fully spec'd it struggles to render 4k, but the screen is amazing and the size allows me to run 2 windows side by side, something I'd consider essential today.
On Dreamweaver you run code on one side, preview on the other etc.

Adam_61

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016

I may doe 2 4k projects this year, and already have a desktop (mac mini with SSD and 1gb dedicated video). With that in mind, will it be worth it?

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Given that a mbp (and mac's in general) live a lot longer than their PC counterparts, i'd definitely spend the extra. In 2-3 years the extra power will be the difference between looking for a new one, or keeping it going for another 2-3 years.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.