Do I need to replace the thermal paste on my laptop? (Dell Latitude E6420)

Subtly

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
I bought a refurbished Dell Latitude about a month ago. Everything was going good until last week the laptop started getting much hotter than usual. Nothing overheating or anything, but it's been reaching 65 degrees from simple internet browsing

there's no dust (used an air compressor regardless) and I have barely downloaded anything. I did notice one thing however, when I removed the fan and heatsinkhttp://

IMG_0076.jpg

do you think I need to reapply some thermal paste? Could that be the problem? Or did I just have bad luck in my refurbished choice?

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

Do NOT listen this incorrent information.

The Thermal paste Dell uses is definitely junk, and yes, it should be replaced, especially because you removed the heatsink. But the coverage is correct - it should only be spread on that small portion that actually comes in contact with the heatsink.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The thermal paste needs to be replaced. The stuff on there is silicone thermal grease. About the worst you can buy, but slightly better than tooth paste.

Since you have an exposed die, no heat spreader, the only part that comes in contact with the heatsink is the little rectangle in the middle.
Clean the processor and heatsink with some isopropyl alcohol and apply about a half of a large grain of rice worth of thermal compound to the center of the small rectangle. Set the heatsink down as flat as possible and tighten each screw a couple turns in a x pattern. Repeat in an x pattern until it is completely down. If you tighten one side all of the way down first you may crack the die edge killing the processor.