Do most Windows laptops using USB-C to connect to external display?

modeonoff

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I have not used Windows laptop for 20 years. Do most Windows laptops these days use USB-C to connect to external display?

I am planning to buy this adapter for my MacBook Pro but I want to know if it can also be used for Windows laptops to connect to external TV or monitor in case I jump ship to Windows laptop few months later. If so, I probably buy from Lenovo or HP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS5YFWR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Solution
You'll have to check for support for USB-C alt-modes on a laptop-by-laptop basis. Since supporting alt-modes requires extra circuitry to re-route signals from the (I)GPU to the USB-C pins, some support it, others don't to cut costs as it isn't a required part of the USB-C spec. Much of the time, laptops with DP-over-USB-C won't have built-in display outputs since those signals are being routed to the USB-C IO multiplexer chip.

Same goes for phones and tablets with USB-C ports.

InvalidError

Distinguished
You'll have to check for support for USB-C alt-modes on a laptop-by-laptop basis. Since supporting alt-modes requires extra circuitry to re-route signals from the (I)GPU to the USB-C pins, some support it, others don't to cut costs as it isn't a required part of the USB-C spec. Much of the time, laptops with DP-over-USB-C won't have built-in display outputs since those signals are being routed to the USB-C IO multiplexer chip.

Same goes for phones and tablets with USB-C ports.

Solution