Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Malwarebytes doesn't scan for viruses, so there is a hole in your security measures. Try scanning with a second A/V tool, as MSE has a piss poor reputation for real-world virus protection. If you're getting notifications from MSE, then I'm willing to bet another AV program will find a couple that MSE has missed. I could be wrong, but you're not getting a second opinion on viruses, only malware.

Agreed.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
a hole ?? well as I said so far so good 3 copys of vista 2 of 7 and used it from when it first came out and never looked back. I'm on the web a lot looking things up but I am also wary of what sites I click on and I don't down load crap just to be down loading stuff from any old body like I said until I see it fail me I cant knock it not to say I may fire up tomorrow and things start wigging out on me but that's yet to happen

it all personal preference on what you feel is best for you and user experience with it ..

G

I thought it was just me experiencing that, always happens over at TomsHardware.

Come to think of it, I wonder if it's also the reason behind YouTube windows lagging up for the last month or so.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Yup, it is legit. A brand new unopened box with install DVD and activation code. Also, from a seller that I have purchased items from in the past.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's industry-leading scanner detects and removes malware like worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, spyware, and more.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

I don't trust company websites very easily. If there is a review/study done with Malwarebytes that proves they are effective with more than just malware-based infections, I'll take a look; otherwise, I'm highly sceptical.

Yes, but pairing it with MSE (one of the lower scorers in AV software) leaves a pretty decent hole in things. Hey, I'm just a really sceptical person.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Best free antivirus for Windows PC, laptop or tablet: secure your PC for free
The best free security software for Windows PC

By Matt Egan | PC Advisor | 10 April 14

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/security/3456902/best-free-antivirus-for-pc-or-laptop/

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
It seems all the recommendations for Avast ignore the very big downfalls of its false alarms... I do not like that. If they took them into account, and made a mention of them (especially in publications), I'd be okay; but it seems that there's minimal attention to false alarms. That bothers me a lot.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Bitdefender also tests very well, with only 3 minor false alarms from AV-C. Avast, on the other hand, has some issues; and it seems all those positive reviews aren't thorough enough.

ZLima12

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

I use AVG 2015 Antivirus Free Edition and it works great for me. I am a smart downloader and know how to clean up viruses myself, but this still comes in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.