Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014

My guru in new mexico recommended it. and I trust his judgement. I supplement it with SpyBot Search and Destroy free program,as it is better than Norton for removing Trojans.

spock152

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

spock152

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
There are a ton of free anti virus programs out there- Advanced System Care , Avast free Anti Virus , Zone Alarm , Norton used to have a free one that was a great AV tool , but it was and still is a MEMORY HOG . If you do not do a lot or any gaming and just want to protect your comp from Viruses , I would recommend Avast Free ,works Great , but it is going to make pages load slower as it checks out every detail on the page(s) But is a great anti virus tool !

G

aaaaand this is why I've always said Curry's/PCWorld are one of those companies that deserve to go bust.

I would hate to guess how many old people they've fleeced at the point of purchase with Office and Antivirus suites.

In short, the people that work there are pretty stupid. Not all, but a large majority - Either that or it's involuntary and they were just trying to nab a sale. You don't need to pay for an Anti-virus, free ones are great if you're a smart browser and as for the whole "Free protection is malware thing", only the ones picked up as viruses and pretending to be.
They're usually quite obvious.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Similar to BestBuy/GeekSquad in the US. Bad, bordering on dangerous, advice.

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014

yes there are but they vary in what type of protection they provide. Plus most of them expect you to buy the full version after a trial period of using the free verson.
I have used AVG's free antivirus program , and i know most fo the computer shops i surveyed here where i live install the free version of AVG on new computer builds.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
The reason many companies expect you to buy their software after a trial period is because they are not distributing free software. They are distributing TRIAL software. There is a huge difference between the two that seems to go ignored quite often, and it's getting old to see free software often grouped in the same category as trial software (especially since I use a lot of opensource/free software without any problems).

While you might get minimal protection from certain free software, it usually is in an area that the software wasn't marketed to. For example, Bitdefender's free AV software is not designed to be an anti-malware software, or a firewall; but that doesn't take away from the free software's quality. Comodo has the best free firewall, but their free AV is lacking; that doesn't mean their free firewall is less of a quality product. The same can be said with a few other free services, but it seems that people require too much from a single piece of free software. I'm asking a lot from most of my free software, and I get it; but I'm also being realistic with what I'm asking.

Can you find a single piece of free software that will keep your computer secure on a live 24/7 basis? Absolutely not. Will you get better results in overall protection from one software to the next? Yes, but that doesn't mean you should use that single piece of software.

HyNrgy

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
Well, this is my setup, maybe overkill but works for me and do not see any system drain (though i have a laptop with i7, etc)

Bitdifender total security (prefer detection rating and scores) always on in background
Malewarebytes run about once every two weeks to a month
Advance system care (due to adding known 100% bad sites to not allowed on computer...i use for other things but that is what is related to here)

Browswer I run
Ghostery
Adblocker
Https everywhere
Bitdefender trafic light

I have used avast and avg and both ran really well but then i would have to use a seperate firewall prg (used either Comodo or Online Armour)....all these antivirus and firewall have free versions that work fine and I may go back to that...not sure yet.

The best protection is BACKUPS. I use macrium reflect free and backup every two weeks (just my preference) and keep the past 4 incase I something happens because no program paid or free is 100% solid on all fronts....if there was one there would be only one answer here.. :)

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Definitely overkill, but do whatever makes you think is necessary. If I run either Iron or Aviator, the only security add-ons I have personally added are AdGuard, No History, and IBA Opt-Out. Aviator does come with built-in Disconnect searches, which offers extra privacy of your searches, though no other security measures. I have cookies set to clear after every time I close the browser, and I also have Java disabled and completely removed from my computer. Unless you really need to run Java, get rid of it... it's just a vulnerability.

HTTPS will only provide some protection, as there are legitimate companies that are hired to provide HTTPS interception. Seriously, there are companies who provide man-in-the-middle (MITM) 'attacks' for HTTPS browsing, and sell the activities to whoever asks for it. It's a nice idea to prevent small time hackers; just know that it's still a vulnerability, regardless of common belief. HTTPS is fairly easy to spoof on your own, too (if you care to do it)... so just putting that out there.

Backing up information is only going to be as clean as the computer you plug it into. If you plug in your backups while infected, you risk re-infecting your PC every time you plug it back in. Scan your backup data as often as your computer. If it's in the cloud, then you're kind of SOL with that idea. Be sure to scan everything, and then encrypt it when you upload it to the cloud server. That will ensure it will be identical to when you uploaded it, and it's also safe from prying eyes at the same time. Also, there is always the risk of your cloud host being infected (rare, but a possibility), so never think your cloud backups are completely safe.

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
I do not understand why you are bashing people who answered your survey. I gave my answer, I shouldn't have to explain why I answered as I did.
Different strokes for different folks is my answer to you.

G

This is a discussion, not a survey.
People come in and state what they use, others (Not forum staff, I might add) offer conflicting advice based on either their experience or third-party statistics.

It's just advice. I don't think anyone's asking you to put on a tu tu and do the gangnam style dance on the top of a toilet seat. But for the record, if you did - That would be hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.