Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David54915

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014

David54915

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014
I've been using Avast for years , and it's found trojans and such, I also use malwearbytes and it works very well for me. and it's free

War_Mechine

Estimable
Sep 10, 2014

in my openion if you have windows 7 or 8 then don't use any antivirus it already has it build in you don't need it well i never needed it but if using XP then you will need the upgrade or download another one.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

I test AV software on older hardware, and Bitdefender does NOT use a lot of resources. Even with 24/7 file sharing, and streaming 1080p videos on a slow connection, with a low-end GPU, I've not notice it get in the way of anything performance-wise. I also don't game, so that could be one thing that people might notice a problem with; however, I've not had any AV wares cause a significant problem with gaming performance in the past (and I've used some heavy software too).

As far as Windows Defender... Microsoft does very little to protect your computer, so it's a trade off. I would rather run with zero-protection than with WD in the background. I just don't trust Microsoft, as their reputation is ruined; and they do not seem to value security in any way. In fact, there was a European Parliament hearing where Christian Engström (member of Paliament for Sweden until July, 2014) and Nils Torvalds (father of Linus Torvalds, and a member of Parliament for Finland) were asking questions to a representative of Microsoft. When asked if the NSA had talked to Microsoft about installing a back door into Windows, the rep attempted to make it a point to dispel any 'myths' that might have been out there about Microsoft having back doors in their software. The way the ordeal occurred, it seemed like the rep's job was to end all speculation by insisting Microsoft was not doing deals with the NSA, or that there were any "back doors." While I already am sceptical of them, the way it was handled seemed like a guilty child trying to hide something. Obviously, this isn't "proof" of anything; however, it is showing that the company has been under heavy scrutiny by many; and they haven't earned too much trust. When a company has many speculated bugs by software engineers (based on previously found bugs), operates with closed-source software, and has a poor reputation with the programming/hacking industry in general... it's probably not very wise to trust your computer security with Microsoft.

Also, we have posted the same link, numerous times in this thread, to an independent research group: AV-Comparatives. If you looked at some of their charts, they compare WSE to current AV wares on the market. According to their testing, MSE catches about 85% of infections in real-world testing. MSE also scores a 7.3/20 on performance impact (higher scores mean more resource demanding), whereas Bitdefender and Kaspersky both scored a tiny 1.2/20, and Avast even came in at 6.2/20. Still think MSE takes up more resources than Bitdefender? This is from independent testing done by a non-profit group, and the results are documented. Do you have any conflicting evidence? If so, please share it.

Huang Ray- I've said it countless times... if you're only using AV software as protection, and you take no other security measures, there is nothing that will be "enough" for your protection. It is "enough" for a substantial AV software? Yes, and I've provided a very long post explaining why on the previous page.

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Time to get Ubuntu/LXDE with ClamTK!

spock152

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

bernie-n

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014

I don't use any protection because I don't know what is malware and what is'nt. I was told if you want to protect your computer you have to pay for it and so called free protection is malware, by PC World. I'm unemployed and can't afford to pay. Apart from Microsoft Security Essentials which I keep meaning to download, I don't trust any program. bernien

tuffdeal

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

tuffdeal

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I totally agree. We have a two person business that requires protection. Over the years we've literally tried all of the cheap and or free antivirus solutions and we got what we paid for. Pathetic.A few years ago I got wise and began with Malwarebytes and last year after many years with ESET we moved back to Nortons which has a current footprint that is tiny compared to past years and which does not slow our systems. If you use a cheap or free antivirus program you are kidding yourself. Your better off using only the Malwareb ytes free program which is good but not best. What's worse is that if you use the clouds extensively as we do and regularly backup your system you are an idiot without strong antiviral & antimalware protection because you're just stockpiling problems.

ROCKSTARhjk

Estimable
Jun 16, 2014
I think microsoft security essentials is great, u must make a few adjustments to it if u want it to run smoothly, and to be honest with u guys, i had some spare pc parts out of which i can setup a pc and i have been doing this for a while that i search for virus on the internet and download it to see if mse will detect it and as soon as the virus or trojan or some malware is downloaded, it automatically detects and deletes it and notifies me , so i would say use mse 10/10 , it is less hasel and less drama pure entertainment and sorry if my english is a bit bad , not a native ENGLISH SPEAKER

allyg

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
I use zone alarm security, and malwarebytes for protection. I highly recommend malwarebytes as it blocks and detects malware that the antiviruses don't, so it must be used in combination with antivirus.

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
I use a paid antivirus program on 5 of my computers, and a free program from Microsoft on the 6th one.
when I am asked to installa computer for friends,etc. I use Microsoft's free program, and advise the user to upgrade toa paid one if they plan to goon the Internet.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Here's one of the several links already posted in this thread.

http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/25-internet-security-suites-are-put-to-the-test-using-windows-81/

Click on the yellow list on the left. If you read the thread, there are links too. Microsoft security is part of windows and hackers and malware creators make their apps especially for windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.