Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

I used Kaspersky for a few years and thought it was decent. Never tried the free version. If you keep an eye on newegg, it goes for free with a mail-in rebate every now and then. I didn't have trouble with piggy-back programs installing behind other free-ware back then - prolly because it seems to be a fairly new trend (looking at you Conduit!)...

Rapajez

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
For those of you having issues with the annoying pop-ups in Avast!, you can dig into the settings, and configure only critical pop-ups to display. You can set the rest to "disabled" or "0 seconds", I forget which. Most of the other annoying "you're getting this software for free" stuff can be disabled in the options as well.

I don't remember all of the details, but the most I get now is the occasional upgrade offer after a software update, which to me, is worth the savings.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Not only free occasionally, I look for the $10 or $15 deals too. Especially when I am getting close to the end of my subscription.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
I currently don't have the money to spend upfront, so that won't help me lol. I also don't like the rebate cards that most companies are sending out. I tend to avoid rebates for that reason. The prepaid cards are the biggest hassle in the world, especially since I'm a cash only person. Not to mention, I don't want the company knowing I have their product beyond a simple download, or purchase history... if that lol. I'm a paranoid person for many reasons haha.

CRITICALThinker

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Personally I use Avast, and have used MSE at one point. When I first got Avast free in 2009 It was absolutely incredible, worked well, and it actually had some useful features (sandbox allowed me to play a one hour demo for over three hours by not saving progress when I exited) but sadly there have been a couple features removed from the free version, and some that were added didn't make it to the free version.

G

Moved back to Avast last night. Can't make up my mind here.

Pretty certain I've got everything set to the point it doesn't bug the hell out of me. Shame that required using the custom install button and unticking a handful of the useless features. (That'll be, virtually all of the 'Tools' section).

Still, it works, so I've got that going for me... Which is nice.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Just in case no one has really explored the AV-Comparatives website, here's a page that will allow you to browse all of their test results without downloading all the individual reports/PDF files- http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

Looks like that is a pretty handy way to see where your AV software stands, compared to the rest of the crowd. I definitely recommend reading everything (though most people probably won't bother to do that), but it will definitely help you make a good decision with standalone AV software.

Huang Ray

Estimable
May 3, 2014
I will just use free avast with malwarebytes (the free one).
Also, I use AdBlock!

I do not feel like spending money on AntiVirus.
So, I just use 2 free one with adblock xD

SGM26

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
Windows Defender, MBAM and AdBlock (Chrome) are enough for me. Never had any issues with viruses or anything of the like (the closest I've been is when it gets caught and flagged up before it does anything malicious).

It could just be that I don't click on or go to suspicious websites or emails, etc, but it's been years since I had a virus and I run scans every week.

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Ditto, except Malwarebytes free also and a little copy of CCleaner it's all you need...Oh almost forgot ad-block+ free a definite must have
(º¿º)

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

I saw that advertised for Malwarebytes not too long ago and thought about getting it. Guess I missed my chance.

nick779

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Ive been using Webroot for several years now. It consistently has high detection rates and is able to fix most issues. I used to use Avira free though.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Webroot appears to have a nice detection rate, but I'm starting to wonder what the real-world ceiling of detection rates for AV software should be. I'm starting to think that most people are relying too much on their security software, and aren't always taking the right precautions outside of running an AV/AM software. It's more of a question based on a hunch, but still somewhat valid. I don't think a 100% detection rate should be necessary, since your AV software is really supposed to be your last line of defence. If an infection gets all the way to a virus scan/etc., then I would expect there to be a weak link somewhere before the AV software.

Status
Not open for further replies.