Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Hunter

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and back it up with Malwarebytes. But, I clicked on a link I should have known better than to have, and instantly I got over-run with Trojans, rootkits, browser hijackers, etc, etc. While my lines of defense got the vast majority of it, I wasn't able to completely destroy the culprits until I used a combination of Adware Cleaner v3.310, Junkware Removal Tool, Malwarebytes, and Hitman Pro_X64. So, now I'm back to my regular line of defense, but, I know where to get the others whenever I need them.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

OK cool! Yup, let me know. I think I'll get it this time. I run the free one occasionally.

M0B33R

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I use Norton 360 P.E.for my main PC security and for Malware, Trojans, and Hijackers I use a combo of Malwarebytes Antimalware , IObit Malware Fighter, and Spywareblaster. The last three are all free.

Sep 10, 2013
I use paid bitdefender, (3PC's). It seems to do the job very well, little performance impact, nice interface and nice features.
I have linked several to a bitdefender account, including my grandmothers laptop, so i can keep an eye on it remotely.
The search result link scanner shows a green tick or red cross next to search results, works well and is a nice feature. (I turn it off myself since i find it a little cluttering TBH, but for my grandmother it is ideal)

For a quick PC cleanup (i work in IT) of home PC's infected with adware and crapware i use malwarebytes and it does a very good job generally.
For more malicious infections (hidden infections/ infections that interfere with the system) i like to use VIPRE Rescue, easy to use and does an admirable job.

Combofix is the last resort before a clean install if nothing else works.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Many times I have fixed comps that were over loaded with malware and almost dead by installing Kaspersky Internet Security, updating it, maxing out it's search & destroy options and then running a full scan. You can always download a free one month free trial of the software that has all the options & features fully functional.

Rapajez

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
Also, you can look into AV tools that install to a USB Thumb Drive, which should let you run from the drive without needing to install anything (which could be blocked by a very badly infected PC). Check out PortableApps.com

There's also boot-able AV ISO's (Like Hiren's BootCD) which you can run from a USB, before the infected OS has a chance to even start up.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

The only reason I wouldn't recommend using a flash drive for portable AV tools is because the onboard microcontroller for the flash memory can be exploited somewhat easily. If you have a high calibre infection, and it manages to infect the microcontroller, you will not be able to wipe the infection without knowing how to re-flash the microcontroller. I would only recommend burning to a CD/DVD. It's paranoid, but it's actually a vulnerability that was found and covered at 30C3, and has been used by the NSA over the years. I don't think anyone knows how to check for these infections, or if anyone has made a harmful bug out of this; but I don't think anyone should take a chance with something that is a known vulnerability and has not been properly addressed. Use your USB flash memory wisely!

Kind of makes using flash memory a bit of a scary idea now, doesn't it? :D

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Sorry, I modified my post, thanks.

I've also stopped caring about clicking on strange links, which is a habit I should probably stop doing. But yeah, looking at my logs I get around 1-4 virus protections per month, all of them classed as high risk. The last one was last month it wasn't even a remotely shady website, it blocked the virus and I got out of there.

It's just so useful and gives me huge ease of mind to have antivirus software.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

All good, mate. Glad to hear the security software does its job for you. I keep running different software on my personal computer, wondering if I have something that some random security software will find that everything else has missed... still squeaky clean with known threats. Ran Hitman Pro today, and nothing malicious was found. That's on top of Bitdefender, Comodo, and a couple others I've ran over the past couple years (can't remember, but I've not reformatted since). I've only been running an AV software about half the time I've had this Win7 install running. I guess I'm just that good with my browsing habits, to the point I don't need the software? Haha. I'm sure there's some crap on my computer that's flying under the radar; there has to be. I do a lot of browsing on sites most people would avoid without security software, and no genuine threats yet. Strange.

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
On my Windows systems, Panda Cloud (Good detection rate), Baidu Cloud (Extremely light), and Malwarebytes (Once a week), all free. That and a free Firewall. Also a bunch of utilities from Piriform and Sysinternals, and iObit Uninstaller (it's good enough for me, and I can't be bothered trying new ones)

For my old WinXP system, now installed with Ubuntu+LXDE it's just ClamAV and a browser with some extensions with anti-malware capabilities.

And I don't currently use any other OS.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Aren't rootkits generally undetectable? I'm sure you've ran anti-rootkit scans though.

Are there any programs that don't conflict with AVG that you would recommend me? Paid or free? Hitman Pro sounds interesting.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Depending on which rootkit, and how it behaves, they can be relatively difficult to detect. HitmanPro is designed to look for that kind of stuff. Take it from me, and from the Hitman webpage... do not run two AV wares in parallel. It's a bad idea, for many different reasons. Run one and use the other for random scans, or stick with only one. Running more than one security software at a time is asking for trouble. You'll compromise speed, the two will likely fight each other, and they will also have to sift through twice as many processes, leaving the margin for error much wider. It's a recipe for disaster. I know people who insist on doing that, as they don't realise each software is designed to work alone, and without another security software running; but they don't listen. Some get viruses, some don't.

If you want something to scan your system with on occasion, use AVG for that, and run Bitdefender's free version for the live scanner; much lighter, and a much better accuracy rate. You shouldn't need AVG as a backup, but it's worth having if you aren't sure. Hitman and Bitdefender (or Kaspersky) would be my combination. I've heard more about Webroot than seen quality results, but they're worth looking into as well. Common household names like Norton and McAfee I wouldn't touch.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Check out Malwarebytes. It is good to have with another protection program. Download the free version and check it out. The free version is really decent. You can purchase the full version if you like it.

Huang Ray

Estimable
May 3, 2014
So, Avast free + Malwarebytes free vs
Bitdefender FREE + Malwarebytes free??

Many said Bitdfender free has a lot of problems...

Which combo should I go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.