Solved! Dock TB16 Dell, would it work with a TB3 supported desktop motherboard?

Mar 19, 2022
Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 with good specs that I use as a desktop replacement. However, it runs loud and i would like to reduce the noise when I'm working.

I have already most of the parts for a working desktop, I just need a CPU and mobo, so I was wondering if I should get a higher end mobo with thunderbolt 3 support.

My goal is to be able to switch the TB3 cable between the desktop and the laptop when needed. Would it work like this? If not, I would look to get a cheaper motherboard

Any info would be appreciated!

Solution
Yes the dock should work with the system, however with working with those docking statins with non Dell laptops they can have some odd issues with not detecting properly. I have one on a Lenovo laptop and every so often the mouse won't work, or the monitor would stop and I need to kill power to the dock and restart it to get them going again. I would assume a desktop PC is likely to have the same issues. Depending on the cost difference it may be worth to get the motherboard you really want anyway.
Yes the dock should work with the system, however with working with those docking statins with non Dell laptops they can have some odd issues with not detecting properly. I have one on a Lenovo laptop and every so often the mouse won't work, or the monitor would stop and I need to kill power to the dock and restart it to get them going again. I would assume a desktop PC is likely to have the same issues. Depending on the cost difference it may be worth to get the motherboard you really want anyway.

Solution