Does anyone know of any 4k tv that can support 1440p @ 120hz (or higher than 60)?

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
as the title states, I'm looking for a nice big TV, like I have now. It's connected to my PC, ps4, ps3, etc. so 1080 is great for me.

But when it comes to my PC and my PC games, I'd like to hit 1440p @ 120hz or higher, but on a big screen. Anyone know of any 4k tvs that can do that? As far as I know there aren't any dedicated 1440p televisions.

I'm looking for minimum 50" tvs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
wow that's a fantastic price for a 4k tv too bad the CAD version doesn't have the same savings, but still pretty good price, didn't even know they started releasing in 240hz. Now, would this mean that it CAN run 1440p resolution, and POSSIBLY higher than 60hz at that resolution? because i do have an hdmi 2.0 video card (gtx 970 msi gaming edition).

thanks for the response Digitaldoc

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Sweeeeet, thanks a lot man, its funny that LG, Sony, Samsung, have all failed to answer my question even when I emailed their technical staff lol. They all literally responded with "currently our 4k tvs are the highest resolution in market" lol.

anyways,

Thanks again!

jamok99

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014

jamok99

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
I am not terribly experienced in this area, but something you might want to check out - perhaps by googling:
1 Some TV manufacturers are advertising cheesy refresh rates: i.e., they may list a TV as 240, but in fact it''s a lower number - they were extrapolating that from something like a proprietary 'name' for a refresh rate, like 'x motion control or similar' and then highlighting that rate as real, when in fact, it's not what you'll get. I think Samsung may be particularly egregious about that, but Im not sure that's the most 'deceptive' claim.

2. There is a ratio for 4k tvs, that i don't understand, but I got this clearly by googling and reading articles and posts: True 4k has a ratio of 4:4:4. Some TVs, usually the lower end 4k models, that actually have a 4:2:2 ratio for this metric.(LG does that with some models for sure) What I've read is that for most viewing, you'll never see the difference. But it specifically said that it will be a visible factor in 4k gaming. Seems important to me to watch that.

I ended up going way high end by buying Samsung top tier 4k tv: F9000 55", It has the 4:4:4 ratio. And it advertises it's 'clear motion rate' at something like 1440 (not the actual figure - but it's meant to be compared to mhz refresh, when it may be a partly 'made up' number per above.) I read somewhere that gamers may not be happy with the 68ms (or something unacceptably high like that) vs. the 5ms moitor I'm currently using. I hope to use that TV as a monitor eventually, but my PC was razor cutting edge......in 2008 when I built it. No way it's going to handle that kind of resolution in gaming lol.

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

good info, I am aware that most of the higher refresh rates are simulated and I believe only some tvs, like the one Digitaldoc mentioned run in 120hz natively. Some lg's we'll find are like MCR or w.e at like 300, when really thats going to be 150max natively, and then simulation takes over which is actually very slow for gaming, even console gaming and thats why they have "game mode" as an available option in settings.

I'm hoping to be able to get 1440p running at a good refresh rate, tbh if I can get it even at 60hz i'll be fine with that. As I'm mostly a console gamer so 60hz doesn't bug me at all lol

moodytrans

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015

Did you try it? Did it work? i am also interested in running a 4k tv on my computer at 1440p or 2560 x 1600.

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

I was unable to get the tv in the link provided, but it should work with any 4k tv, as I tried it with a Samsung at TigerDirect before it shut down in canada.

I was able to get it in 1440p but sadly could only run in 60hz the reason being is the the tv is just designed that way. Could also be the limitations of HDMI 2.0 (and Displayport 1.2)

It still looked nice in 1440p running at 60hz.

Before getting a 4k tv to use it like this, I'd recommend taking a laptop or if the store has a desktop and either of these tools are 4k ready, and test it out, see if its to your liking, run a game or a movie.

Just know that if the tv gives you the option to leave the simulated 120+ hz on, turn it off, as it's most likely going to cause a lot of drag for your mouse, and just too much delay in response, in general.

And, if you do decide to get a 4k tv to run in game mode, TEST IT OUT! the Samsung tv in game mode had the worst picture quality ever (very dark) so i didn't buy it lol.

I'm just waiting now to see where the industry goes with 4k, OLED, OLED 4k before i buy.

sierra419

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
all of this is great but make sure you're taking input lag into account. Most 4k TVs have atrocious input lag. For someone so serious about gaming, this is a huge thing to not look into.

jamok99

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014

Sierra - good point. The 'lag' in synching speech to picture is a real problem with some sources of tv or video, and is apparently expected, as there is a setting for 'audio delay' built into the TV options. (Although you may be speaking of something else - the lag from online sources while gaming.) In any case, yes, the 'response time' in milliseconds is 68, just outrageous on paper, compared to the monitor I was using that had a 5ms response (refresh? forgive me for not having the command of all words tech.) That said, so far the Samsung F9000 UHD tv is perfectly fine with gaming, altho I haven't done much if any online multiplayer things. Also, just for the record (but important), with my rig being quad core and cutting edge in 2008 when I built it, it is ancient now, the only upgrade being the video card to an AMD r9 280 card, which is overkill, as I'm sure there are bottlenecks with the cpu, memory, etc. I'll be interested to see how I do with the next computer build that should eliminate those factors.

sierra419

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010

As long as your fine with the crazy input lag that you'll experience, my only other concern for you would be if you can even take advantage of 4k. There aren't many cards out there that will give you 4k. My rig (roughly $1850) can do 4k with games at max settings. Your computer from 08 won't be able to do that. Going up in resolution, even in the smallest amounts, greatly compounds the data processing that it takes to render each frame and effect. You'll probably do best by leaving your PC output to 1080 or 720 and upping your in game gfx settings.