Does Dell really have a bad service? even as of today? April 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
Hi. I'm looking for a laptop to use for college. Soo far what I found for my budget is the Dell Inspiron 14" 7447 (Pandora) Quad-core i7-4710HQ, GTX 850M 4GB vram, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM. (For some reason I cannot find this laptop on Dell's website which is another reason I'm doubtful of getting this.)

Another fact that's holding be back from taking this instead of just switching from the other brands (which has lesser specs for the price I'm getting this for) is that Dell has a bad reputation for customer service as reported by customers online but I am unsure if this is the case locally and currently. Although I've seen only reports of those a few years back about these complaints with Dell's support, I would expect Dell to be fine for local repairs provided I bring the laptop to local nearby Dell centers. (The sales rep I've been talking to has been convincing me that that Dell has an outstanding service locally and online, they've experienced it for themselves but we all know sales rep say things just to sell a product.)

Does anyone have a good experience from Dell's support locally and without the shipping and delivery factors of their support?(most of the bad reports from their support includes shipping and delivery time) In my case, the plain "My laptop LCD got cracked, I need Dell to replace it." support is what I need feedback from.

The sales rep I've been talking to also backed that up with the responsibility that he would personally call Dell for support if needed to further reduce my doubts of bad customer service from Dell.
I hope someone gives me a good experience from Dell's online support as of today and a positive warranty service from Dell. Thanks

PS: I wouldn't mind if you also provide your personal customer care experience with other laptop brands

cia24

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
Every-time I have had to have work done on Dell or Alienware I have had to escalate to a manager but once I was in touch with a manager all issues with warranty were resolved. They stand behind their warranty its just a pain to get it dealt with.

Example had to have a video card replaced in a alienware m17x r1 3 times in the end they upgraded me to a new laptop.

Sweet_Baboo

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015
I've never bought a laptop from them, but I'm still using my Dell XPS210 desktop from 2007. (with a new hard disk fitted six months ago)
I had the five year warranty on it and believe me when I say I had loads of problems with it for the first two years.
They sent out a local 'engineer' several times to replace parts.
They were very helpful and it was actually the reliability of the parts rather than the warranty service that made me wonder!
After two-ish years it settled down and I had no problems until the extended warranty had just expired.
At which point they wouldn't even 'give' me advice on the phone!

So my impression is that as long as you keep paying for the warranty then you should be ok.

That said, all things considered I moved away from Dell and don't buy from them any more.
I bought a Samsung laptop for my other half a couple of years ago and a basic Asus recently.
The Samsung is a fantastic quality machine, built like a tank and lovely to use.

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

I see. So in the first place, people kept on reporting bad customer service because their parts constantly break and grew issues over time without the warranty and such. Glad I knew this before I bought something from Dell. I wouldn't want to be treated like 3rd class after the warranty and other services expired.

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

Did you get the part exchange free of charge? I wouldn't mind dealing with their circling agents just to get to their manager, but I would like to know if you had warranty by that time. I've recently discovered that after Dell's warranties and services, they wouldn't even give advices for software fixes what more if a customer needed hardware (proprietary to Dell) replacement. Won't that give me an after-market sales headache?

cia24

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
I can tell you right now you are better off getting answer for computer issues here then you are at dell. Their warranty is ok they will honor it just takes time in my opinion.

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

I supposed you are correct. I guess my concern is now brought to the choice of going for a laptop model that isn't even on Dell's website (Inspiron 14" 7447 aka Pandora). The local Dell website for my country does have the drivers and manuals but I'm worried if Dell would still provide hardware specific to the model when I encounter hardware problems or other non-software issues. I apologize if I'm quite repetitive now, I just want to be feel safe and relieved from future problems and get the best experience for what we are paying for. I just want to make sure that going for Dell won't be something I'd regret as people reported.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
My Dell experience (Alienware Model) I had a problem where laptop wasn't charging and it turned off and would turn on. So I called Dell he had me disconnect battery and hold power button down 30 seconds(reset the battery). The didn't work then had me disconnect battery again and just use power brick and still didn't work. They said they would send a box overnight which it was there the next day I boxed and took to Fedex at 6pm and they had it in Houston from Orlando by 10 the next morning. They sent me a link to follow the process well it went to the tech and a part was on backorder it was about a week and they sent me an email with tracking #. I received the laptop and it worked but the SLI graphics didn't work. Only one card worked so I called back and i talked to someone in Costa Rica. So they setup with a local tech and shipped him a SLI cable to install. Well he came to me and he really didn't know Alienware specific. SO i asked him if he only worked on Dells or Alienware he said he works on all. He install the SLI cable and it still wasn't fixed plus he didn't put the machines back together properly as he removed all components and I had to tell him that that you need to remove the top not the bottom to get to cards (remove keyboard). Well first of all the local guy came to the wrong address and his english was bad. So when I contacted Dell the sent the box to the wrong address so when i didn't receive I called and they sent box and I shipped abck they got next day. They replace the mobo and graphics card and they shipped back in like 2 days and it's work ever since 2 months.

My complaint was with the local tech who wasn't a Dell specific guy that i didn't understand and he didn't understand me He couldn't get address straight. Once i corrected on the phone with Dell they sent to the correct address.

Another thing Dell has this battery saving thing that extends your battery length if you plug for lots of hours. What is does is similates a charge while still plugged in your battery power gauge will go below 100 and stay there for awhile.

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience! A little question though, did you mean that Dell has a good reputation for batteries and their longevity? I usually remove my laptop's battery when plugged in to theoretically protect the battery from overcharging. I understand that you suggested that I do not need to do that with Dell's battery technology? That would be a plus because the battery also acts as a stand and I wouldn't want to remove that ergonomic angle with the battery. I do know that over the long run, batteries tend to degrade and will be needing replacement. I hope Dell provide battery replacements around the country for easier replacements. I would consider that a good thing going for Dell.

I hope I won't regret going for Dell, there are other more expensive options out there but I just can't stand their price to performance ratio when you add the tax around here.

zom

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
In my experience Dell has totally rubbish service. My XPS13 failed. I have paid the premium for next business day on site service. It is now 17 days and they have not fixed the laptop after three visits. They have now gone quiet. I guess I am in the too hard basket. The problem has been that the parts they have used have been refurbished parts, and they have all been faulty when installed. They clearly aren't testing them except on customers. They refuse to repair with new parts.

I will never buy Dell again, and I warn everyone off Dell.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE PROMISES THEY MAKE YOU!!

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I consider myself lucky I've had no problem with Dell.

Cavy25

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
I actually got a Dell to replace my HP a while ago (the HP got exchanged out under the warranty I had with BestBuy because of so many issues). I actually had no issues with the Dell *knock on wood*. In fact, I still have it and use it, although at this point pretty much the only thing original is the CPU and MoBo. I've upgraded everything else over the years.

If you are getting it from a place that has their own protection plans (like a BestBuy or NewEgg) then I say go for it. I know some people may say I'm crazy for buying those, but with a laptop replacing components yourself can be a huge pain and crazy expensive. It's not like a desktop where everything is interchangeable.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I ment Dell has this software (Dell Power Manager) that when you leave you machine plugged in all the time it similates recharging the battery when it doesn't need it and it increases the lifetime of the battery. Your battery meter will say plugged in not charging. Some people freak out and think there is something wrong because it also says 75% charged. You can easily tell when this is working at the battery will stay at 75 %.

Sparklemom

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
Dell has really bad service as of today April 14, 2016. I purchased a warranty/service agreement with them in September of 2015. I've only needed them once maybe twice. I called yesterday, obviously my computer needed some work because it took the tech approximately 2 hours. (This was lastnight) he said he would call back today to check on the computer. His boss got on the phone and asked how he did which he did a very nice job. I wasn't too worried I figured I would play around with it before they called in case something needed to be tweaked. I had a schedule call for between 5-6. 4.5 hours later I'm still waiting. I called and they told me out of warranty is out of date so I requested to chat a form was sent to agree that I do not have a warranty/service agreement. That is so UNTRUE and I DID NOT SIGN. Where do I go from here? My computer is under warranty until September. I paid $300 for this

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well if you registered the PC online at the Dell site the warranty information is there. They have some diagnostic tolls there also. I would login and register based on serial number. It should also have a number they gave you when they repaired it.

Sara_30

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
My Dell experience: I have an Alienware Aurora since 2011 and i never had any issues with it.
Recently i had the need to upgrade my graphics card. I bought an AMD Radeon R9 390, an when i tryed to install it it had compatibility issues. I called Dell support to help me with this, since i needed to upgrade and wanted to know which top tier graphics would be compatible with my motherboard. After 1h30min + waiting i finally got to talk to someone from support. The first thing they asked me was my account tag to check my warranty, which, of course, was expired so the answer i got from the support guy was: "We are not supporting that motherboard anymore", to which i replied: "Ok, but can you tell me which graphics (better than mine - Radeon 6900 series) are compatible with it?" and he answered: "You have the best possible graphic for that motherboard.". After this i just said goodbye because clearly he didn't care.
Well i called bullshit and went on searching and traded the R9 for a GTX 970 and guess what? It WORKS!!!!
So 3 things i learned from DELL support:
- It's just plain awful, they don't care and don't give you any help if you don't have a warranty
- They have people with ZERO knowledge
- Be ready to wait 1h+ for someone from support to answer

rgd1101

Don't

1)as a business, yes, if you don't have a warranty, mean no support
2)read #1
3)For consumer level, business a lot better. You get what you paid for.

Sparklemom

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Sparklemom

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
It's too bad Dell is mistreating their customers. Since I posted last I found my warranty which I paid $300. When I call they either can't/won't help me or give me a time they will call. Then I never hear from them.

rgd1101

Don't

do you have a twitter or facebook account, nowadays usually get better support if you complaint there.

Status
Not open for further replies.