Solved! Does factory reset on a RCA Voyager Pro tablet roll back the Android version to the original version?

Feb 12, 2018
Due to incompatibilities with some apps, I need to roll back Android 7.0 on my new RCA Voyager Pro tablet to the original version shipped with the tablet, Android 6. When I first started the tablet, it automatically upgraded the firmware to Android 7.0. Will the Android version roll back from Ver 7 to Ver 6 with a full factory reset, i.e. "Power off, hold vol up, hit power key, select from menu", etc

Feb 12, 2018

Good suggestion, unfortunately there are no options to exert any control over "Software Update" in any form regarding the Android OS. It just checks for an update, and if it finds one it pulls the trigger without asking. I could root the tablet and take the chance of bricking it, but I don't want to do that. The 7" RCA Voyager Pro tablet is a great little device in all other ways, detachable keyboard, fast, so I don't want to mess with it too much.

I appealed to the software developer to update the App to work with Android 7. Their answer was "Sorry for the inconvenience, send the tablet back for a refund." Thought that response was a bit strange since I can't be the only one out here having this problem. Maybe Android 7.1 has the necessary fix to be compatible with apps written for Android 6 and before... not holding my breath on that.

Feb 12, 2018
Found some additional information about this, a 'Good News/Bad News' answer.

The good news: there is a way to block automatic updates if you enable "Developer Options". To do this, go to "About Tablet" and tap "Build Number" 5-6 times until you see the message "You are now a developer!". Go back to "System", and see that there is now a "Developer Options" displayed. Select that and turn on "Developer Options" in the next screen. Scroll down to find the "Automatic system updates" and slide the button to "Off".

The bad news: the tablet will have already updated to Android 7 by the time you have access to the System tab, and there is no way to roll it back to Android 6. This should block future updates, but the tablet will be at Android 7 with the problems that come with Android 7.

I may still consider rooting the tablet, we'll see how this works out.