Solved! does fried hdmi mean TV is going to die?

andrepartthree

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Hi there :) .. well I'll tell you it's like banging my head against a brick wall as far as conversations with my spouse :(

We live in Florida so of course lots of thunderstorms.. asked my wife for permission to have an electrician install a whole house surge protector, she said no (thankfully she is now agreeing to the whole house surge protector, but only after significant damage was alerady done, see below).

Big lightning strike took place near to our house... one TV fried completely as was one computer... the other TV that is still alive is our Panasonic Viera 54 inch (model TC-P54G25 I think) but two of the HDMI ports are completely fried ... the two that are fried had devices attached to it that were on at the time (oddly enough the devices attached to the non-functional HDMI ports are still working, the HDMI ports themselves are dead however).

The two remaining HDMI ports on the TV (there were four total) are still functioning.. but here is my dilemma... my pleas with my wife to purchase a new replacement TV being sold at a really good price right now are falling on deaf ears, since she is arguing that the TV is "perfectly fine" since devices attached to the two remaining functional HDMI ports work.

This would seem to be a common sense " Of course the TV is going to die soon, two of it's HDMI ports got fried ! " sort of question but... can anyone with any expertise confirm this? If two HDMI ports got fried due to an electrical surge, is it safe to say the entire TV as a whole is doomed to die in a very short period of time?

Thanks very much to anyone who replies to this :) ..

Solution
This is anecdotal, so take with a grain of salt. I had a Polaroid LCD TV, 42in I think. The cat threw up on it/peed on it and the HDMI port was messed up. As far as it being shot, well... That TV lasted 7 years and I finally sold it because it was only 1080p and it was super heavy, but it worked all that time, just the HDMI was messed up. NOW, here are the answers. If only the HDMI ports are messed up then it can last years longer, depending on how long it would have lasted anyhow. IF something else in there is messed up, well, that can really shorten the shelf life. I live in FL too, Gulf Coast, and good surge protection is just a way of life.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
This is anecdotal, so take with a grain of salt. I had a Polaroid LCD TV, 42in I think. The cat threw up on it/peed on it and the HDMI port was messed up. As far as it being shot, well... That TV lasted 7 years and I finally sold it because it was only 1080p and it was super heavy, but it worked all that time, just the HDMI was messed up. NOW, here are the answers. If only the HDMI ports are messed up then it can last years longer, depending on how long it would have lasted anyhow. IF something else in there is messed up, well, that can really shorten the shelf life. I live in FL too, Gulf Coast, and good surge protection is just a way of life.

Solution

andrepartthree

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Jossrik thanks so much for your quick reply and what you had to say I appreciate it, that gives me hope :) ( though yes I totally get that it's anecdotal and not all TV's are alike :) ) ... but that is encouraging since my wife will not budge on this :p ... we have a feline member of the family too so I got quite a laugh out of that :) .. and it's good to hear from someone else who lives here in Florida (Hurricane Irma was something else eh? :) .. though not nearly as bad as previous hurricanes ;) ) ... love the avatar by the way too - is that Cheshire cat from American McGee's Alice in Wonderland? Awesome game :)

guanyu210379

Distinguished
It depends on how and why the HDMI cable is fried.
A broken TV is among the possibilities.

Devices after being hit by over-voltage/surges are mostly dead.
If this happens often, it is best to invest for surge protectors and make sure your grounding in the house is good enough.Surge protectors/aresters need good grounding.
Depending on, where you live, you have to protect your electronic devices from over-voltage surges, voltage instability and outages.
From where I came from, without a good UPS (voltage stabilizer, outage protection and surge protection included), I might just have to replace my PC and some other devices monthly or weekly.

andrepartthree

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Thanks for that :) .. and sorry I should have mentioned I did have surge protectors already prior to the electric surge - but stupid me they are several years old and probably absorbed far too many electrical "shocks" over the years.... I've invested in surge protectors that cut off automatically (no longer supply power) if they no longer provide protection (Tripp Lite TLP1008TEL model for the TV and for the computer when it's replaced)