does intel i3 6100 have hyperthreading?

vikyy17

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
i3 6100 has 4 threads as per the official website. i3 being a dual core, does that mean it can handle two threads per core giving an illusion of quad core CPU to programs? if this is true then the processor does support hyperthreading right?

Solution

So first of all the specs shown are only true for desktop cpus, Intel's laptop cpus are totally different as there are even some i7 cpus that are just 2 cores with 4 threads. Second, hyper threading is just a way to get more performance from a cpu core by allowing 2 threads to run on it at the...

vikyy17

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015

both the processors have only 4 threads in total irrespective of no of cores. even though i5 has four cores it has only 4 threads as i3. so how i5 performs faster than i3? its kinda confusing. please explain

utroz

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

So first of all the specs shown are only true for desktop cpus, Intel's laptop cpus are totally different as there are even some i7 cpus that are just 2 cores with 4 threads. Second, hyper threading is just a way to get more performance from a cpu core by allowing 2 threads to run on it at the same time allowing more of the cpu's resources to be used at any given time but in the end 1 cpu core only has so many resources. So a single core with hyperthreading will have 2 threads but will always be slower than 2 of the same cpu cores without hyper-threading due to the fact that 2 cores have more resources than 2 threads running on one core.

Solution

Twigman

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Simple way to remember it is that hyper threading adds an extra 0.2 cores per extra thread. Windows is programmed to schedule tasks to take advantage of spare resources when hyper threading is enabled, hence giving the illusion of 4 cores. So an i3 is in reality more like a 2.4 core cpu and a quad core i7 would be like a 4.8 core cpu. ~