Does Steve Jobs Hold the Kiss of Death for Bill Gates?

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Been thinking about this lately and I thought it would make for interesting discussion. Macs have basically become PC's with a Mac OS instead of being the proprietary machines they used to be. One can even have Windows installed on a Mac if one choosed to do so (though I don't know why anyone would).

What people buy Macs for is brand loyalty and the OS. Even I have to admit the OS is far more user-friendly than Windows. The old joke when Windows came out was Windows '95 equals Macintosh '85, and Windows has been trying to catch up ever since.

So what if Apple modified their OS and sold it to anyone regardless of whether they have a Mac or a PC? PC users, for the first time, would have a strong contender to Windows, Linux, or any of the other PC OS's to choose from. Personally, I'd take the Mac OS over Windows any day.

And Apple, having been working with a lot of PC equipment, should have the capability to develop the OS for general sale. My guess is it would take quite a bite out of Bill Gates's pocket and not give him so much of a monopoly on what PC users can use on their computers.

Just a thought. Your thoughts?

michaelsteve

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
hi ,

I Personally think that Linux is better than windows though i use windows. Look at the interface of Ubuntu Linux and u will understand . if Linux distros can be more friendly (UI) and accept or detect more hard wares then one day they will take over the desktop

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I've not seen Linux in operation, but I believe you. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to make a more user-friendly OS than Windows. What I've always wondered is why they don't grab people off the streets that know very little about computers and ask them their opinion on the OS.

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Steve...aarrghh... JOBZZZ.... .hehhhh izzzz a raving LUNATIC...grrrrrr........aaaarrrrrggghhh ...... heheheh..... my precious......WHERE IS IT???? .... .... .... .i know where you are billllll.......hheeeeehhhahahah.....

Just my opinion though :)

sssstop.... loooooking aaat meeeeee........

wisher

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Been thinking about this lately and I thought it would make for interesting discussion. Macs have basically become PC's with a Mac OS instead of being the proprietary machines they used to be. One can even have Windows installed on a Mac if one choosed to do so (though I don't know why anyone would).

What people buy Macs for is brand loyalty and the OS. Even I have to admit the OS is far more user-friendly than Windows. The old joke when Windows came out was Windows '95 equals Macintosh '85, and Windows has been trying to catch up ever since.

So what if Apple modified their OS and sold it to anyone regardless of whether they have a Mac or a PC? PC users, for the first time, would have a strong contender to Windows, Linux, or any of the other PC OS's to choose from. Personally, I'd take the Mac OS over Windows any day.

And Apple, having been working with a lot of PC equipment, should have the capability to develop the OS for general sale. My guess is it would take quite a bite out of Bill Gates's pocket and not give him so much of a monopoly on what PC users can use on their computers.

Just a thought. Your thoughts?
Apple can develop its OS only on a closed platform, with a total control on drivers, otherwise also they'll have compatibility issues

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Currently, yes. But I wonder if Apple could still be profitable and scale the Mac OS for other platforms like Microsoft does with Windows?