Done with iTunes...

Lonewolf19

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
I'm done with iTunes for good. I've been a PC-user for a very long time, always weary of apple products with their overpriced, difficult-to-upgrade, over-rated product line. I purchased an iPod not to long ago for my wife. Initially, I have to admit, it was working great. Then, the problems escalated. First, the FM transmitter started working with a mind of its own, making using iPod with my car nearly useless. Then came iTunes, masked as a user-friendly, open-ended music organizer. Soon came to realize that all purchased downloads were in m4p format, that made them completely incompatible with any other MP3 player except the iPod. Converting m4p format to mp3 involves burning Cds and then reverse ripping into mp3 format!!! Talk about ridiculous. Then, every so often, iTunes would not recognize my iPod, requiring me reinstall or force me to update iTunes software. I'm done with iTunes. There are better music organizers and better online downloading websites than having to resort to apple's monopolized version.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
I've looked around a lot to see if anyone has had similar problems with their ipods, but can't find anything. I got a new ipod (40 G.) and it seemed to be working fine. When I upgraded my new G4 to Panther, things started to act real strange. The basic problem was that the songs would disappear from view. The disk space was still being used, but I couldn't see any songs/albums/etc. displayed. I reset/reinstalled many times. Things would be okay for a while, but then the same thing would happen. Finally I decided to reinstall the OS on my computer and partition my hard drive, which I should have done from the beginning. I did that this weekend. Today the ipod is okay - I reinstalled everything from zero there, too. But I have no confidence that this won't happen again.... Anyone have similar things happening with their iPod?

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">Digital-Music-Guide.com</A>

Lonewolf19

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
You must have not looked hard enough :). To tell you the truth, I would be able to put up with the occasional quirks with my ipod but the issue of compatability still turns me off. Even if I continue using my ipod, I'm not going to use iTunes as my main music browser and MP3 retail store. I think its a waste of money to purchase MP3 (or really M4P) through iTunes and have them only work with one brand. Looks like you're a MAC user and thus probably don't care about marrying iTunes but most computer users will eventually be turned off by not being able to move their MP3 files between their portable MP3 players/devices.