Downscaling 1080 to 720 to get better quality image.

showmedigital

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
Hello people. This thread may not be appropriate for the form, but ill try any ways.
Downscaling 4k video to 1080 you can get a ProRes quality and then put it on a BD and enjoy the awesomeness..
Now, I shoot mostly at 1080 (4k is waaaaay to expensive and there is too much hassle) Question is: can i somehow get a better depth, sampling and other specs by converting a 1080p to a 720p footage. Key thing. I correct it in 1080p, some stuff even in 4k for stabilization and other color beating and all done in Premiere Pro. My camera is getting a little old. Its a Canon, they are a little behind on the whole video for your money thing.. But none the less, its my favorite brand by far.
Any suggestions?

randomizer

Distinguished
Downscaling doesn't increase the quality of the video. After all, it throws away an enormous amount of data just to shed pixels (and even more because of the lossy encode). It might be better than a video shot at the lower resolution but that's only because there was more detail to sample in the first place. It isn't a result of the downscaling process itself. Moreover, if you downscale to 1280x720 then you'll have to upscale again to display on a 1920x1080 display. This is going to given you a poorer image than you would have had originally.