Drive locked in hdparm won't unlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowmoo

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Did a full wipe on my pc using parted magic. passed the command for a secure erase of my ssd and hdd with a NULL password. The ssd erase took like 10 seconds and went off without a hitch. The hdd took 2 hours and announced as finished. Disconnected my hdd to install Windows 7 to my ssd. When I tried connecting my hdd windows said it failed to initialize due to io error. Loaded up parted again and hdparm says the drive is still locked. Tried passing 'hdparm --user-master u - - security-unlock NULL /dev/sdf' got 'security unlock: input/output error' tried leaving the password blank and gota missing password error.

I am getting no password prompt in bios and the drive checks out in all self-tests from Windows. According to msi my bios does not support hdd password protection.

Right now I am trying another secure erase with a non-null password to see if it clears. If that fails I hear DBAN may work. Anyone have any other suggestions?

If verification of ownership is an issue I can post a pic of my old Newegg orders.

Shadowmoo

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

According to what I know about how it works, the drive must first have security lock disabled before diskman can even attempt to initialize or partition. Which I've tried hddunlocker and it only works in 32bit I hear. That's the only way I could find to pass an unlock command from in Windows. I also tried diskman and got an io error.

Shadowmoo

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Gonna try and see if the drive just needs time to complete the wipe. It seems my issue is caused possibly by parted telling me to use NULL as the security password. The unlock command seems to think NULL is a passphrase not an empty set but then refuses to pass the command if no password or a space is entered. When I entered NULL as the security it showed up as " " but entering NULL in the unlock command shows up as "NULL"

Muhammad Zuhdi

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

What do you meant by that? How to achieve for the command to shows us as "NULL"? Is it correct I should use "hdparm --security-disable NULL /dev/sda"? In my case I didn't leave the password empty instead fill with my own password as of now got input/output error

andrezinh0

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014

Can you share how you were able to get it unlocked?
I'm getting Input/Output Error to any hdparm command I try to issue to a locked 64Gb Crucial M4 SSD. The drive was locked by an LG Blu-Ray player. I tried connecting it to more than one laptop, desktop PC, Mac, through eSATA and directly attatched to the motherboard. Any help?

Tomi Rox

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015

THANK YOU so much for posting this it really saved me from my frustration :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.