Droid X Takes Pot Shot at iPhone 4 Case Situation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weakerthans4

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for it, if it's Droid it's short 20,000 Apps and it is alot bulkier than an iphone4. Yes the Iphone 4 has some issues, but it's still leaps and bounds ahead of droid.[/citation]

If it's apple, it has a 5MP camera that was the standard for high end phones over a year ago, the retina display to take your attention off the antenna and where's the app so I can make a call? Oh yeah, there is no app for that...

Thanks but no thanks. I'll take the droid x with it's ability to maintain reception, complete a call and to use it's (don't know if it's industry leading, but still better than the iphone) 8MP camera.

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
I tried doing the same thing as in the apple video with my Motorola droid and i couldn't make it drop signal even if i squeezed it till my thumb got red just like the guy in the video. :)

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Maybe apple should just try to build a great phone... instead of an ipod touch with a phone built in. Obviously apple thinks the phone part of the "iphone" is secondary. It is supposed to be a phone.... right?

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]weakerthans4[/nom]If it's apple, it has a 5MP camera that was the standard for high end phones over a year ago, the retina display to take your attention off the antenna and where's the app so I can make a call? Oh yeah, there is no app for that...Thanks but no thanks. I'll take the droid x with it's ability to maintain reception, complete a call and to use it's (don't know if it's industry leading, but still better than the iphone) 8MP camera.[/citation]

I own an EVO, it has an 8MP camera. Till this day, it bothers me that people still think higher MP = Quality. One thing (YES 1 thing) the iPhone does edge the EVO and DroidX in is camera quality, I've seen it for myself. Megapixel is just a resolution. Example: Take a Nikon D40 and compare it to a 12MP GE camera. The Nikon would still destroy it in quality. Unfortunately that's the only thing the iPhone4 edges these 2 android phones in. I can care less about camera quality anyways. That's what my Canon PowerShot is for. Anyways, thought I'd point out that Megapixel fact.

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]I own an EVO, it has an 8MP camera. Till this day, it bothers me that people still think higher MP = Quality. One thing (YES 1 thing) the iPhone does edge the EVO and DroidX in is camera quality, I've seen it for myself. Megapixel is just a resolution. Example: Take a Nikon D40 and compare it to a 12MP GE camera. The Nikon would still destroy it in quality. Unfortunately that's the only thing the iPhone4 edges these 2 android phones in. I can care less about camera quality anyways. That's what my Canon PowerShot is for. Anyways, thought I'd point out that Megapixel fact.[/citation]
Educate yourself.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3826/motorola-droid-x-thoroughly-reviewed/16

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]porschedream[/nom]this is seriously highly unprofessional , lame excuses for what is a design flaw on apple's part[/citation]
They must be pretty sure of their point if they make a web page of it.

Because if they can't back it up, or if other manufacturers can prove the wrongness of the information, then it is diffamation and big Lawsuits $$$

so far nobody sues Apple for diffamation, so I guess their pointr stands... so far.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]konjiki7[/nom]Educate yourself.http://www.anandtech.com/show/3826 [...] eviewed/16[/citation]
as much as I love anandtech's reviews I must say Insider's comment was an already educated one. As for your link... well it shows that until Froyo is in there is no clear winner between the iPhone 4 and the Droid X. If you like CDMA network that is... Because GSM is the Worldwide standard.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I've always thought the iPhone was a neat device, but it has two major things going against it: 1) It's made by Apple, 2) It's only available on the AT&T network.

Now don't get me wrong, Apple comes up with some great ideas... truly revolutionary. At the same time, they are one of the most Draconian tech companies I can think of. I have never subscribed to the notion that companies should dictate to their customers, but rather the other way around. Yet, Apple maintains a legion of fanboys who are happy to drop to their knees and worship at the alter of Steve Jobs.

With regard to Verizon, they do some annoying crap to be sure. Limit of 5 phones line per family plan, require you to take a data plan if you have a 3G multimedia phone (some people just want a hw keyboard for texting and not internet access), and their firmware is somewhat restrictive. However, their coverage is absolutely the best. Even the closest rival network is a DISTANT second. And, afterall, no matter what these phones can do, they are first and foremost PHONES. If the coverage sucks, what's the point (e.g. Cricket)?

The Motorola Droid X is definitely a bad-ass device! These puppies sold out everywhere in only a few days! Still, I got to play with one and was so impressed, I purchased one the next day (should be in next week). Once we get Froyo (Android 2.2) on these bad-boys, they'll be smartphone to beat!

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
What's with all the apple bashing. Why, if you hold the iPhone4 in a way in a way that you're more likely to drop it, break it, and buy a new one -- you won't need a bumper!

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]konjiki7[/nom]Educate yourself.http://www.anandtech.com/show/3826 [...] eviewed/16[/citation]

Different sites, different reviews. I had my friends iPhone4 and my EVO and took the same exact pictures and compared for myself. With my own eyes I saw better quality on her phone (Slightly) It even took better pictures at night time than my EVO did.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16581/iphone_evo

Anyone with basic camera knowledge can tell you that megapixels aren't everything and do not determine quality. Digital cameras use sensors. So as I was saying, apart from the slightly better camera quality on the iPhone, I couldn't find anything else better on her phone. In fact, she thought about returning it after tampering with my EVO.

G

Alright guys. I own an iPhone 4, and I can duplicate the bars disappearing trick. I also have not dropped a call.

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Different sites, different reviews. I had my friends iPhone4 and my EVO and took the same exact pictures and compared for myself. With my own eyes I saw better quality on her phone (Slightly) It even took better pictures at night time than my EVO did.http://blogs.computerworld.com/16581/iphone_evoAnyone with basic camera knowledge can tell you that megapixels aren't everything and do not determine quality. Digital cameras use sensors. So as I was saying, apart from the slightly better camera quality on the iPhone, I couldn't find anything else better on her phone. In fact, she thought about returning it after tampering with my EVO.[/citation]
Your certainly correct. Megapixel aren't everything. In the case most droid phones the high megapixel capture give enough room to capture high res video. Which is where high resolution really counts. I think its a worth trade in this case.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
How come the news media is so quick to report about class-action lawsuits yet we never much about how they resolved in court? On a related note... why are people so anxious to join up in such cases when they will eventually get $1 or $2 for their trouble and get put on a "we don't like them" list at the company they've helped sue. Meanwhile, the lawfirm keeps 60% of the millions of dollars in suit payoff and smiles all the way to the next class-action filing.

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Couldn't find the edit feature anywhere....

Your certainly correct. Megapixel aren't everything. In the case of most droid phones high megapixel capture gives enough room to capture hd video. Which is where high resolution really counts. I think its a worthy trade in this case.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Apple bashing other companies to deny their own fault is bad.

Every company has the right to make mistakes, and even some of them have made really bad phones, but let's admit it, from the crapload of phones every company designs every year, maybe 1 or 2 models reflect a flaw.

But, APPLE MAKES ONLY ONE MODEL and that because it is "oh so perfect" that they don't need any other. And yet they manage to screw it so big that you don't know whether to cry or laugh.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
THE PENALTY OF LEADERSHIP

In every field of human endeavour, he that is first must perpetually live in the white light of publicity. Whether the leadership be vested in a man or in a manufactured product, emulation and envy are ever at work. In art, in literature, in music, in industry, the reward and the punishment are always the same. The reward is widespread recognition; the punishment, fierce denial and detraction. When a man’s work becomes a standard for the whole world, it also becomes a target for the shafts of the envious few. If his work be mediocre, he will be left severely alone - if he achieves a masterpiece, it will set a million tongues a-wagging. Jealousy does not protrude its forked tongue at the artist who produces a commonplace painting. Whatsoever you write, or paint, or play, or sing, or build, no one will strive to surpass or to slander you unless your work be stamped with the seal of genius. Long, long after a great work or a good work has been done, those who are disappointed or envious, continue to cry out that it cannot be done. Spiteful little voices in the domain of art were raised against our own Whistler as a mountback, long after the big would had acclaimed him its greatest artistic genius. Multitudes flocked to Bayreuth to worship at the musical shrine of Wagner, while the little group of those whom he had dethroned and displaced argued angrily that he was no musician at all. The little world continued to protest that Fulton could never build a steamboat, while the big world flocked to the river banks to see his boat steam by. The leader is assailed because he is a leader, and the effort to equal him is merely added proof of that leadership. Failing to equal or to excel, the follower seeks to depreciate and to destroy - but only confirms once more the superiority of that which he strives to supplant. There is nothing new in this. It is as old as the world and as old as human passions - envy, fear, greed, ambition, and the desire to surpass. And it all avails nothing. If the leader truly leads, he remains - the leader. Master-poet, master-painter, master-workman, each in his turn is assailed, and each holds his laurels through the ages. That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. That which deserves to live - lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now why don't you Android users dig a hole and live in it. The world will not miss a follower and its users.

Status
Not open for further replies.