Dutch Court Issues Europe-wide Ban on Galaxy S and S2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Who the heck cares if Samsung used a swiping gesture to view photos like Apple uses a swiping gesture to view photos!? I know I don't. Despicable.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
A Dutch Court in the Hague has issued a Europe-wide preliminary injunction against Samsung's Galaxy S, Galaxy S II and Ace smartphones.

I thought the ruling said that Samsung couldn't import the Galaxy into the Netherlands anymore, which in effect would mean that Samsung's imports of the phone to the rest of Europe would suffer.

Though if this is an Android-related problem, shouldn't Apple be targeting Google instead?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Shouldn't be too hard to reprogram the photo swiping "technology". Again though, Apple just bought themselves another month or two. They are openly using some low blow business tricks. At least do it behind curtains. Then again, the richest corporation in the world, what do they care.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
A good pattent judge/lawyer would realize that the underlying technology: The ability to have your finger interface via touch, would, can, and should be patented. The method of interface, should not. Why are we not also up in-arms about the fact that Amazon has a patent for '1 click purchasing'. They have had it for years. I can't believe that they can do this.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I will patent the way you recharge a mobile device by pluging it to a recharger . Then sue apple for it! What the fuk .. stupid court.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I thought the ruling said that Samsung couldn't import the Galaxy into the Netherlands anymore, which in effect would mean that Samsung's imports of the phone to the rest of Europe would suffer.Though if this is an Android-related problem, shouldn't Apple be targeting Google instead?[/citation]

It's called mis-directed rage. Also, thanks for highlighting the fact that Samsung ships its goods into Europe via the Netherlands, something that Apple will not have been alien to and most likely used to its advantage.

If patent trolling was outlawed (please, someone do something about this), I wonder if Apple would be up before the European Court of Justice for attempting to gain a monopoly by way of anticompetitive practices...? One can but wish.

G

Samsung should announce to its customers that it is recommended that they not use their index finger to swipe. Any other digit, including toes is acceptable by the courts. Oh, elbows are ok too.

G

We shouldn't ask for any vigilante justice, especially the hacking kind on a technology website. We, as members of Tom's Hardware, would wish that we are respected and will always take the High Road in such difficult times. We mustn't become what we dislike, but endeavor to persevere.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]...if this is an Android-related problem, shouldn't Apple be targeting Google instead?[/citation]Google only supplies the free OS; they don't build or market phones (yet; [coughMotorolacough]).

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Has Apple patented how to wipe our ass too?

What kind of judge is that... most likely a retard, but he should be careful, I'm sure Apple has a patent somewhere about how to be a retard seeing as most of the consumer base becomes affected shortly after buying into their bullsh!t.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
A synonym for the patent system - the way to stifle innovation.

I wonder if this will actually decrease crApple sales in Europe rather than give them a monopoly. That would be cool if it did stifle sales in Europe.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
As I remember, the intent of the European Union is a free, open market. That means that I as a Swedish citizen would simply order it from one of the countries without the sales ban, having it shipped to me without any toll or hassle => Apple fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.