Dutch Court Issues Europe-wide Ban on Galaxy S and S2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I get this is on a software level and not how they look but when does Apple get in trouble for falsifying documents?

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
You should not be able to patent wiping your finger across a screen. Technology, such as specific hardware design, should be able to be patented, not procedures.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
the judge found that Samsung did infringe upon an Apple patent related to swiping gestures to view photos in a gallery application and, according to FOSS Patents, has issued a ban that will apply in any country where that patent is valid.
What the...? Now Apple claims to have a patent for human motion!? Not only that, but a judge upheld the claim? Are you kidding me!?

What the heck is this world coming to? If this is part of human evolution, then there's a part of me hopes the Mayans are right...

G

Not gonna bash Europeans because as a whole, its not their fault at all... seems like freedoms are disappearing everywhere, not just in the US as it is so often pointed out in comments. Love peace happiness freedom and the right to choose what phone you wanna use.. Amen to God, Allah, Yahweh(sp?) and any other pertinent entities, like those from outer space.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Another unproud dutchman here...

Seriously though, this is a software thing, and it is amongst all android phones? Wouldn't that be like attacking acer or HP or any other PC manufacturer for having a similar method of scrolling through a window compared to a mac? WTF is this bullsh!t?

And then why does apple solely attack samsung? Because samsung actually managed to make a device that sells pretty good and is threatening to remove market share from apple?

Seriously, F apple

G

What company, if any, first introduced the mouse or the keyboard to the patent offices? Who patented WASD? QWERTY? Left-click? Right-click? Who owns those? rofl... hate apple.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]A court enforced Apple monopoly. Wonderful...[/citation]
[citation][nom]tuch92[/nom]I get this is on a software level and not how they look but when does Apple get in trouble for falsifying documents?[/citation]

Here we go again. lol Cmon guys, showing the devices to be the same size in a illustration when your the reason why you in court is because of the interface means nothing. It was for illustration purposes.

Also, of all the patents included in the lawsuit the court threw out all but one and that is how you slide between pictures. That is what triggered this, so no that does not show any bias by the court.

It is amazing how you guys spin everything as if Apple has control of the world and you are the rebellion. These are communications devices and Apple and Samsung are both making compelling products that compete very well in the marketplace. Apple comes out with a cool new feature, competitors follow suit with something they feel they can compete with and the same vice versa which is why the next iphone could potentially have a bigger screen without changing the size of the phone.

G

Biggest kid in the playground with the biggest stick won't let anyone else play and wants your lunch money... or else.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]You should not be able to patent wiping your finger across a screen. Technology, such as specific hardware design, should be able to be patented, not procedures.[/citation]

This capability is enabled not by the fact that you can move your finger but but the fact that the device can recognize and respond to your action. It is completely technology based and yes it is absolutely patentable especially if they do it in a way they created.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I'm going to patent the action of swiping my tissue-covered finger across my backside to clean myself after defecating. After I do so I will sue anyone that tries to wipe their ass.

G

Pack Of Ass*****, Ive jus ordered my Galaxy S2 getting it 2moro ;-) cant wait , 10* better phone than ITosh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
The patent process just doens't make a lot of sense for technology related things. It's a bit like plagurism on a (simple) math problem, really. There's little chance a four-year old would come up with a word-for-word replica of the Gettysburg Address on his own for a given assignment, but ask any two people to solve 2+2, and their work will look pretty much identical. In the case of technology, try to solve a given problem, i.e. recognizing touch gestures, and many completely independent companies will come up with the exact same implementation on their own. That's what happens when there is a "most-efficient" answer. They aren't stealing from anyone, they just both come up with the correct answer. Apparently, being the first to solve it means you are allowed a monopoly on the problem whether the other companies care about your method or not.

G

Next up, Apple will patent the human form and sue the entire world for infringing on looking human... you think I'm kidding but...

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]This capability is enabled not by the fact that you can move your finger but but the fact that the device can recognize and respond to your action. It is completely technology based and yes it is absolutely patentable especially if they do it in a way they created.[/citation]

It's highly doubtful they are talking about a specific hardware in this case. The article specifically states wiping photos. I doubt that Samsung has the exact same technology. You can patent a procedure, which you shouldn't be able to, yet you can, and this sounds exactly like one of those cases.

hamthony

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Up next... Apple patents the fart, it will now be called an ifart. The Samsung Galaxy products have been amazing handsets. I've got a Galaxy S Vibrant and affter having this phone for a year this is one of the few products I've ever owned that made me want to buy more products from a specific company, I think apple is Ipooping in their Ipanties. Samsung is one of the only companies that Apple is playing catch-up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.