Dutch Court Issues Europe-wide Ban on Galaxy S and S2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raaj1234

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I own and use a SGS for over half a year now, fine piece of HW...

Reading the article and the court's decision what strikes me as "odd" is that when I scroll through photo's on a SGS and compare that to an iPhone(4) the differences are really very much noticeable........ and for me at least, I do prefer the iPhone when it comes to photo scrolling.

Well, reading that after the court's order Samsung has decided (or will decide) to make changes to the SGS(2) I personally do believe that they will do a good job and make something nice and at the same time better that what they have now. A great change to improve :)

So, all in all I can mention here that if Apple were to loose a couple of fights over some silly patents they (Apple) should see it as a blessing from above and a perfect oppurtunity, without having to deal with the hot breath of the share holders in their neck (since they have a valid and legit reason) to actually improve on their already fine job in making a nice piece of HW even better :)

......... and, on a personal note, perhaps finally get rid of their not so lovely (in my opinion at least) i-t-u-n-e-s.....thus finally I can get hold of a real smart-phone with a chewed of apple tattoo on it ;)

I hope you do agree: what a fine pieces of HW both the SGS(2) and iPhone(4) are that make us feel special and are more than happy to throw our precious money at :D

raaj1234

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
WOOPS......sorry for the typo's...

change = chance (of course ;)

About the rest of my typo's......you're smart since you probably own a smart-phone ;)

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Something in the back of my mind tells me a U.S. Defense Contractor developed the wipe for the U.S. Navy before Apple applied for the patent. Very similar to the streaming video patent issue 10 years ago.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I know everyone likes to take this opportunity to bash Apple over this, but this is NOT just Apple. This is the patent system in general and it needs some reform. Though you can blame companies for abusing it, but until there are changes there are legal implications if you don't do your homework on what patents you might be infringing on. Google likes to whine and cry about all these patent lawsuits, that they knew full well what they were going into before they bought Android!! Samsung and all these large companies really have no one else to blame, but themselves. Patents are not secretly kept in some vault that no one can see. If you come up with a new idea that you want to goto market with, then part of that is patent checking period. It doesn't matter what you or I think is right or not. It's what is law now.

raaj1234

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I better go and patent the middle finger hand motion before Apple does.[/citation]

Damnit!!! Second :(
I just wasted a great opportunity to aid some gestures in improving smart-ass touchy phones :DDD

Go for it, get your patent goin' and sue those smartphone makin' critters (lol) !

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Something in the back of my mind tells me a U.S. Defense Contractor developed the wipe for the U.S. Navy before Apple applied for the patent. Very similar to the streaming video patent issue 10 years ago.[/citation]

Actually, I go you one better, prior art from the movie Minority Report. Take a look some time at Tom Cruise and the other actors interacting with the pre-crime system and take a look at the gestures they use. Sorry, but Apple should lose this patent on prior art because they pulled the idea from somewhere else and it was public domain at the time.

raaj1234

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]raaj1234[/nom]Damnit!!! Second I just wasted a great opportunity to aid some gestures in improving smart-ass touchy phones DDGo for it, get your patent goin' and sue those smartphone makin' critters (lol) ![/citation]

Oh wait! what about this as a gesture:

wipe your nose with your index finger as a (logical) gesture to clean up all crappy lookin' and out of focus photo's?

raaj1234

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]eeide[/nom]I know everyone likes to take this opportunity to bash Apple over this, but this is NOT just Apple. This is the patent system in general and it needs some reform. Though you can blame companies for abusing it, but until there are changes there are legal implications if you don't do your homework on what patents you might be infringing on. Google likes to whine and cry about all these patent lawsuits, that they knew full well what they were going into before they bought Android!! Samsung and all these large companies really have no one else to blame, but themselves. Patents are not secretly kept in some vault that no one can see. If you come up with a new idea that you want to goto market with, then part of that is patent checking period. It doesn't matter what you or I think is right or not. It's what is law now.[/citation]

It's a shame that you may think that we like or take pride in bashing one party or another, bro...
Personally I for one do like what Apple has done and developed in order to create a great smart phone and the same goes for Samsung as well. On the same note I don't really care whether any party claims to be the "inventor" or the first to patent or even copy or 'steal' from someone else's great idea. It's like, I want to buy something and have all the specs, tools, utilities, performance, sexiness of design I need and/or want in ONE smartphone, you know?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I thought the ruling said that Samsung couldn't import the Galaxy into the Netherlands anymore, which in effect would mean that Samsung's imports of the phone to the rest of Europe would suffer.Though if this is an Android-related problem, shouldn't Apple be targeting Google instead?[/citation]
Apple is scared of Samsung specifically since it is competing and competing well with the iPhone, that is why they go for Samsung and not just Android in general.

raaj1234

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Apple is scared of Samsung specifically since it is competing and competing well with the iPhone, that is why they go for Samsung and not just Android in general.[/citation]

The import and sell ban is not in all other European countries, just a couple since Apple knocked on the national courts in a couple of European countries (e.g. The Netherlands, Germany etc.)

Also Apple, I believe, targeted Samsungs Swipe and specifically the combo of photo scroll gesture and user experience. Not Android or rather Google....

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]I'm going to patent the action of swiping my tissue-covered finger across my backside to clean myself after defecating. After I do so I will sue anyone that tries to wipe their ass.[/citation]

i really LOL'ed when i read this....good show

i'm getting stick and tired of hearing of Apple patient trolling activites and what really gets me sick is the governments and courts allowing this to happen.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
So a judge ruled that Apple can patent a gesture? I have several gestures that I would like to patent.

In fact, I have used those gestures at Apple and it's products several times (but nowhere near as often as I have at Microsoft products).

G

All these poor Samsung tablets in Europe... Samsung should drop the price to $99 and dump them in the US Market!

G

No worries, a software update and galaxy will be back...
Apple is very small compare to samsung, they know they've already lost the war on smartphones. It's no so much because other devices are already better than iphone, but because apple has tried to squeezed to much out of the operators, shooting themself in the feet.
I'll never be a fan of steve job. samsung and google rock, i just hope they will not start fighting each others after the motorola acquisition.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I could only say at times with somethings that they can patent their own interest for what they do. To say Samsung hasn't had release interest theirs about anyones guess.

Here most electronic compines don't much of anything. Usually 2nd based releases to say in terms of time. Which is fine of course to many regards after awhie.

So of it rather to say at least though that makes a place of interest for what anything would be would only be that for what anything else would be for any interest.

Still of it aids "cross-market" arguements, yes? But maybe not at some times though.

Sill again probably is many things in which it is that has a place of interest though for whatever might have its place for one that says what might be taken into account for what is say right or wrong.

Given say ideas of patent infringe may be lengthy or not. Sometimes is say useful and ideal for the interest other times probably not.

Otherwise if anything, will just be ideas of product recalls, any pre-orders to be refunded or placed into "gift" vouchers for the sack of no refunds. Or renewal of contracts that was cancelled early, and maybe one or two other things. Still not to the extent of issue of course, but still of it though does aid an interest within usually any pretaining.

Rather pretaining to those interests or not is anyones guess really.

Otherwise find Galaxies probably among product least somewhere for where they have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.