DVD Caddy/Optical Drive Caddy questions for Acer V3-571-6447

Chrisbit

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
I just picked up this laptop with a dead harddrive, popped in a working harddrive and we're up and running. I'm looking to add an SSD for booting and will literally never use a DVD drive. I'm trying to find the right caddy, or if I can use something generic that would fit properly I'm all for that too.

Here's what I got when trying to find out some details about the DVD drive. Hope this helps:

"Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.
Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification : 'DVDRAM GT70N '
Revision : 'YP10'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Drive capabilities, per MMC-3 page 2A:"

I asked on a parts store and they said a 12.7mm caddy is what I would be looking for. Is that correct? Also, from what I understand, there's no cables needed to connect this, right? I've watched a few YouTube videos (don't cringe) and none of them seem to have needed any additional wires/cables/connectors.

Any help is much appreciated! I'm definitely a newbie at this. I just replaced my first HDD in this laptop so don't be afraid to dumb it down for me ;).

Would this work for an Acer V3-571-6447 or could someone post a link to one that would work?

Update: is V3-571G the same as the V3-571 series? Anytime I find 571 it seems to have a G at the end. I have the i3, 6gb ram version (I upgraded it to 8gb).