DVD plays fine on built-in DVD-Player, but choppy when copied on harddrive?

Mira-Romi

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hey
I've got a really weird thing going on here:
When I insert a DVD into my brand new(!!!) ACER PREDATOR i7-6700HQ, Windows 10, NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 1060, it open with VLC player and plays absolutely fine.
When i copy the file to my internal SSD hard drive and open in VLC player it is very choppy.

I don't want to copy my DVDs to my harddrive but I wanted to convert some to put on a SAMSUNG tablet for the kids to watch while traveling. No matter how i converted them (handbrake, VLC) or whatever setting or compression i chose, they came out choppy. I also tried different DVDs.
I thought maybe the converter couldn't read that fast from DVD and so I copied the .VOB file to SSD internal hard drive, but when opened there also same choppy. also when I open the VOB file on the DVD it's choppy. But again, when opened automatically then it's fine.

What am I missing here? It can't possibly be the hardware, or can it?

Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to learning more about this phenomenon.
Mira-Romi

PS: I'm sorry if i'm in the wrong forum but i really didn't know into what category to put it .

Solution
What are you using to copy the dvd's, also why not do yourself a special favor and copy the dvds to the hard drive ?
4.7gb of data isn't much if you have a good size hdd of 300gb - 500gb to use.
Use this software provided, I got this from youtube late last summer
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0vpvpxqctku0bh5/Aiseesoft+Blu-ray+to+MKV+Ripper+6.3.22.exe
This is from giveaway of the day.com, its perfectly legit and aiseesoft is aware of it being free.
^ "special note to mods to prevent any misunderstandings" ^
I suggest ripping the dvd to mpeg2, adjust the settings to match the dvd fps and let it do its job.
Then use this here, make sure to select media player classic to open up the videos, use ffdshow as the decoder...

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
What are you using to copy the dvd's, also why not do yourself a special favor and copy the dvds to the hard drive ?
4.7gb of data isn't much if you have a good size hdd of 300gb - 500gb to use.
Use this software provided, I got this from youtube late last summer
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0vpvpxqctku0bh5/Aiseesoft+Blu-ray+to+MKV+Ripper+6.3.22.exe
This is from giveaway of the day.com, its perfectly legit and aiseesoft is aware of it being free.
^ "special note to mods to prevent any misunderstandings" ^
I suggest ripping the dvd to mpeg2, adjust the settings to match the dvd fps and let it do its job.
Then use this here, make sure to select media player classic to open up the videos, use ffdshow as the decoder.
https://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm

Been doing that for years and barely have any problems with it, if its still not working drop by here and ask them for help.
https://forum.videohelp.com/

Solution

Mira-Romi

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hello
Thanks for the fast response!
I think I didn't explain well what my intentions are:
I've got some DVD that I'd like to rip to put the mp4 (or avi) files on my tablet.

I've not tried yet if the tablet would be able to handle 4.7 gb files, but somehow i doubt it. Anyhow, I'd like to copy A LOT of movies for several VERY LONG flights and car drives, so 4.7gb wouldn't get me as far as I'd like to on my very limited tablet storage space, even with additional micro SD extension.

I'll try the mediafire though, thanks a lot!
Mira

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
Then lets try something, you stop procrastinating and you copy one dvd rip to the tablet.
Make sure the tablet is able to play the dvd and whatever format you chose, mpeg2 usually works best if your not looking for anything too bright and loud in HQ.
If it plays fine on the tablet, then your next step is chuck out the vlc player, I don't know what it is about that player but the quality of it has gone down hill since 2012.
Run the video file on media player classic, now if that runs fine on your ssd and it should your problems should be over with.

Mira-Romi

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
My tablet doesn't have a DVD player. It's a SAMSUNG TAB A 10.1.
Or did you mean any other way how to check if that DVD runs in it?

I copied one choppy rip and it was still choppy on the tablet.
I need to try mpeg2 though.

Side question, maybe stupid: might that be because there might be some kind of protection on the DVDs?
When I go into file Properties - Details - it says nothing for protection (just empty).

Mira-Romi

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
OK, I tried: media player somehow doesn't play the .vob file at all.
Another (already converted file) is still very choppy.
it also won't play the DVD itself at all.

Mira-Romi

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Aisesoft works like a charm. :)
Can convert any type (BluRay/DVD/probably also files) to any other format.
Especially handy are the presenting for different devices and applications. And you can customize.

no chopping, works fine on computer ans tablet.
Awesome, thank you so much!

(and uninstalled handbrake immediately)