DVR for use with STB

Zenoid

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I have a Verizon HD DVR @$20/mo and would like to switch to a STB @$12/mo and use one of the desktop PCs in the house to record video.

What do I need in a PC? surely a huge hard disk and a TV tuner card, but do I need high speed processor? how much RAM? The STB will have a HDMI output; can I hook that up to the TV tuner card and use some software solution to record video? what do people use for remotes?

Apologize for basic nature of this question; would be abjectly grateful for being pointed to relevant websites. Thank you!

Solution
The problem is most HDMI capture cards won't record becuase the stb will only record a signal without a hdcp stream which is copy protection that the stb will most certainly have. So you need a shady china ebat HDMI capture card that ignores hdcp which probably isn't really legal in today's day of age.

Assume you get past you would need something from a pc to send out ir signals to change the cable box. Recording software with an epg and all kinds of setup
The problem is most HDMI capture cards won't record becuase the stb will only record a signal without a hdcp stream which is copy protection that the stb will most certainly have. So you need a shady china ebat HDMI capture card that ignores hdcp which probably isn't really legal in today's day of age.

Assume you get past you would need something from a pc to send out ir signals to change the cable box. Recording software with an epg and all kinds of setup

Solution