EA Sports Staff Walks Off Thanks to Wii

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

EA has really gone in the crapper! First, they piss off their PC customers by not releasing titles like Madden 09 or 10, now they blame the Wii for taking their 'casual gamers'. Stop pointing fingers at everyone else for your own failures. Take a look at yourself and see what EA can do to get PC and 'casual gamers' back. I for one have stopped supporting EA ever since they decided that PC gamers did not matter.

belawrence

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I basically boycotted EA back when they essentially gave the previous generation to Sony by refusing to support the Dreamcast.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
"play and fun was coming back in"

FUN WTH FUN?!?! wth is that doing in a game, EA can't compete with such egregious expectation of a game being fun.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Just when I thought EA was starting to not blow as bad as they did recently, they come out with these idiot comments....
I started to hate EA when they gave making their first James Bond game for the N64 a try, it was GARBAGE compared to RARE's Goldeneye, I was disgusted, ashamed, and sad.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
icepick314 if your playing games on a Wii and there not slow and the graphic's don't stink then you must be playing Mario World #117. I
have rented and played most of the sports titles and they are crap compaired to anything on the PS3 or 360. You say they have a ton of good games, i say they have a big collection of junk. Out of the 200 titles they have i'd say 7 are worth buying. I gues if your a 9 year old than your probably in seven heaven with Bomber Man.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Its true, a developer focus years on creating realistic looking games to only be down-played by a console that the "casual" gamer would only use for 20 minutes. I say they should turn the "casual" gamer into one who looks forward in game development for the hardcore gaming experience. I would have left EA too. If you want casual to be associated with your games, start making games whose title starts with "Hanna Montana"... and forget why you ever entered in the gaming world after that.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Casual gaming should be a minority now as it was in the past. Gaming shouldn't have to dumb itself down to people's lack of interest and ADD.
It's sad to see that video games are taking the same route that the music industry has and catering to the stupid masses instead of working for the fans.
Why is everyone so Wii-tarded?

vancouverboy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]The Wii is a joke with sports games. The graghics stink and it plays slow. The controls don't work anything like they should. Ea should can Football on the Wii and focus on PS3 and 360. The Wii isa child's machine, let them play mario football.[/citation]

yes you're one of those "core gamers" they are talking about...

G

To guitarpeggio... the reason why the gaming industry is targeting the masses is because by definition of masses, it means a big group... much bigger than the fans, no matter how big the fan base can be... the masses of casual gamer is where the real money is... I couldn't agree more that the Wii might not be the right machine for the hardcore gamer... however, for casual gamer and for those who used to be a hardcore gamer but now for work and life reason has grew up and stop playing games (me and many of my friends), the Wii is the perfect machine to bring us back to the gaming industry... their game is short and sweet, it is intuitive and most of all, they are fun and even more fun with a group... I who has grew up from Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega, PS1, PS2, Xbox 360 (I skip Xbox) and PS3, used to be addicted to games and consider myself a hardcore gamer, but as time passes, it is hard for people who has real life commitments to spend hours and hours to play a game, just so that he or she will be good enough to get to the next stage... people just want something fast and easy... I understand that will means that my Wii do indeed sit there idle and collecting dust most of the time, but for most people who are not hardcore gamer, we don't play video games every day for like 3 to 5 hours daily... so the Wii serve it's purpose...

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
To anyone else frustrated with casual gamers, you'll probably find this pretty funny (note: Strong Language)
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=282

Anyway, I seriously hope EA goes under. They've done nothing but alienate their customers. DRM, fading game quality, etc.

DRM) Spore - need I say more?

Game Quality) Battlefield 2? A solid game. Battlefield: Bad Company? Filled with an incredible amount of bugs and glitches. 1943? Horrid. They didn't even add sound effects to the turrets.

Honestly, the company is only surviving on its former glory. Take any of EA's recent games and give it a different name and different company - no one would buy it. I encourage everyone to avoid buying these games, but if you feel the need to, try to get it used - EA doesn't make money from used games (and you'll save a few dollars, which is never bad).

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
@wowpeter

I understand it's good business. However, it's bad taste. I would rather my life's work be appreciated by people who really love the medium, than to try and amuse and milk the pockets of people who don't really give a shit.
I gave the wii a chance, but I sold it after it became clear that they had no intention of making ANY real games.
I have a life full of obligations and demands on my time, but I enjoy gaming so I occasionally make time for it. When that happens I like to play worthwhile games.
The business models that the Wii has brought about are a slap in the face to people who grew up with games like I did. I've been playing my whole life since the Atari 2600 and know I'm supposed to just call it a day and play games designed for people with 5 minute attention spans.
What the fvck ever.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
@back_by_demand

I happen to think people should do their job to the best of their ability regardless of the task. The "good enough" attitude is eroding society and that is becoming more and more evident as time goes on.
I never said creating a video game was the equivalent to a masterpiece work of art. If you job is making sandwiches, I believe you should have enough pride in it to make good sandwiches.
So please don't try to discredit my opinion by taking my words out of context and exaggerating.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I'm not disagreeing with you that it's smart from a business perspective. I'm trying to convey that it's a shit deal for real loyal gamers.
BTW, I'm not sticking up for EA. They are more guilty of this than anyone.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I agree with the people saying that the Wii is not much of a console compared to what its sales would indicate. We have six friends and relatives that have purchased one. We have children 14, 7 and 2 and were looking to get one when a relative lent one to us for a couple of weeks. They were able to do that despite having four children of their own ages 6 to 17 because after only having it nine months and buying a dozen games for it nobody in their house ever played it anymore.

We don't have a XBox 360 or PS3, all we have are three PS2 in various rooms now, my son just got rid of an xbox and around 50 games for it he never played anymore. But after the two weeks that we had it, we were convinced that we would never play it either and it wasn't worth buying for us. Now if you were someone that would use Wii fit or something along that line maybe it would be great, but after playing their dozen games and renting a dozen more that looked the most interesting to the kids at the local video/game rental store we were not very impressed. We came away thinking the PS2 was way better than the Wii so we never bought one.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
its been fun over the years watching electronic arts from there 90's riches to there 21st century blunders and waiting to see its total destruction. how much more realistic can you make the graphics really? the only difference from last generations with sports games is when they were able to make the players sweat and expand the online functions. nothing too big.

But if I had a choice in what console to get the new tiger woods on then hand down i will get it for the wii. you retards can stick to your archaic static controllers.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
"EA Sports Staff Walks Off Thanks to Wii" What??! No. No, No, NO. "EA Sports Staff Walks Off Because They Can't Deal With The Way Things Are" would be more like it, and even that is out of context. If you're hired to do a job you enjoy, but the job changes over time so much that it becomes something other than what you were hired to do, it is not unreasonable to think you might feel a little betrayed, and resign to seek a better opportunity. That choice is yours; no one is making you do it, and it can be an amicable parting. "Sir, you hired me to do 'X,' and my record shows I've done a good job. I appreciate your vote of confidence that you want me to do 'Y' now, but my desire has always been to do 'X'. I think the best thing for us is for me to pursue 'X' somewhere else, which will let you find someone with the same passion for 'Y'. Have a nice day."

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
EASUKS! They or DICE can't program 4 crap either. Let EA die, they need to go as they are useless to the PC gamer. Even tho I am a BF2 player I'd sacrafice it to have them just go away. Wii kicks EA's butt cuz EA is a bunch of college grads punchin keys and suits makin decisions without any input. Gameers make the best games and companies that listen to them will have a loyal following. Oh yea and EA...you suk! You can also let go of that DRM root kit that you egg heads botched up. got egg on ya face didn't ya.

TSM

Status
Not open for further replies.