EA Sports Staff Walks Off Thanks to Wii

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jokers_greg

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]The Wii is a joke with sports games. The graghics stink and it plays slow. The controls don't work anything like they should. Ea should can Football on the Wii and focus on PS3 and 360. The Wii isa child's machine, let them play mario football.[/citation]

+1. As long as they don't ruin the FIFA/NHL series I'm happy. I'm off the madden bandwagon since 09

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I would leave too if I was an EA sports dev. Those guys wanna make real games, games they themselves enjoy playing. They don't wanna make casual games. It's just like in music, If i enjoy metal I'm gonna make metal music, I'm not gonna make retarded Disney pop just because thats where the "masses" are. For people who love what they do it's not about the money, its about a passion.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
"For a company that has spent decades creating super-realistic gamers for core players"

Super-Realistic? Ever play their NASCAR/Racing titles? LOL.

jokers_greg

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]I would leave too if I was an EA sports dev. Those guys wanna make real games, games they themselves enjoy playing. They don't wanna make casual games. It's just like in music, If i enjoy metal I'm gonna make metal music, I'm not gonna make retarded Disney pop just because thats where the "masses" are. For people who love what they do it's not about the money, its about a passion.[/citation]

yeah, it's not that EA can't/doesn't want to appeal to the casual gamer, it's the fact that some of their employees (who just earned 100 respect points from me lol), would rather ditch their jobs, then produce crap just because the general public wants EZ mode, user friendly games (intentionally that is, some of their games suck).

jokers_greg

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Lets assume for a minute, and the is a big ask, that everyone went the Wii route. If the game programmers decided to quit and refuse to program for it, would they end up working for KFC to make ends meet?Suck it up, make the Wii game one day and the Xbox game the next day. These people are not being asked to stick pins in their eyes, just because most of the games on the Wii look cartoony does not mean they have to do the same, its not like anyone is forcing them to have massive heads a-la Japanese style...[/citation]

this isn't a question of graphics/ processing power of consoles. It's about the fact that Wii sports games are basically arcade-type, and EA wants a slice of that pie (since apparantly, it's the newest coolest thing). Some devs clearly want nothing to do with that, since they have a certain level of pride in the work they do. I don't see why everyone's knocking on them. If I'm passionate about something, and someone craps all over it, telling me to make it differently just to appease someone else, I'd tell them to shove it too

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
The focus of games should always have fun listed as #1, not graphics or being realistic. Nintendo is on the right track with focusing on fun in games, even if the graphics are equal or less than that of the SNES/N64 days. Now maybe companies will focus more on the fun factor of games rather than graphics.

jokers_greg

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]burodsx[/nom]The focus of games should always have fun listed as #1, not graphics or being realistic. Nintendo is on the right track with focusing on fun in games, even if the graphics are equal or less than that of the SNES/N64 days. Now maybe companies will focus more on the fun factor of games rather than graphics.[/citation]

fun is in the eye of the beholder? Something may be fun for the masses, but "hard-core" gamers (as the articles calls them), find realistic sports games (similar to what they watch on TV) fun. Therefore it's not about that, it's about dropping quality/passion for the general public. Similar to shipping out a pre-school version of shakespeare because the majority of the public is illiterate

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
[citation][nom]Drayeon[/nom]Businesses need to adapt and make things people want. Not try to tell people they want things that they make. And him saying the dynamics were changing and fun was coming back in? is that some kind of joke? I feel that games should always focus on fun first, then worry about making the game look pretty.[/citation]
you obviously haven't been following the gaming industry in the last 4 or 5 years. fun has been an afterthought for a while unfortunately.

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Hang on a second, this isn't like painting the roof of the Cistine Chapel, it's a game. And no matter how much you think you are an "artist" blaming customers is a no-no. You make products to fit what people want, milking the pockets is when they bang out FIFA every year as a new game instead of just doing updates.[/citation]

Thank you!!!

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
[citation][nom]guitarpeggio[/nom]I'm not disagreeing with you that it's smart from a business perspective. I'm trying to convey that it's a shit deal for real loyal gamers. BTW, I'm not sticking up for EA. They are more guilty of this than anyone.[/citation]

casual gamers can become loyal gamers if you keep them buying product.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]jokers_greg[/nom] Similar to shipping out a pre-school version of shakespeare because the majority of the public is illiterate[/citation]

exactly.

G

Prior to the 2001-ish PS/Xbox launches, there was no such thing as a great game or "core gamers". It was really just a casual gamer market all the way back to the mid 70s.

jokers_greg

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Right or wrong, first rule of a business is:- Give the public what they want.What percentage of the gamers market is the so-called "hardcore" gamer? They are a minority and when any business focusses on pleasing just a minority it will quickly go out of business.I personally like playing heavy-graphics, blood-soaked, FPS games with loads of features. But I am not so narrow minded as to realise that if it wasn't for the millions and millions of copies of low quality dross on the market the money wouldn't have been there to develop the game I like in the first place.[/citation]

Once again, this is not EA giving up on arcade games, its devs who develop a certain style of game, and don't want to sully it. EA WILL take advantage of that market believe me. Just some people don't want to dumb-down their work, to get paid.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
...whatever... Yeh, games need to get back to fun, graphics is fine enough now (not on Wii though), can we now please have some gameplay?
Question: Is jumping around and waving your arms in front of the TV "fun"? Or great gameplay? - Not to me it ain't!
Yes, industry needs to expand the market, bring in new gamers. But does the Wii do that? How much does the average Wii console get used, once the novelty is gone?
Industry have their undies in a knot of excitement about the Wii, but they don't seem to be able to make any money on developing games for Wii? So is the change brought about more by executives perceptions of what the market wants, rather than what the market actually buys? ...and comes back to buy again?
Meanwhile, as change is brought about in anticipations of great future profits from cheaply developing simple titles for "casual" gamers, Wii sales plummets through the floor.
Why? Is the hype of paltry 23-24 million transistors running at pedestrian 729 MHz finally exposed to a large enough number of people? The limits of 88 MB ram clear?
To me, "fun" is not jumping about, it's something interesting. I could be wrong, but I don't know that there is one single interesting title for Wii?

bats2jm

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Similar to shipping out a pre-school version of shakespeare because the majority of the public is illiterate[/citation]
There is so much wrong with this statement i dont know were to start.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Games are nice and complex now, but take way too much involvement for too long. I don't have hours after hours all the time to play games, only 30 minutes here and there. I don't know many games where I can just turn on the PS3 or the computer and now have to spend hours to have some fun. I do like that I can fire up CnC on the computer and just play one skirmish game for 20 minutes and then go on with house work and such.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]The Wii is a joke with sports games. The graghics stink and it plays slow. The controls don't work anything like they should. Ea should can Football on the Wii and focus on PS3 and 360. The Wii isa child's machine, let them play mario football.[/citation]
I don't know why you got negatives... this is exactly true.

Wii controls blow.. ever try golf? its nothing like golf. Just because you pretend to swing a club/bat means nothing to me. It's not simulation its just swinging your arm.

I prefer my PS3/360 over my Wii EVERYDAY... My son likes the Wii though, and i have noticed the girls tend to like it as well. Idiots.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]Games are nice and complex now, but take way too much involvement for too long. I don't have hours after hours all the time to play games, only 30 minutes here and there. I don't know many games where I can just turn on the PS3 or the computer and now have to spend hours to have some fun. I do like that I can fire up CnC on the computer and just play one skirmish game for 20 minutes and then go on with house work and such.[/citation]

Nearly every "great" game you can pick up and play for 20 minutes and leave, but you can also play them for several hours. You can go through a halo mission on normal in less than 20 minutes, breeze through a quest or two in Oblivion, etc. But the option's still there to play on legendary, or get really "into" the quest and try to do it without swinging your sword. When you look at tennis on the Wii, what longevity is there? It's fun for a little while, but you're not going to be playing it for very long. There's nothing to satiate the "hardcore" gamer looking for a challenge.

This is where all the "casual" gamer hate is coming from. Why spend the time programming a game and adding those long-term gamemodes when games that only have the 20-minute part sell just as well? Why make a great game when good sells better?

Status
Not open for further replies.