Early 2008 MacBook 4,1 - Battery Recognition

ChevySUV

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
I have spent the better part of two days trying to resolve a battery recognition problem. I have tried a host of fixes promoted online and have not been able to get anything but incomplete, short-lasting results. I have also tried different, good batteries (Apple and generic), different AC chargers (Apple and generic) and different operating systems. I have cleaned contacts, disconnected connections and reconnected them, but I can't work the magic. Generally, even though a battery is connected, the menu bar does not show a battery icon at all and System Profiler doesn't recognize the battery. After the "fix" attempts, the menu bar may show a battery icon with an X in it and again, System Profiler doesn't recognize the battery. The more successful "fixes" may show the battery icon as charging (temporarily) and System Profiler will show a battery is installed but it will not provide any specific information about the battery. What is more confusing, is that with any attempt, with the unit on, I can disconnect the MagSafe connector, the sceen will go black, but the unit doesn't actually shut down. It is still running from the battery that isn't recognized by the system! After reconnecting the MagSafe connector and pressing the start button, it immediately goes back to last screen without any start up involved.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

zahnib

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
By "different operating systems" do you mean you've tried doing a clean install? Sounds like its a hardware problem. The laptop is getting on 10 years old so it might just be on its last legs :(

ChevySUV

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017

Thanks for your response. Yes, clean installs of 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and 10.7.5 Lion. Neither corrected the problem.

zahnib

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Sounds like a pretty serious hardware issue. A trip to Apple might be your only option. Probably an issue with the motherboard or similiar. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck! :)

ChevySUV

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017