EIGHT More Leave Infinity Ward, Two Join Respawn

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
all that money spent to get the team that made great games and now all that money is walking out the door, this is a lesson to be learned here!

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Well not for Crysis 2, I guess one can say, if Crysis 2 fails due to the focus of console support, these guys could be onboard for Crysis 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

I deduce that everyone who has left infinity ward will head over to respawn in due time. curse them for shunning us pc gamers.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]It appears as though the masses disagree with you. Far Cry 2 sold 1 million copies in its first 3 weeks. Modern Warfare 2 sold 4.7 million copies its first DAY.Half Life 2 has sold about 8.6 million copies to date, again, only twice as much as Modern Warfare 2 sold in its first day.I personally hated Far Cry 2, but Half Life 2 was definitely one of the better games I've played. Modern Warfare 2, however, it just in another class of it own. I will say as a PC player that I was and still am disappointed by the lack of dedicated servers. But I won't take that one downfall and label the entire game as "horrible."[/citation]

The masses always watch Twilight. Does that make it a good movie\book\whatever?

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
26 resignations.
but 38 IW employees filed lawsuits against activision for $100m.

there should be around 12 more resignations to come.
and possibly more.

that's what activision gets for killing their goose that lays the golden egg.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Well, I would just hope that the guys who left and joined Respawn would come up with something way better than MW2. I still have doubts about their partnership with EA knowing how EA does things.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
"Unlike Infinity Ward, however, Respawn Entertainment controls their intellectual property, EA is only providing the funding"

As far as this apply I don't see problem in EA backing them up.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Yes i agree, if there is a company that deserves this it's them. They are losers for what they did and they started a War and now it appears they are in for some serious downfall. You can't treat employee's like that and not expect retaliation from the rest of the crew.

johnb4467

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Wow...that's a LOT of people to lose; Infinity Ward is likely in some big doo-doo right now.
It's nice to see workers in the game / movie industry sticking together and not letting themselves be taken advantage of. I worked for a few big-name companies in the game / VFX industry, and they all pretty much abuse their employees as far as what they require / expect of them -- the catch is...if you don't feel like taking the abuse, there are hundreds of newly graduated people who will take your place in a heart beat. Repeat that pattern over and over, and that's how they keep low-cost labor going at many companies.

G

Actually I think EA has improved much lately in terms of quality over quantity. Zampella and West have learned their lesson, they probably won't sell their intellectual property to EA like they did with Activision. Maybe now they can make the games they want to make and won't have a studio like Treyarch leeching on their work.

Instead they have the awesomeness of the CryEngine 3 and the Frostbite engine at their disposal :)

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Well, now they should start publishing articles on how many and who are left at Infinity Ward, a number that would be smaller than the ones who have left (maybe!)

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
IMO, A game that sells millions of copies the first day is a game where the people buying are wishful thinking. What did you folks say it sold in the first day? 4.1 million copies?? Those are all hype sales. There wasn't much trying before buying and such before that happened. No open beta(that I am aware of), no demo.... Just hype and a promise of being a great game. For Xbox and ps3 players I think it did just that, but, PC gamers expect a higher level of quality, features and polish. It missed the mark on the PC.(MW 2)

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Throw in the fact that 17 CURRENT employees are now suing activision, basically claiming activision is using the threat of unpaid royalites to force employees to not leave...

This is a much more interesting plot then anything those CoD writers have come up with...

Status
Not open for further replies.