envy dv7-7238nr backlighting works no picture.

rudy800

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
Hello I have a envy dv7-7238nr the backlighting works no picture. I tried uninstalling the display generic driver and video ati driver. I did get it to work after restart until I restarted again. then it disappeared. I have to use the display port hooked to a monitor to work on and that always works. I have unhooked the monitor while computer is on and the lcd led backlighting will dim out and come back on and make the noise for switching displays but that's it. I can dim the led backlight and brighten it also. THis laptop doesn't have a inverter I don't think like the pavilion. I can let it go to sleep with monitor hooked up and sometime when it wakes up they both will work until I restart the laptop.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
Try to attach an external monitor. If it works, than it is not a driver issue, but rather a hardware issue.

This issue is often the video cable that connects to the led. It is rather fragile and easily damaged. If you can find one for sale, it is inexpensive to try this fix.

rudy800

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2015
I already said that it works good with an external monitor thats how was able to test. when the display does work I can open and close the lid all i want and the display will keep working until I restart it. I really don't think its the cable because i can loose it by just restarting it with out touching the lid. when I recovered it to see if it was a corrupt config file as long as it was in low resolution it worked and at first start up after recovery it worked until restart. i can only turn resolution down to 1280 x 768 . I tried that to see if lower resolution to see if it would work more consistently.