Epic: New Unreal Engine Warrants PS4, Xbox 720

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]The Apple iPad 4 will have a more GPU GPU than the crapBox and POS3. Stupid consoles hold everything back.[/citation]

Does iPad even exist in 2005 ?

So yeah Jimmy its time to shut your pie hole ?

G

There's absolutely no hurry. It's darn expensive to make games for the current-gen consoles, there needs to be significant improvements in tools and tool-design for next-gen graphics.

Unless you want your games to be 4 hours long, or heavily reusing content.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
my 2015 a new directx will be out or OpenGL will rule who knows

so epic may have to keep making updates to the UDK or unrealengine 4 if they are waiting for the next consoles

G

2015 for new consoles? By then it won't just be a battle between Consoles vs. PCs, tablets and phones will be advanced enough that they will directly compete with the other big dogs. Tablets will have the convenience factor and consoles/PCs will have the bigger form factor to pack more power, but both will be more powerful than todays standards.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
"There's absolutely no hurry. It's darn expensive to make games for the current-gen consoles, there needs to be significant improvements in tools and tool-design for next-gen graphics."

It's darn expensive to hire Hollywood actors to do the voices and have ads running on every website and tv-station between here and Beijing, that's why some modern games have budgets of $50+ million, the actual game development costs much less.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]I think you miss the point... how long can you play a game like lets say Lair on your ps3 before the shiny graphics wear off and you realize you cant control your character properly and that you hate the game? What exactly do you think is going to happen to console games compared to pc games in the next 3-5 years? they will HAVE to scale down the graphics and you will NOT get that distant enemy drawn so you WILL get shot because consoles cant upgrade their graphics cards.[/citation]

Most games are made for consoles and then ported to PC, not the other way around.

[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]in 3-5 years 6xxx series cards will be bargain basement for gaming on. remember graphics card companies upgrade every 12-18 months.[/citation]

I was kinda hoping for new consoles before 2015 (2015 is just speculation, not written in stone).

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]kashifme21[/nom]PC gamers should stop upgrading until the next consoles role out. Then hold on to another upgrade cycle for the next 8-10 years until the next gen of consoles arrives since tech will now move forward based on console releases.I am sure AMD and Nvidia will enjoy selling harware to us on 8-10yr cycles instead of the 2-3yr cycles when games actually used to progress.[/citation]

I have been doing this for a while, and can testify that it isn't a problem to do so :)

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Gulli[/nom]Here's to consoles that can actually pull off decent resolutions and AA. Don't give me the "the gameplay is more important" sermon because gameplay is wack when you can't see a distant enemy because of the overall lowres/no-AA blur on current consoles and/or the game is running ~25-30 fps as soon as there are more than 2 characters in the screen.The next gen consoles should have HD 6xxx derived graphics and a quadcore CPU.[/citation]

Sorry to double post, but the PS3 has an 8 core CPU...

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Well, if the new Unreal engine needs a console upgrade, they should probably think about using that engine for new PC games. After all, some of us would like our rigs to be challenged. Of late, there are very few games (Crytec you traitor!!) that can challenge a lot of the PC's out there.

Also, I'm not sure the XBox 720 is such a good idea when they can't reliably keep a 360 running for more then six months without out it kickin' the bucket.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
aladin: actually it did.
they made an engine that runs great, people license it because of what it can do, and that building a engine from scratch, would take more time an money than to license it. if unreal 3 engine gets a major license for a major publisher, as a pay this much and use it however you see fit deal, than they don't make as much if they never need to buy a new engine again. i overly simplified that, but its a valid point.

It is. I should have made something in my response more apparent; I see Epic as a Game developer as much as a tech licensing firm and Mark Rein used to be involved in both sides. Ten years ago it was a very different time. Unreal, Unreal Tournament. Then UT2003, Unreal 2. Now lets go forward to November 2006. PC users, sitting in the dark wondering when Epic will throw the next bone to PC users, I don't know, Unreal 3 maybe cuz god knows Unreal 2 was not the sequel Unreal deserved. No. We get a groin kick as they release Gears of War, which by all rights is a well made game, to the 360 exclusively. What? It's not like Epic proved shooters viable on the console first. I think Bungie might have. But that's OK. Unreal Tournament 3 for everyone. Like a Bakery made four layer cake to Microsoft, Sara Lee pumpkin pie for all. You seen those Ally bank commercials with the little kids? Even kids know it's wrong to treat new friends better than old friends. And I don't even want to hear Cliffy B talk on Piracy again. Like piracy isn't rampant on the 360... whatever. Part of something is better than all of nothing. Cold hard truth is Epic, as a whole, abandoned much of the user base of its roots and is no longer the same company and any PC release feels like a burden they must endure.

The Geforce 560ti I just bought, last performance card I buy as an adult now. No point. Glad it can dual purpose with CUDA and DirectCompute. Duke Nukem Forever feels like it will be an end of an era.

G

"Sorry to double post, but the PS3 has an 8 core CPU..."

The XBOX 360 has a tri-core, so? They don't scale the way current gen PC processors do in terms of performance. The top AMD or Intel quads cores or 6 core cpu's are substantially more powerful. Architecture matters. Besides that the PS3 is running what, a GeForce 7 series GPU?

There is no real comparison between the current consoles and a good mid to high end gaming PC.

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
ANYONE trying to compare PCs to consoles are just plain ignorant, self-conscious, or just have a superiority complex. It cracks me up when people spout out that "a $80 blah blah video card can kick a consoles ass", well that $80 card didn't cost $80 when it came out, and it more than likely came out YEARS after the console did. If you try to compare the two, then you need to take a system from 5 years ago with, at most, a mid range card, mid range cpu, and the same amount of RAM as the consoles, and have no upgrades or anything done to them, and see how they run in comparison. IF ANYTHING, the PC crowd should be pissed at the developers for not optimizing the software to the hardware that is available. Anyone saying that the consoles are holding them back, would be like Porsche bitching that my Honda Civic is holding them back. It's just plain dumb. As technology evolves, especially with graphics, you get diminished returns on investments. To use another analogy, if you compare a modern sport bike right off the show room floor to a motor GP racing bike, they are VERY similar, but it'll cost an easy $80,000 just to get an extra 10-20mph top end or 2 seconds off quarter mile. The reason for ports (which I despise) is a business decision, I would wager that the install base of gamers on consoles are far greater than that on PCs. Sure PCs outnumber consoles probably like 1000 to 1, but overall, PC gaming is a much smaller market. I hope new consoles come out within the next two years just so we could have 1080/60p native, but more importantly having higher amounts of mp, realistic physics, and higher detailed environments. So please, grow up some, stop having the pissing contest, and enjoy the games for what they are.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Gulli[/nom]"There's absolutely no hurry. It's darn expensive to make games for the current-gen consoles, there needs to be significant improvements in tools and tool-design for next-gen graphics."It's darn expensive to hire Hollywood actors to do the voices and have ads running on every website and tv-station between here and Beijing, that's why some modern games have budgets of $50+ million, the actual game development costs much less.[/citation]

I wish you could still upvote posts at Tom's (the hell is up with that, Tom's, anyway? Didn't rub you the right way that people could upvote comments that expose your crap articles?) because you touched on something not many journalists write about.

They are always quick to cite the increasing game budgets and how expensive it is to make today's games, but a huge portion of that increase are increases in marketing budgets. As games become more popular and more mainstream, they are requiring bigger and bigger marketing budgets to penetrate into the media and pop culture. What was once relegated to magazine ads and the occasional commercial in the 90's has today exploded to ad placement deals with TV networks for shows, sports events, etc, ad placement in movies, unheard of amounts of ad-plastered paraphernalia, movie trailers, internet ads, countless internet trailers, TV commercials that get bigger and more costly every year, coverage exclusivity deals with websites, astroturfing in forums and blog comments, and last but not least the increasing popularity of expensive "stunts" made for marketing such as dropping thousands of GH controllers from a plane just to catch a few eyes.

All of this stuff adds up quickly and can account for up to or at least half of the game's overall budget.

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Just the basic concept of a software company pushing hardware companies to keep up seems whack to me. I realize it can happen, but it sure doesn't occur often in the gaming world.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
@alidan - From the look of things developers are only focusing on lower end graphics cards. I've yet to see a game that has photorealistic non animated graphics in the playable parts of the game (not the cutscenes). The consumer hardware has existed for some time to enable these kinds of graphics but no one has bothered to take advantage of it. Games should also use multichannel 24-bit 96KHz raw PCM audio too.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]No console maker cares, unless a few big time developers along with their publishers make actual DX11 games for pc that make DX9 look like filth, there won't be any real pressure to speed things up.[/citation]
You Wish!

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
They just need to stop making crappy console ports and leave everything up to PCs. The economy is getting better finally so it's time to leave DX9 and DX10 in the past. Make people upgrade. My guess is that most PCs out there now are at least 3 years old, maybe more, which is when the economy slowed down. It's time.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The console sector isn't "holding anything back", Epic is holding it back for consoles. Don't blame consoles because your old pal Epic went for the more financially lucrative console market. They're the ones that don't care about you.

They aren't going to change to suit you Epic, they have a stable of console only devs that have been with them for decades, your engine is inconsequential to them. If your concern is pushing top of the line hardware, return to the PC gaming sector where test statistics and resolutions are more important than gameplay. They like the product you're selling there, they like the FPS you're trying to sell, why don't you go back where you belong? Consoles were never about top of the line hardware and they never will be.

BTW for those who don't understand console hardware life cycles, they always have a year or two after the next system is released where they keep the old system around, so they can keep to their "10 year" plan and still release something in 2013, because the older system will still be around until 2015.

billyg45

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Welcome to the world of consoles, Epic. Your decision to switch platforms. Quit whinning. You should have waited to make another engine. Microsoft and Sony are still enjoying the profits off of the Xbox360 and PS3. They are in no hurry to make a new console. Your just going to have to license it to a publisher willing to create games for the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.