Epic: Ureal Engine 4 Not Until ''Next Gen''

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow, this is really good news. I'm glad some developers are preparing for the future where clockrates will not go up anymore due to limitations on Instruction level parallelism and heat dissipation, but instead core counts will go up as has been shown by NVIDIA's CUDA architecture and AMD's rising architectures as well. I'm looking forward to see if this will ues constructs like CUDA in rendering data-parallel software.

G

i bet the ps3 could handle it. and maybe even the 360 so i dont see why they cant release it before the next next gen consoles are released

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]i bet the ps3 could handle it. and maybe even the 360 so i dont see why they cant release it before the next next gen consoles are released[/citation]

You're funny. ---->256 mb of ram

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Because it would be like Crysis was to PC a couple of years ago. You may run it with minimum speck... maybe, but to have it run smootly with all bells and whistles you would need to have next generation console...
No body would like to see ultra slow slide show with their consoles. PS3 and 360 are now slow compared to PC stuff if you want to improve faster hardware is needed. At this moment though it can take some time to see the "next" generation. So the unreal engine 4 will have hard time to keep in touch with next generation hardware.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
We've had 4 waves of new cards from ATI since the 360 release (The 360 uses a X1950, and then we had 2xxx -all the way to 5xxx now).

They should release a PC only game with UE4

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]Because it would be like Crysis was to PC a couple of years ago. You may run it with minimum speck... maybe, but to have it run smootly with all bells and whistles you would need to have next generation console... No body would like to see ultra slow slide show with their consoles. PS3 and 360 are now slow compared to PC stuff if you want to improve faster hardware is needed. At this moment though it can take some time to see the "next" generation. So the unreal engine 4 will have hard time to keep in touch with next generation hardware.[/citation]
What?

It's not primarily about graphics, it's about the CPUs and the RAM on the consoles are limiting their actual game engine options for more code (AI that has a speck of intelligence, anyone? Well - I stick to MP for that little speck personally :))

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Why is it taking so long for the next gen of consoles to arrive....there aren't even any rumors circulating yet.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]i bet the ps3 could handle it. and maybe even the 360 so i dont see why they cant release it before the next next gen consoles are released[/citation]

The PS3 with 256 RAM cant even play Gears on Unreal Engine 3. Epic had specifically asked from MS to shove 512MB ram in it in order to make Gears for their console, and you seriously think that UE4 would work on a PS3?We dont even know if it will work on a PS4 for all its worth...

Anyhow, I didnt know they were developing for the past 7 years UE4 since UE3 came out just a few years ago.. Is that valid? And if the engine improvements are as big as they were from UE2 to UE3 I think ill be more than amazed. Seriously.. A so much better looking Gears or Unreal does sound unreal, graphically. Ill go drool a bit...

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I'm sure they have been using the same engine and just upgrade it when needed. I wouldn't say they have been working from scratch on UE4 for seven years, but rather incremental upgrades to the code.

tony_wilson

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
El O El wrong place dude!

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Wow... This is really old news? The only new bit was the part about Gears of War 3 which was pretty obvious anyway.

And I lol'ed at the claim of Epic making quality games. Since... When exactly? You have a nice engine, not nice games.

@Manos - As much as I don't like consoles, you're obviously wrong. Batman: Arkham Asylum? Same engine as Gears of War 2. And it's on the PS3.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the engine... It's just the games Epic make suck...

Status
Not open for further replies.