Epic VP: PS4 is Like a Perfect Gaming PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
[citation][nom]roadrunner343[/nom]This isn't a matter of PC vs Console war. They both have their place and I play both. But to say the PS4 will be more powerful than any PC is just stupid. It may be more cost effective, but it will not perform as well as high end PCs. Yes, high end PCs are more expensive, but that's not the point here.And the reason GDDR5 is not typically used as system RAM is due to high latency. GDDR5 trades response time for high bandwidth, which is fine for highly parralel applications such as GPUs. It will be interesting to see how it performs as system RAM, but this small detail alone is not going to make the PS4 a Godlike computing machine when compared to a traditional PC. It's a tradeoff, not a breakthrough.[/citation]
i'll quote you on this one "But to say the PS4 will be more powerful than any PC is just stupid." the ps4 will be more powerful than a lot of non-enthusiast PC. not everyone is running i5's/i7's paired with gtx670/680/690. most of them are running low-end hardware my friend. infact a lot of them are running old tech like core2's and old phenoms and the immovable 8800gt. so it is not stupid to say that the ps4 is more powerful than "MOST" PC's as stated by this article. hell, he didn't compared the ps4 with any high-end pc setups. lets be realistic here, people that are running a $1000+ gaming rig are a minority. just because you do, don't assume the rest of the world does too (check out steams survey for proof). the one thing he did said though that applies to every PC-owner though is his claim that the ps4 is the perfect gaming PC. since perfection differs from person to person, it is subjected to scrutiny. but i'm on him on this one. i'll pick a system that will allow me to just enjoy playing games 5+ years from now than one that will be obsolete a year from now. and i will repeat, all of that for the low low price of only $350~400 buttered up with a cherry on top. that is what a perfect GAMING PC is in my opinion.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]wall of textcitation]

GDDR5 will cruch DDR3 in bandwidth. DDR3 has the latency advantage. That is why DDR3 continues to be used for system RAM and GDDR5 is typically used in GPUs, where the additional latency makes little difference in parallel applications.

It will be interesting to see how it performs in the PS4 as system memory. Even if GDDR5 turns out to be a million times better than DDR3 for system memory, it's not like memory bandwidth alone is going to make the PS4 more powerful than a modern PC. Everything else about a mordern PC is far more powerful than the PS4. The biggest difference will be the additional layers of abstraction, as paladin pointed out, which is a very good point, but I doubt it will be enough to allow the PS4 to outperform modern gaming machines.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Just make sure it does not require a constant connection like its upcoming Spybox competitor. This is a really big deal Sony.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]nokiddingboss[/nom]i'll quote you on this one "But to say the PS4 will be more powerful than any PC is just stupid." the ps4 will be more powerful than a lot of non-enthusiast PC. not everyone is running i5's/i7's paired with gtx670/680/690. most of them are running low-end hardware my friend. infact a lot of them are running old tech like core2's and old phenoms and the immovable 8800gt. so it is not stupid to say that the ps4 is more powerful than "MOST" PC's as stated by this article. hell, he didn't compared the ps4 with any high-end pc setups. lets be realistic here, people that are running a $1000+ gaming rig are a minority. just because you do, don't assume the rest of the world does too (check out steams survey for proof). the one thing he did said though that applies to every PC-owner though is his claim that the ps4 is the perfect gaming PC. since perfection differs from person to person, it is subjected to scrutiny. but i'm on him on this one. i'll pick a system that will allow me to just enjoy playing games 5+ years from now than one that will be obsolete a year from now. and i will repeat, all of that for the low low price of only $350~400 buttered up with a cherry on top. that is what a perfect GAMING PC is in my opinion.[/citation]

Good lord, learn to read. I made one small typo and you choose to use that out of context, when multiple times in that post, and many of my other posts, I repeatedly refer to mid-high end PCs. Obviously it will be more powerful than SOME PC's. It will not be more powerful than any mordern mid-high end PC. Don't be a tool.

Again, I don't care about statistics. You're just pulling shit out of context now. I never said the PS4 wouldn't be a major success. I never said it wasn't a great deal. I merely said it would not outperform mid-high end gaming machines as many people seem to think.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
yep and this comments section has completely devolve into a specs war. The GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE can't even finished reading the article without butting up your "l33t" machines. you guys tend to skip out on the non-graphics related content like - "I've always said that the things in the next-generation that aren't just brute force hardware are all about the service and simplicity of the experience - the things that make it as fun and easy to get a PS4 game as it is to get a game on your iPad" and this - "That's what the next-generation is all about – adopting the simplicity of what we've come to know and love on smartphones and tablets, and backing it up with amazing hardware specs at a "reasonable" price. i just hope that not all of you have brains the size of haswell that has the processing power of a turd.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]nokiddingboss[/nom]yep and this comments section has completely devolve into a specs war. The GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE can't even finished reading the article without butting up your "l33t" machines. you guys tend to skip out on the non-graphics related content like - "I've always said that the things in the next-generation that aren't just brute force hardware are all about the service and simplicity of the experience - the things that make it as fun and easy to get a PS4 game as it is to get a game on your iPad" and this - "That's what the next-generation is all about – adopting the simplicity of what we've come to know and love on smartphones and tablets, and backing it up with amazing hardware specs at a "reasonable" price. i just hope that not all of you have brains the size of haswell that has the processing power of a turd.[/citation]

Let me quote you - You were the one that said a "$1000 PC would not be able to touch" the performance of the PS4. You set that budget, not me. Don't assume I am running top end hardware. You can easily configure a $1000 PC that will be far more powerful than the PS4 in terms of gaming power.

Vlad Razvan

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
If i can use a keyboard and mouse in games on the PS4, i'm happy. I hate gamepads (except for playing God of War or Prince of Persia-like games). Buy they are horrible in FPS games. It's like a one leg man at a but kicking contest.

ChilledLJ

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
THe 2GB he was referring to was the common 2 GB GDDR5 found in graphics cards, the PS4 was 8GB graphics mem. People already been talking that next gen console ports gonna need graphics cards with huge amounts of memory

Vlad Razvan

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
[citation][nom]nokiddingboss[/nom]The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race are a relentless bunch I'd give you that. Still though, all of your whining wont make a bit of difference once the next-gen consoles are out armed with exclusive console games that your $1000 PC's can never every truly touch. You can make the counter argument of PC only games such as RTS and such, but they bought a console knowing that they wont be able to play those games. While you, the elitist, expects to plow through any/every game on the market just because your PC can take the heat. But you can't play everything my hypocrite, self indulgent and arrogant PC brethren because --- boom! Console Exclusives... and boom! 4+ year guaranteed longevity spitting your $700 PC that can barely play games on medium by that time. While console gamers are enjoying games optimized to run in their unit. Its true bro. Can a PC from 2006 run the AAA games of today? Right... What's a perfect gaming PC? One that you can buy today and last for half a decade without being obsolete and cost only $400[/citation]

it's mostly about using a keyboard an mouse to game instead of that shit gamepad you dumbass. I grew up playing FPS games with a mouse. Tried both consoles/controllers - THEY SUCK BIG TIME - it's like playing with you feet!

Give me Keyboard and Mouse support in games for these upcoming consoles, and i'll buy one.

P.S. The only exclusive title that I ever wanted to play si the God of War series. Halo and Gears of war suck both poor Unreal Tournament clones.

/Flame on.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
[citation][nom]Vlad Razvan[/nom]If i can use a keyboard and mouse in games on the PS4, i'm happy. I hate gamepads (except for playing God of War or Prince of Persia-like games). Buy they are horrible in FPS games. It's like a one leg man at a but kicking contest.[/citation]
holy turd? did i now? lets see: the next-gen consoles are out armed with exclusive console games that your $1000 PC's can never every truly touch. hmm didn't that meant that because the game is EXCLUSIVE to consoles means that your PC can never ever touch it. unless there's an emulator for it then you are breaking the law and must be put in jail. either you are stupid or a liar which is it gonna be? and i wasn't even talking to you directly when i posted that. i was generalizing graphics whores. pfft.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
[citation][nom]nokiddingboss[/nom]holy turd? did i now? lets see: the next-gen consoles are out armed with exclusive console games that your $1000 PC's can never every truly touch. hmm didn't that meant that because the game is EXCLUSIVE to consoles means that your PC can never ever touch it. unless there's an emulator for it then you are breaking the law and must be put in jail. either you are stupid or a liar which is it gonna be? and i wasn't even talking to you directly when i posted that. i was generalizing graphics whores. pfft.[/citation]
opps my bad i wasn't replying to you Vlad Razvan i was replying to roadrunner but wft. sorry bout that.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
[citation][nom]roadrunner343[/nom]Let me quote you - You were the one that said a "$1000 PC would not be able to touch" the performance of the PS4. You set that budget, not me. Don't assume I am running top end hardware. You can easily configure a $1000 PC that will be far more powerful than the PS4 in terms of gaming power.[/citation]
holy turd? did i now? lets see: the next-gen consoles are out armed with exclusive console games that your $1000 PC's can never every truly touch. hmm didn't that meant that because the game is EXCLUSIVE to consoles means that your PC can never ever touch it. unless there's an emulator for it then you are breaking the law and must be put in jail. either you are stupid or a liar which is it gonna be? and i wasn't even talking to you directly when i posted that. i was generalizing graphics whores. pfft. - - - sorry about the triple posting. i made a mistake about my earlier reply and want to make it right (no edit button here). that's right roadrunner you are a liar and a prick that cant even read right.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
*sigh* I'm just going to quit, you are obviously trolling. We weren't talking about software, we're talking about hardware specs.

According to you, the Nintendo 3DS clearly outperforms the PS4, because it has exclusive titles. The point is, we were comparing hardware, you set the budget of $1000, and it is quite easy to build a machine with more powerful hardware. That's all I said.

Feel free to continue taking everything everyone says out of context and try applying it to whatever nonsense you are spewing at the time.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]nokiddingboss[/nom]holy turd? did i now? lets see: the next-gen consoles are out armed with exclusive console games that your $1000 PC's can never every truly touch. hmm didn't that meant that because the game is EXCLUSIVE to consoles means that your PC can never ever touch it. unless there's an emulator for it then you are breaking the law and must be put in jail. either you are stupid or a liar which is it gonna be? and i wasn't even talking to you directly when i posted that. i was generalizing graphics whores. pfft.[/citation]

My friend you are truly delusional. You write of things which you have no understanding of. You're coming of as a fanboy, a drone, a victim of marketing, you're either immature or can't seem to rationalize normally or without prejudice. I will give you this for thought:

-Are next-gen consoles more powerful than a high-end gaming PC of today? Simply, No.

-Will next-gen console make a big impact on gaming? Hell yes! Just the PS4 using the x86 architecture is terrific news, it means developers can actually make better games without worrying about optimization issues. And the PS4 specs makes it even better.

-Will the next-gen consoles be more powerful than older gaming PC's? Well, Duh!

[citation][nom]nokiddingboss[/nom]
i'll pick a system that will allow me to just enjoy playing games 5+ years from now than one that will be obsolete a year from now. and i will repeat, all of that for the low low price of only $350~400 buttered up with a cherry on top. that is what a perfect GAMING PC is in my opinion.[/citation]

I don't know where you get your information in assuming a gaming PC is obsolete in one year, especially if you consider the PS3's and Xbox 360's hardware. The only possible explanation could be if a toddler grabbed PC components at random and tossed it inside a PC, shaked it and somehow made everything inside work.

I also laugh at the "low" price of consoles. You're clearly not an early adopter of either the Xbox 360 nor the PS3 because if you were you would have ended up buying the same console again due to its manufacturing defects. The Xbox 360 suffered from the RROD and the PS3 with the YLOD. It's kind of sad that all my friends and the people I know who were early adopters got screwed over by this, it speaks very badly on Sony and Microsoft's part and their quality control. So now you're down $600 approximately and considering the $59.99 price tag on console games and how expensive even used games are I think you need to reconsider your statement. Because in the end, PC gaming is cheaper if you use Steam, Amazon digital and eBay to buy your games. Also, you forget the PC in Gaming PC, it means Personal Computer fyi and it also means you can do whatever the fuck you want without the consoles limitations. I won't even touch the "'premium online" services offered by Sony and Microsoft and don't even get me started on DLC's.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I think the perfect gaming system is the one that does exactly what I want it to do.

In my case, the PC is that system. It can have whatever hardware I want, whatever OS I want, free online usage, runs a majority of software, and plays just about every game on earth, dating back to the days of DOS. The only exception is 16bit installers from early win95, install it on an XP machine and copy it over and it "usually" will run fine. But I also love tweaking things, modding games, and the fun that comes with all of that.

However, for friends of mine, the perfect system is a console, specifically the PS3 for several of them, it has the games they want, it plays blu-ray movies, its plug and play with limited required tweaking or input, and it was cheaper as initial purchase then a reasonable gaming PC. They do recognize that the games and peripherals cost a lot more, but it's that upfront cost that hurts the most, esp when you come from a laptop for general computing.

The "Perfect Gaming System" Is subject to each persons opinions, needs, and the sum of cash available upfront to purchase said system.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]roadrunner343[/nom]You know GDDR5 is based on DDR3, right? 16GB DDR3 + much better GPU (With your beloved GDDR5) + much better process > PS4. Not that hard to figure out.[/citation]
Are you a game engine programmer? How would you know?

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
How would I know what? That GDDR5 is based on DDR3? That is public information, very easy to figure out.

As for the rest of the stuff, again, you don't have to be a programmer to see that even by today's standards, there are far more powerful processors and video cards available. So even if the GDDR5 performs far better than standard DDR3 as standard system memory (Which I admit, will be interesting to see) it won't be anywhere near enough to make the PS4 out perform modestly priced modern PCs.

There's been several video game benchmarks that have shown very little real-world difference in video games due to memory bandwidth increases. That, plus the fact that GDDR5 suffers from higher latency, means it is still somewhat unknown just how well it will perform (There is a reason GDDR5 isn't used for all PC systems - it is for graphics memory afterall) but I am interested to see if they can make it perform much better than traditional memor.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]roadrunner343[/nom]How would I know what? That GDDR5 is based on DDR3? .[/citation]
Don't dodge the question. How would you know that engine programmers won't benefit immensely from high bandwidth UMA and the heterogeneous architecture?

Status
Not open for further replies.