Epson Powerlite Blue Screen 3LCD

joerobert3

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
After tipping projector upside down and sideways picture became washed in deep blue or purple. Tried repeating tipping and I heard something sliding inside that sound a lot like a glass lens or sheet. The picture returned to normal as I heard the sound. Could this be something to do with the blue chip? I have a replacement chip but now I am not sure if this is the issue. Also I am not sure how to remove the dlp and do not want to break the one I have to pull from my other powerlite.

Solution
You need a ribbon cable with the right number of conductors and thickness if there are no connectors. Don't know if you can buy just a short piece of ribbon cable. You can contact United Radio in Syracuse NY. They do service for Epson.
What model Epson is it?
I don't remember them ever making a DLP projector let alons a 3 DLP chip projector that would have blue only DLP chip.
They make 3LCD projectors with 3 LCD panels which have to be aligned. If one of them fails you would not see that color so the picture would look weird. If the picture looks OK now you don't need a new LCD panel. You would want to make sure that they were not loose inside.
If you aren't comfortable with the job pay a pro to do it and have someone else to blame if they screw if up.

joerobert3

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

Yes you are correct. 3LCD. It's all a little confusing to me. LOL It's an Home Theater 8350. I think model 373a.

Thanks for the info. So I know to leave the lcd in my other unit which is only in need of a focus lens....know were I can find one, or even how to remove it?
Funny thing is I thought I had moved the blue lcd around a bit but now I realize it was only the ribbon attached to it. Guess this means I have to completely remove the motherboard to get to the chips? I suspect any trip to the repairman would result in a charge of $100 plus so I may have to just sale for what I can get, along with my other unit.
One last question if you would. I apparently damaged the menu ribbon when I unplugged it from the board. I ended up switching the menu out from the other unit because the menu buttons would no longer respond. Are all ribbons created equal or do I have to buy one made just for that connection?