Erase VHS tape

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Covering those holes has enabled that to happen and, yes, it means it can now record, and probably already is. When the holes were exposed, those two buttons could not have been depressed together. It was a cunning way of preventing accidental recording over the original music.

@The Paladin - it may interest you to know that I bought a laptop in 1989 and it has very little internal memory. Anything over a two page letter had to be stored externally and that was on cassette tapes so a lot of mine which had been superceded by 8 track...

rainbow606qh

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

ss202sl

Honorable

"What is the easiest way to erase VHS tape"

How can that be misunderstood. You asked about erasing a VHS tape..... nothing about copying to a cassette tape.

He means over the two little square holes at the back thin end of the cassette.

The duct tape fix is the Mythbusters approach to the problem. To me Sellotape will do and if that brand isn't available outside England it's a clear tape, sticky on one side only and is used mainly in offices.

I just was not sure if clear tape would do it, I don't remember if it's a physical or optical sensor, so I said to use a tape I knew was not clear. Last time I remember using a tape was sometime in the 90s.

I was more worried about the thickness of duct tape. The cassette is designed to fit in the tray tightly. Those holes in the back are there because the plastic tabs were broken off to enable recording so anything that sticks out one the back end of the cassette has to be quite thin.

Come to think of it, the holes have to be left open to be able to record over the existing content. This rather silly matter is getting more complicated.

I think it's the other way around, the tabs are there by default, if you wanted to make the tape read only, you break the tab, so to make it re-usable you need to cover that. Unless you have the sliding tabs which I think some newer or higher end tapes have.

Just for clarification:

Cassettes_I_II_IV.jpg

If the square tabs at the top of these cassettes have been removed (or are slid inward towards the center of the cassette), then the cassette was originally intended to not be recorded over.

If now, you wish to re-record onto cassettes where the tabs have been (re)moved, the others are suggesting that a strong piece of tape (like duct tape) could be used to re-cover those holes and make the cassette able to record once more.

If the tabs are still in place, then you can re-record over them as often as you wish.

-Wolf sends

rainbow606qh

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

rainbow606qh

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
I tried to cover the two little square holes at the back thin end of the cassette with scotch tape both R and play buttons are pressed simultaneously what should I do. Please help.

rainbow606qh

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

Covering those holes has enabled that to happen and, yes, it means it can now record, and probably already is. When the holes were exposed, those two buttons could not have been depressed together. It was a cunning way of preventing accidental recording over the original music.

@The Paladin - it may interest you to know that I bought a laptop in 1989 and it has very little internal memory. Anything over a two page letter had to be stored externally and that was on cassette tapes so a lot of mine which had been superceded by 8 track cartridges, were recycled into data storage tapes. I still have that laptop but it's internal battery gave out years ago.

Prior to cassettes, recorded music could be bought in the form of reel to reel tapes which played on large recorders. Naturally I still have mine and it's fifty years old - that I know because it was a 21st birthday present to me fom an Aunt. Vinyl records preceded that mode and they're making a comeback, rather from nostalgia than quality of the music which is as bad as it every was. Before that was the cylinder but I don't go back quite that far.

Proof if proof were needed that every Tech Forum needs an oldie. It's great to be pushing 71 and still have some use to someone and you younger folks can revel in making predictions of technology to come before you hit that age. .

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.