Eurocom/Clevo laptop Caps and Num lock blinking

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014
Today, when I arrived home and powered on my eurocom M3 laptop (aka clevo w230st), I noticed the fan speed rapidly increasing. After a few moments, the fan was on full speed and the laptop started beeping really loud. The num and caps locks were blinking, and the laptop system beep was repeating every second. Having experienced it once before, I knew the only way to stop it was by a force shutdown, so I shut it down. Last time, it healed itself after shutting down. This time, it kept repeating the fan speed up and beeping everytime I switched on the laptop. Note: It is slightly over 1 year old and has a custom "Prima bios" flashed.
Will re-flashing the bios work?
Could someone help me out?
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Edit: it was not overheating. Also, it is on right now, and has not gone into the beeping so far (2 mins), but I fear it will happen again very soon

Solution
Okay, so from the research I've been doing, it sounds like the solder that holds your CPU on the motherboard has come loose and is shorting it out due to overheating. Some people suggest doing this:

"If it comes on and doesn't do anything but stay on the black screen, and caps lock keeps flashing, a weird trick to get it to come back on is to overheat it.

Wrap it up with sweaters or leave it on in your bag for about 30 mins and it will overheat and turn itself of due to the CPU overheating. Then it may come back on.

Its not a permanent fix, but it works for me. I use Sleep instead of Hibernate now and the trick works more often.

Got it from here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Ha..."

There's also this trick you can try...

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

It goes something like this:
Beeps loudly for 1 second
Nothing for 1 second
Beeps loudly for 1 second
Nothing for 1 second
Repeat

So no distinct pattern, only continuous stable beeping.
The laptop is ok now, but I'm super afriad of it happening again. It has already happened once only a month or so ago.

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

I think the caps and num locks blink until I force turn it off. At least I'm sure the sound doesn't stop until I force shutdown

dor_nob

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Okay, so from the research I've been doing, it sounds like the solder that holds your CPU on the motherboard has come loose and is shorting it out due to overheating. Some people suggest doing this:

"If it comes on and doesn't do anything but stay on the black screen, and caps lock keeps flashing, a weird trick to get it to come back on is to overheat it.

Wrap it up with sweaters or leave it on in your bag for about 30 mins and it will overheat and turn itself of due to the CPU overheating. Then it may come back on.

Its not a permanent fix, but it works for me. I use Sleep instead of Hibernate now and the trick works more often.

Got it from here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Ha..."

There's also this trick you can try:

"Give it a little TLC. Kinda like administering CPR chest compression's but, much more lightly and gentle. Pressing with you palm on the keyboard area keys T,Y,U,I,O,7,8,9. It really works!"

You can also look up a procedure called "reflowing". There should be youtube videos or other google links. These are all temporary fixes, and may not last long. What you ultimately need to do is have your CPU reballed. This means your CPU needs to be desoldered from the motherboard and redone. I had to have a similar thing done to my MacBook Pro a while back. I found a service on ebay that did it and it worked great and wasn't too expensive. You should be able to find a similar service for your problem.

Solution

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

Thanks so much!

I may try it next time if it happens again (I feel like it's a bit risky). The laptop did work when beeping, so it doesn't seem too bad yet.

RickSore

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Hello, no to necrotize this thread, but did you fix your laptop?
I am experiencing this kind of error too, and I have already tried reballing the GPU.
Hoping for your reply.

Thank you.