EVER Charges Moving EV Cars Wirelessly Through Street Surface

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Why not give up the use of cars themselves ? The only purpose of cars was always to make money for big corporations, by giving you a false sens of freedom of movement... they don't give you freedom, they make you slave to the oil industry, and the state, for which you have to pay huge taxes to own and operate that vehicle.

Hundreds of millions of people go to work by the use of train/metro/bus/bikes (which are ALL much easier to make electric versions, or are ONLY electric right from the start) each day, and it would be even better for them if there was more investment in such systems, instead of trying to find a "solution" to a failed self-destructive system.

Humanity needs to wake up from this nightmare that wastes unbelievable amounts of resources and energy for the idiotic concept of the personal car. But then, I expect this post to be down-rated by the countless zombies who inhabit the planet right now. Oh well...

G

That should keep the jaywalkers in line.... If you don't use the crosswalk, you're gonna get fried!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]Why not give up the use of cars themselves ?...[/citation]
Oh, come on. Your statements are only true if basic human nature and intent, as measured by actual outcomes, is somehow ignored. IF what you said was true, the resulting ideas would be true, but your premise that demand was created by 'corporate greed' (whatever that means - as though corporations are free living/thinking entities) is simply false. If you think that the availability (and marketing induced 'need') of automobiles induced a want for suburban living, then your level of paranoia is greater then the people who (falsely) believe that 'big oil' corporations buy up all competing energy production technologies and hide them in a warehouse.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]Why not give up the use of cars themselves ? The only purpose of cars was always to make money for big corporations, by giving you a false sens of freedom of movement... they don't give you freedom, they make you slave to the oil industry, and the state, for which you have to pay huge taxes to own and operate that vehicle.Hundreds of millions of people go to work by the use of train/metro/bus/bikes (which are ALL much easier to make electric versions, or are ONLY electric right from the start) each day, and it would be even better for them if there was more investment in such systems, instead of trying to find a "solution" to a failed self-destructive system.Humanity needs to wake up from this nightmare that wastes unbelievable amounts of resources and energy for the idiotic concept of the personal car. But then, I expect this post to be down-rated by the countless zombies who inhabit the planet right now. Oh well...[/citation]
what tree did you fall out of? Mobility is freedom. Societies with the best/cheapest/fastest mobility ALWAYS end up having stronger economies. Those large economies then allow the people who live in such societies to have more materiel possessions, and enjoy a much higher quality of life. I would be the first person to say that these are not the only important things in life (family, charity, and religion I feel are also extremely important), but to say that I have to work harder for less because of an inefficient infrastructure is something I will pass on every single time, and giving up my car would severely limit where I can work, who I can associate with, how often I can visit my family (and how often they can visit me), where I can do business, and it would greatly enable local, state, and federal governments to have more control over my life by dictating when and where I can go through mass transit.
I work ~45 minutes away from where I live, and work with a great team of people who live just as far in the opposite direction from me. If we did not have cars then we would either not be able to work together, or be forced to ride public transit for ~4 hours a day (2 hours there, and 2 hours back) for the 'privileged' of having a job we want and enjoy. There are some advantages of being able to do something other than driving, but what could you do for 4 hours a day on a bus? Public transit is great for short distances on a dedicated route, but for most people it is simply not an option.
Keep in mind too that there are a great many things that solar and batteries simply cannot run efficiently such as trucks, airplanes, and long distance trains. All things that are required in order to have a full and effective economy, and cheap goods (such as food, appliances, and even services such as mail).
And give up on the bull of global warming. It is a lie, and the green movement has it all wrong on it's quest to get everyone to go to electric vehicles in the first place. I mean, have you seen what goes into batteries? and how often they need to be replaced over the average 20 year life of a car?!?! And on top of that, just where do you think the power for that car comes from? It is coal instead of oil, which is arguably even worse for the environment on that one point alone. The modern electric car we have today will go down in history as being one of the absolute worst pollutants ever! But we will move to electric because in the long run it is cheaper, and has more promise than gas does for light to medium workloads because gas tech is at the end of it's development cycle, and electric is finally hitting it's stride. Until we can get off of traditional batteries though, and move on to fuel cell/hydrogen batteries or some other medium, then modern electric cars are of no use to the 'save the planet' movement. It is just humanity moving from the overlords of the gas companies to the overlords of the power/battery companies. A cheaper overlord that I am more than willing to move to, but otherwise no better than the previous one.

By the way; my yearly tax to own and operate a vehicle is $52... it is by far the smallest tax I pay in life, and it is paid to my local government, who I personally think does a pretty good job of things. Even when you include gas taxes I still spend more on taxes every year to own my home, work at my job, or even purchase items in the store. Your arguments have hereby been debunked, go hug a tree and feel better.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]They already have things for that its called a charging station http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station. This is for charging your vehicle while in motion so your EV can go more than its prescribed mileage. Basically if this system was implemented on all the interstates people with EVs would only need batteries when they were traveling on the surface streets or back roads. That would actually make them a halfway decent idea... save for the gps transmitter they will have to put in the car to keep track of how much time you spend on the highway to charge you for the electricity you use. Cause you know government wont give you stuff like this for free.[/citation]
Yes, I know there are charging stations available (in some areas). I want something passive so that some dumb kid does not knife my electric tether while I am away from my car for 6 hours, or someone does not unplug my car and plug in their own. Something where I can simply park my car, and do nothing else (except perhaps feed a meter or something) and preferably something that is part of the car (like solar) where I do not have to pay some sort of daily fee.
What is really neat is the idea of having a dedicated lane for electric vehicles where a car can 'dock' to a mobile platform which charges the car while you are on autopilot. When you get near your destination city you are then woken up, ejected from the system, and spit back on the traditional road with a full tank of gas. The most appealing part of this is if it is a real platform that the car could park on, and save wear and tear on tires and other key parts of the vehicle, and could move at 150+mph to save on time. A few years back a company (monomobile?) made a pitch to Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus to make a 'trial freeway' of this sort of idea (granted I think it was a dock the car drove beside, not a platform), but all 3 governments turned it down. It was still a neat idea anyways, and may be the only viable way to make really long travel a reality for electric cars.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
absolutely will not work. road goes thru a swamp or by/near a lake let alone cutting right thru one and we haven't even gotten to rivers creeks and streams yet.
electricity is going to leach into the body of water.
SNOW.
ICE.
RAIN.
going to be a fun walk, in any of these conditions; to get help when your car blows a tire or breaks down! electrocution, not just for death row prison inmates or utility line workers any more!
costs? trillions in materials and labor, let alone redesign.

a better idea would be to do what is already done, hot swapable battery packs. like changing out a fork lifts battery or a propane tank your your cordless drill battery.
it would also create /keep jobs for people at filling stations. it takes less than 5 minutes to swap out a 2 ton forklift battery.

i like GE's solution since the 70's the best, fossil fuel (propane/gasoline/diesel) turbine generator for electric motors. just have one of those puppies in place capable of getting your vehicle to it's destination at 55-70mph to recharge the battery in the mean time while you get to a charging point.

screwing around with anything less is a joke and will not be easily or readily adopted.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]This sounds good, it can also be implement for consumer electronics such as cell phone and laptops, you'll never have to worry about running out of juices.[/citation]

Ever heard of PowerMat? They are available right now! There is a mod tutorial for ishit on web since rotten apple won`t support it out of the box.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
The Egyptians didn't have friggin alien technology people get a grip. Honestly i think current wireless power transfer is crap. Its wasteful and pointless. Plug your damn car in plug your damn phone in. This is a technology better suited for the future because right now its just a gimmick because it wastes too much power.

G

Hahahaha........ok...let's say ya got 500,000 cars on the highways in a highly populated state at today's numbers including all brands of EVs, and they're all sucking up enough power to charge their batteries.....maybe about the amount of power a volume like 50,000 homes....ok, so exactly WHERE is all this extra power going to come from? California, for instance, already has brown outs....and remember....supply and demand raises prices......if nothing else, this delusional dream would send your electricty rates skyrocketing.
Before anything like this could ever be realistic, a state like California would need a few nuclear reactors just for charging cars.
But before this rediculous idea is even considered for further study, there are plenty of untapped BTUs from engine waste heat and unburned fuel....a car's exhaust manifold for example, has enough heat to violently boil pressurized refrigerant to the point of developing over 10 times that of water, for the use of a steam style turbine.......a small turbine with power like this would be able to develop enough horsepower to put out a constant 1 to 5 kilowatts (one kilowatt is what your microwave uses) virtually constantly....depending of the amount of fuel being ingested.
And why wouldn't this technology be better turned inside out, by DUMPING power into the grid from every car having regen brakes, by having receiving strips the last 300ft approaching intersections, so all the stopping cars could send the power to the grid? Add a meter to your car, and it could be a "credit/debit" system......against your home power bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.