General Laptop Advice From An Old Pro.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Well try to remember that Gateway is a division of Acer along with eMachines and Packard-Bell. Acer might have a larger profile there because they are a huge laptop maker but you might be able to find Packard-Bell or eMachines there as well. As I always say, laptops are like people and are all the same under the skin. It doesn't matter if it's Acer, Toshiba, Sony, Dell, etc. as long as it has the specifications you're looking for, in this case, an A6 or A8-series AMD APU. As for the market for Llano expanding, absolutely! Llano has become the darling of OEM manufacturers everywhere because of its simplicity to manufacture coming from the fact that the CPU and GPU are all in one chip. I chose the one I did because it's the most common size. I'm certain that 15" Llano-based laptops are also available.

Well of course, that is very true. The problem is that this is ALWAYS true. There is always something new around the corner and so all that you can do is wait as long as you can and get what's best on the day that you buy. If we are constantly waiting for the next big thing then we'll never end up getting anything. A good example is my desktop. I bought the first model of Phenom II X4 that came out, the Phenom II X4 940. Now, I knew that 6 months later, the AM3 CPUs would be out that would use DDR3 RAM but I needed something right away. My Phenom II doesn't support DDR3 but after using a friend's machine with the 955 and DDR3 RAM, I realised that there is not an appreciable difference between his computer and mine. The differences between CPUs in the same family tends to be very slight because hardware has completely outpaced software and pretty much all modern computers are able to handle the computational requirements of all programs on the market. As you saw, the A6 will run Starcraft II with no problems which means that anything weaker than that (pretty much anything that isn't gaming) will be an absolute breeze.

If your photos are 6-15MB each then they are very high resolution but that's not an issue here because that laptop has a 500GB hard drive which actually translates into 488GB. That means 488,000MB which also means over 30,000 15MB pictures. I don't think you're going to have a storage issue here. In fact, I think you're most likely going to have at least 100GB free at any given time. Llano-based laptops also have a HDMI output which will allow you to plug into a 52" HDTV and allow you to do the photo work on a grand scale.

The biggest reason a company would have all-Dell computers is that Dell gave them a good deal. Their internal parts are no different from anyone else's because they don't manufacture CPUs, motherboards, hard drives, RAM, DVD drives, power supplies, etc. They just assemble them and put their name on them. Having said that, if they are acolytes of Dell, then let them get Dell. The Vostro 3450 looks like a fine machine that will do all he needs without being overly expensive so if he gets that one, it's not a real problem. I was thinking only of the battery life which would be relevant to his travels as it's not always easy to find a place (or the time) to plug in your laptop to recharge it when you're on the run. If he wants the Dell, let him get the Dell. The Dell is not by any means a bad machine, far from it. I just base my recommendations on the absolute best value for what you need it to do. In this particular case, the biggest advantage that the Llano brings is the battery life because your computational needs and graphics requirements are not tremendously high. Non-moving 2D photographs are a snap for even my primitive eMachines laptop with the ATI Radeon X1200 GPU. The Llano A6 could handle them while lying in a sofa eating grapes and watching TV, so to speak. Get the Dell for your husband (just to make him happy) and let him see what your laptop can do as well. He may well get pig-headed about getting his own AMD Trinity laptop a year or two down the road. :sol:

mahcs

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
SUMMARY: My advent laptop of about 4yrs is malfunctioning so I need a new laptop, I need to buy a new one fast but I am looking for a long lasting laptop with battery life over 3 hours, I am really interested in acer aspire series but am getting mixed internet reviews ( I am not a brand's person btw)

1. What is your budget? £250-£500 (about $400-$800 USD)

2. How much battery life do you need? over 3hours

3. Do you want to play games with your laptop? No

4. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) surf the web for my research, only watch videos and online programmes

5. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? enough to store hundreds of essays and pictures

6. How long do you want to keep your laptop? minimum 3 years

Any advice and/or comments would be much appreciated!

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Well it looks like PCWorld, Dixon's and Curry's have the exact same laptop for the exact same price. Their websites are also more or less identical so it makes me think that they may be one and the same company. They are Toshiba Satellites.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-l755d-12l-15-6-laptop-red-10732329-pdt.html
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-l755d-12l-15-6-laptop-red-10732329-pdt.html
http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-l755d-12l-15-6-laptop-red-10732329-pdt.html
If you really are interested in the Acer Aspire series (which yes, get mixed reviews on the web but so does every other brand), then play.com might have what you're looking for:
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/3227/2494/-/21427696/Acer-Aspire-5560-AMD-A6-340M-6GB-500GB-15-6-inch-Windows-7-Home-Premium-64-bit-Laptop-Notebook-Black/Product.html
Those are the ones I'd recommend for the same reasons stated above. :sol:

deepsudden

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hi dear,
thanks for maintaining this thread for such a long time with this level of care and benevolence..!!!

Here is my Q. I wanna run AutoCAD, Mathematica and Age of Empires 3. Max I can spend is almost 625 USD. Please recommend a few laptops for me....

What about AMD A series APUs???

alexoldshane

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Hey,
Read everything in this thread and just want to thank you for all the info you've been putting out and just how eye-opening this has been.

However, I'm not too amazing at laptops. Always been a desktop guy. Was kinda hoping you could help me out with what kinda laptop I should be looking at, or a specific one.

My max limit is about 1400 USD. Pretty sure I can find something below that, but that's what I've got to work with currently.
I'm honestly not sure how much battery I'll need. But for flights, or where battery is only power available, I suppose 4 hours would be reasonable. Not too certain how long average is anyways.

The only games I really play very often is WoW. Not mandatory for my laptop though, but would be nice to be able to play on low/medium just for performance incase something big occurs, theres no chance it'll lag.

Currently, I have a 2TB external harddrive in which I store all my movies, tv shows, and backup copies of my personally owned xbox 360 games. I do occasionally burn the movies and games. But having a nice burner would be nice as well. Though, I always burn at lowest speed anyways just for as near perfect burns as possible. Not to mention, most of my burning would be done at my desktop, except for long periods of time I'm out of the country, which doesn't happen very often. Maybe once a year.

Kinda want to be able to keep the laptop for a good long while. Somewhere in the area of 5years+ if possible.

Only thing really extra I need is a DVD burner capable of doing a DL DVD.

Basically, I do a lot of video watching. Online and on harddrive. Something able to handle that and online gaming enough to be able to handle WoW raids if I so desire without DC or lag.

Eternith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I'm interested in the new AMDs but once again its a contest of Intel vs AMD for me. I'm a gamer but this laptop won't be primarily for gaming, it'll just be a bonus. How well do A6/A8 perform in games compared to i5+discrete card for around same price?

I see AMD A8s and i5-2410+GT550m laptops at around $700. A6s are about $100-200 cheaper. How much performance increase will the first tier choices give compared to an A6, is it worth the $200?

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
cpu performance wise its a decent jump. i have met a cpu bottleneck with a few games on a i7 2630qm so i would say the 15 would pull ahead on that gpu.

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Absolutely I would recommend AMD's A-series APUS! That's is my general recommendation for 99% of laptop users today. The A6-3400M seems to be more than most people need and it's not expensive at all. Good call there! :sol:

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Well here's the good news. NOTHING you do is considered high-end and you shouldn't be paying more than $500 for a laptop that can do what you want it to do with ease. Again, the AMD A6-3400M is the sweet spot for you. WoW? It can play Starcraft II with ease! Movies? We've been watching those on PCs since the days of the Pentium-III! DL DVD burners? That's all they've made for the last 3 years and they cost about $20 for a desktop version. There are no non-DL DVD-RW drives around anymore and there haven't been for years! Trust me, you're good at $500 or less with an AMD A6-3400M laptop. If you want to upgrade later, save the $900 you would have otherwise spent and get something that makes even today's top laptop look like a netbook! :sol:

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I don't think it's worth it for what you want. I think that the A6-3400M is the sweet spot right now and the fact that it's selling for under $500 is icing on the cake. Sure, the Intel CPUs are faster but their graphics are horrible. The overall performance of the AMD A6 is very well balanced and is far more versatile than anything Intel makes. The really big advantage is the fact that it lasts for about 6-8 hours on battery alone because of the power savings achieved by having the CPU and GPU inside the same chip. The fact that AMD is a much more honest and ethical company than Intel not only means that you get the best deal but that you get to feel good about the purchase as well! :sol:

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

i think you missed the fact that it is a a6 vs a 15-2410+gt550
i have had a cpu bottle neck with an i7 and a gt540m is a select few games so i could imagine the i5 and even more so the a6 bottlenecking the gpu.

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I think you missed the fact that I posted a video of the A6-3400M playing Starcraft II perfectly. I also think you missed the fact that the battery life of the A6-3400M is literally DOUBLE that of the i5 with a discrete card. Very few people need an i5 in a laptop and for what these good people have said that they want their laptop to do, the A6-3400M is more than enough. As a result, battery life becomes important and the i5 just doesn't have it. End of story. :sol:

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=m8RUTrlpEHg&gl=US
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-550M.42264.0.html
thats playing it on low setting with low res.... the gt550m will play it with double the frames and will even play it with decent frames on high. i also believe that a i5 + a 550m will get 5 or more hours of battery life(i get 4-4.5 with i7 2630qm 540m) so if an apu can get substantially better life then that ill be surprised.

the 550m is a much better solution and sense he says he is a gamer i seriously doubt he will be satisfied with low res and details.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
also pc mark vantage scores at 1024 x 768 for both gpus are 4925 for the Radeon HD 6520G graphics and 7291 for the gt 550m. thats a huge difference and not to mention the huge difference in cpu power.

Not so much. Doing a little fact checking I found out a few things.

Just on the chance NewEgg might have screwed up I checked Gateway's NV55 webpage to see what they said. Looks like NewEgg got it right.
ss530.jpg

4400mAh battery is about average these days. In fact the Acer Aspire AS5750G-6496 also has a 4400mAh battery for it's i5-2410M / GT 540M mobile power source. With a 4.5hr battery run time. I peeked at the Acer webpage just to make sure NewEgg got that right too.

What a conundrum. How could this be? Hasn't anyone noticed this before now?

Turns out it's not quite been overlooked and the guys over AnandTech were checking it out: Battery Life: All Day Computing
In that example they were looking at the higher end A8-3500M / HD 6620G vs Core i7-2360QM / GT 540M, with a few other models thrown in the mix as you'll see.

Setting aside the issue of difference sized batteries and looking at relative battery life (minutes per Watt hour) it's pretty clear AMD has improved greatly over the days when they trailed far behind in battery life. Still...

To claim the A6-3400M is double the battery life of a Core i5 w/ discrete card there needs to be a much larger disclaimer about under what conditions that might occur. And maybe an acknowledgment where A6-3400M might still falls a bit short in battery life thrown in too.

AntiZig

Distinguished
I have to agree with WR2, llano APUs only made it possible for AMD to compete with the new sandy bridge lineup, not beat it outright. The main focus of llano was to beat out i3 and in that regard they did a good job, typical i3 laptops don't have dedicated GPU juice to match llanos, but if we move to higher end of i5 and i7 with dedicated cards, APUs come very short in terms of graphics performance. I think they are a good budget choice for small form factor like 14" with 1440x res or so, but if you want good graphics in 1080p, dedicated card is still better than llano.

@WR2
I'm not entirely sure why people like anandtech bother to take different laptop models and then compare CPU performance across the board. It's very poor choice since battery power capacity is not directly proportional to total run time (mAh/kW != minutes) you have to look at total system consumption. ATech did mention all this in the article but then they did the comparrisons anyway, I honestly fail to understand their purpose for admitting error and unfair comparrison criteria between the tests and then publishing the results anyway to have it post at some face value... In my understanding if one wanted to compare SB to llano, one would get a barebones laptop that could take either of the processors, pop them in and then run the tests, that way at least you got a chance of having accurate results. While they doing lets take some 11" and compare them to 14", umm hello?, the LCD screen eats battery power too you know...

@AntiZig
I don't think AT is trying to exactly measure some exotic 'apples to apples CPU thing' but did demonstrate what real consumers can expect with real products they might end up purchasing. And then going on to show system power consumption relative efficiency.
Kind of had to do that to explain and support their conclusions like 'Overall, for the first time in a long time, AMD is able to offer battery life that competes with and even exceeds what Intel offers with their current mainstream offerings'.

As for not testing every possible combination available? Some times you just got to cook with what you have in the kitchen. And I don't think they intended to do much more than show AMD battery life is competitive.

Total system consumption was measured. First in system battery endurance (Battery Life) and then in system power consumption efficiency (Relative Battery Life).

As an informed consumer that article has the type of information that is most useful to me. It showed the correlation of battery capacity to endurance in common tasks. It gave some insight into total system efficiency. And it can help people make informed purchase decisions and not get overwhelmed by marketing hype, pushy sales people (or contradictory forum opinions).

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Well to the 2 hijackers, here is what was said by this very site concerning battery usage and life span. Feel free to argue with tomshardware all you want. Also keep in mind that the mule tested is the A8 which is more power-hungry than the A6.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a8-3500m-llano-apu,2959-22.html
I don't really know what you two are trying to achieve with all of this but everything I've said has been confirmed by the very site we are posting on. If you have problems with that, please see to it that you take it up with Don Woligroski as I really don't want to waste the effort. You're talking about gaming performance when not one person here said they needed gaming performance. They said they wanted something that was a good all-rounder with good battery life for tasks that are really quite simple. If someone said that they wanted a mad gaming machine, I would have been saying what you're saying (with more tact probably). I pointed out that the A6 CAN run Starcraft II with no trouble as proof that it can do everything below that level with even more ease, not because I'm calling it a gaming monster. I made this thread to help people, not to argue with people who want to dispute tomshardware's own findings. Thank you. :sol: